HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 6:58 PM

That Politico article is great and interesting.

I was really intrigued by this part:

"In 1973, Governor Calvin Rampton advanced a law that would create a land use commission empowered to help local governments follow planning guidelines. With the support of 28 of Utah’s 29 county commissions, state health officials, environmentalists, garden clubs, both of Utah’s U.S. senators, the federal agencies, and the Salt Lake Area Chamber of Commerce, it passed the Republican-controlled legislature. But developers hated it and mobilized a petition drive that put the issue up for statewide referendum. The John Birch Society and the far-right American Party told voters the law would contravene God-given property rights and allow state officials to dictate what color to paint their homes. The American Party’s leading light, Ezra Taft Benson—president of the Latter Day Saints’ Council of Twelve Apostles (the second highest governing body in the church) and later the church’s president—declared their effort to be based on “divine and eternal principles” and followed the philosophy of his “own church people.” Voters overturned the law by a margin of more than 60 percent, dealing Rampton the greatest political defeat of his career."

Does anybody know anything about what this plan would've entailed? Maybe it's a good thing it didn't pass, since planning ideas from that era were often destructive, but it would be fascinating to see the details of that proposal.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 10:21 PM

Some point and shoot from my phone

University and Wasatch Range

Downtown and Oquirrh Range

Last edited by Liberty Wellsian; Aug 22, 2017 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 9:39 PM

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 1:49 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Any news on Bishop PL? As much as I have loved having a fenced off street filled with boarded up houses this past two years, I would really love to see somthing happen here.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 3:10 AM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
Thanks for your updates!

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 5:59 PM

I know everyone hated the artwork stand in they used on the rendering for the new DA offices. I was wondering if anyone has noticed if they have actually placed the permanent artwork up yet, or if it's still in production. I would like to see a pic of the 'real piece'. Hopefully, it will be an improvement over the mock up on the rendering.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 6:24 PM
Engineer

It's been up for a while but it hasn't been revealed yet. Each different piece is being kept covered until, I'm guessing, work on the building is finished. I've been meaning to snap a pic of it and many other projects.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 7:31 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

This thing might look kind of cool. They posted it on Facebook.

I think the city should also install a diagonal crosswalk on 300 W & South Temple.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 9:06 PM

New Vivint Smart Home Arena Video

I don’t know if you guys have seen this but they just posted an animated tour of the new vivint smart home arena and it looks cool

Vivint Smart Home Arena video - https://youtu.be/sIL79ZYZu1E

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:07 AM

It is going to look fresh!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:26 AM
They all float down here

I bet the crowd noise will be severely impacted by these changes - especially the more openness and the plush chairs. It'll still be loud, but the bowl being enclosed helped trap the noise and the hard, plastic chairs didn't absorb the noise like the plush chairs will.

Still, much needed. Just wish the exterior was nicer. It's still quite ugly.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 4:45 AM
One Thing At A Time

I'm stoked on those vendor choices though. R&R during a game. Yes sir.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:16 AM

I think it's one of the better looking arenas in the NBA. It has a timeless elegance about it that is not looking dated like so many of the others. Even many of the newer arena exterior designs already seem a bit tacky and trendy.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 10:00 AM

I agree with you delts. I think the arena is a nice, simplistic design that has aged well in comparison to many arenas. It's not exceptional, but it's a clean, timeless look that I've never thought of as an eyesore.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:22 PM
They all float down here

Oh come on. It's a concrete box. There's no elegance to the Viv.

It's not the ugliest arena in the NBA but it's nowhere near the top. It's bested by arenas in Portland, Sacramento, Dallas, Brooklyn, Orlando, Toronto, Indiana, Atlanta, Chicago and probably soon to be Detroit, too. I'd say the Viv is better looking, in terms of exterior, than Golden State, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Minnesota, Milwaukee and Boston, tho.

Definitely not one of the better looking arenas in the NBA and I'm guessing most sports fans would agree with that take.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Oh come on. It's a concrete box. There's no elegance to the Viv.

It's not the ugliest arena in the NBA but it's nowhere near the top. It's bested by arenas in Portland, Sacramento, Dallas, Brooklyn, Orlando, Toronto, Indiana, Atlanta, Chicago and probably soon to be Detroit, too. I'd say the Viv is better looking, in terms of exterior, than Golden State, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Minnesota, Milwaukee and Boston, tho.

Definitely not one of the better looking arenas in the NBA and I'm guessing most sports fans would agree with that take.
Well haven't you noticed? Everything Delts says about anything in Salt Lake it will Always be among the top of the entire US! If not the Continent According to him Salt Lake and Utah has the best of everything in America

I agree its a nice stadium but its nothing superb.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasscom View Post
Well haven't you noticed? Everything Delts says about anything in Salt Lake it will Always be among the top of the entire US! If not the Continent According to him Salt Lake and Utah has the best of everything in America

I agree its a nice stadium but its nothing superb.
I've noticed that too!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:05 PM
Development Junkie

A friend of mine just finished a fourplex just off the 600 North exit. The upstairs east unit has an AWESOME view of downtown! The photo below was taken from 600 North.

If anyone's looking for close to downtown living here's a link to the open house.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 6:26 PM

IMO, of all the arenas you sighted I think only Dallas and Atlanta really stand out. It's only my opinion, but most not only don't best the Vivent arena, but except for Atlanta and Dallas are not as attractive. In fact, after taking a look at your list, my opinion of the Vivint Arena has only improved. Very much agree about Atlanta and Dallas being outstanding. Not sure about Indiana. It's nice, but if they're going to go the traditional route they should go all the way, such as Dallas .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Oh come on. It's a concrete box. There's no elegance to the Viv. It's not the ugliest arena in the NBA but it's nowhere near the top. It's bested by arenas in Portland, Sacramento, Dallas, Brooklyn, Orlando, Toronto, Indiana, Atlanta, Chicago and probably soon to be Detroit, too. I'd say the Viv is better looking, in terms of exterior, than Golden State, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Minnesota, Milwaukee and Boston, tho.

Portland: I guess there's room for subjectivity, but I honestly don't think this arena is that attractive. IMO, it's okay at best, but definitely not more attractive than Vivint

Sacramento: Renderings are very cool. Somehow the execution is not nearly as attractive at this point

Dallas: Yes, I agree it's one of the best

Brooklyn : A part of it is pretty cool, but the majority is not so much. I wouldn't want to see it anywhere in the downtown vicinity

Orlando: Again, like Brooklyn the main entry end is nice, but the remaining sides of the building are pretty drab. At least with Vivint you're only dealing with one bland side

Chicago

Salt Lake City - Vivint Arena

Last edited by delts145; Aug 25, 2017 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 6:48 PM

Who the hell is grasscom?

I like the Delta Center (vivint). I agree it has a very clean design. Most of the stadiums look like old school washing machines (example: old salt palace) decorated with designs elements that are added to the facade almost as an after thought. Well, at least some of the older ones. The new ones are pretty cool.

Also, I'd rather listen to Delts be excited about this awesome city than the consistent whining. There are only a few here that keep the forum relevant. this doesn't mean that dialogue or differences of opinion isn't welcomed (I am liken to Comrade and Stenar and their way of challenging the idea of the city just open arming every project I like). Trying to belittle someone that's excited about the city is not appropriate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West