HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

FMC Tower at Cira Centre South in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
This construction project (see below) in Chicago, reminds me so much of our FMC Tower. It has about the same height, the floor count is just about the same, it's near a river, and also built above train tracks. The architecture is similar too. It has that "sleek" smooth design. Has anyone else noticed?

CHICAGO | River Point (444 West Lake) | 730 FT | 52 FLOORS
(Located in "Construction" section here in SkyscraperPage Forum.)
They share some common measurements, but not much in appearance. I like the 444 West Lake design but I've always thought the inspiration came from a McDonald's apple pie package.

Last edited by boxbot; Apr 9, 2015 at 12:18 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
Not to mention the views they get of the CHOP/HUP buildings in UC that are going up and the CHOP research tower on the other side of the river. Plus the Dranoff condos at 24th and Locust.
It's wild, isn't it? I'm still hoping for Riverplace and the Marketplace Design Center Tower too. With all the UCity projects, we're transforming from a city bound by two rivers into one that straddles the Schuylkill.

When I moved here 12 years ago I never imagined the city would pop like it has. Part of me doesn't want the recognition we're getting because it means high rent and gentrification. But at the same time it's been amazing watching the city evolve so much.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
This construction project (see below) in Chicago, reminds me so much of our FMC Tower. It has about the same height, the floor count is just about the same, it's near a river, and also built above train tracks. The architecture is similar too. It has that "sleek" smooth design. Has anyone else noticed?

It reminds me even more of the proposed McGuire Office Tower in downtown LA...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 12:37 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ That's probably the best comparison.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 12:46 AM

Is that still a real proposal?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yackemflaber69 View Post
Is that still a real proposal?
The McGuire Tower in LA? Yeah, it was a few years ago. I don't know if it still is.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 1:13 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who's had that same thought!
Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post

I hope they didn't pay anybody to put together that horrid Photoshop job...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
I hope they didn't pay anybody to put together that horrid Photoshop job...
It's not the only one...

I kind of wonder if whoever was behind the McGuire proposal saw Cira Centre and just thought it'd look good in LA and hacked up an image. I don't think Cesar Pelli Cesar had anything to do with the rendering...at least I hope not.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 12:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It's wild, isn't it? I'm still hoping for Riverplace and the Marketplace Design Center Tower too. With all the UCity projects, we're transforming from a city bound by two rivers into one that straddles the Schuylkill.

When I moved here 12 years ago I never imagined the city would pop like it has. Part of me doesn't want the recognition we're getting because it means high rent and gentrification. But at the same time it's been amazing watching the city evolve so much.
But a higher national profile means more investment by companies that arent local. Since the recession we are seeing more development by companies that really have never built anything here. East Market comes to mind. In terms of the media, I dont think they are capable of understanding anything about Philadelphia that doesn't involve Rocky or cheesesteaks. I just saw a piece on ABC about the papal visit and naturally Rocky and cheesesteaks were mentioned. It was pretty disturbing to see how ignorant these talking heads are.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
They share some common measurements, but not much in appearance. I like the 444 West Lake design but I've always thought the inspiration came from a McDonald's apple pie package.

boxbot good eye! LOL! I wonder how many architects get some of their best inspirations? Over breakfast? haha

Quote:

Yes, that is a really close comparison...Isn't that the same location where the Supertall Wilshire Grand Development is building? If not, it's very close proximity to that one.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 3:38 PM
Chairman

Quote:
boxbot good eye! LOL! I wonder how many architects get some of their best inspirations? Over breakfast? haha

Yes, that is a really close comparison...Isn't that the same location where the Supertall Wilshire Grand Development is building? If not, it's very close proximity to that one.
Wilshire Grand is the next block over.

-sb

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 6:17 PM

The cranes are beginning to be tall enough that you can see exactly where this building will have an impact in the skyline. I'm enjoying the opportunity when I see the cranes pop out in a new angle, of imagining the tower. This one is going to be really fun to watch rise.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan84 View Post
The cranes are beginning to be tall enough that you can see exactly where this building will have an impact in the skyline. I'm enjoying the opportunity when I see the cranes pop out in a new angle, of imagining the tower. This one is going to be really fun to watch rise.
I drove by today, and you can begin clearly seeing the curved shape the building will take from the steel going up as well.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
But a higher national profile means more investment by companies that arent local. Since the recession we are seeing more development by companies that really have never built anything here. East Market comes to mind. In terms of the media, I dont think they are capable of understanding anything about Philadelphia that doesn't involve Rocky or cheesesteaks. I just saw a piece on ABC about the papal visit and naturally Rocky and cheesesteaks were mentioned. It was pretty disturbing to see how ignorant these talking heads are.
I completely agree. The city's either going to be warn Rocky nostalgia or national/international. We're trending towards the latter and I'm fine with that.

As for the local media, it is what it is and always will be. Even New York's local media is steeped in aging BS that the city's abundance of transplants don't care about of even get.

I think some politicians here are beginning to understand the importance of outside investment, but they understandably toe the line. It doesn't matter. Business is business and investors are taking note. Development and improvements around Amtrak's corridor, the industry leads that Comcast ferries in for meetings, and the national media's general (and mind boggling) love affair with Philadelphia are what's driving change. Like you said, it's the higher national profile, and right now Philadelphia is in the spotlight.

I don't want my rent to go up and I'd love to buy a house someday soon. But considering Philadelphia once had 2M residents and we're now a half mil shy of that, I'm pretty sure there'll be ample real estate and new neighborhoods to terraform for at least another decade.

I hate to use a Rocky metaphor, but right now that's exactly what we are. America spent the last four decades crapping all over the underdog, even though we never were that bad, and now they're all like, "wait, what??"

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 8:33 PM

4/10/2015

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 7:03 PM
Fishtown & Country

^ Nice shot!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 10:03 PM
Always Lookin' Up

The riverwalk is going to be an incredible viewing area for this building.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraggman View Post
The riverwalk is going to be an incredible viewing area for this building.

free photo hosting

Last edited by williamphilapa; Apr 12, 2015 at 7:06 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 1:02 AM

^^Great shots!!

Update from Building Philly

More photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 12:25 PM
BANNED

Is one crane for concrete and one for steel? It seems pretty uncommon to see a site with two different styles of construction crane.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive