HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 12:04 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
So often it takes the view from people who are from or have been living outside the city to give us some positive perspective. Thanks for posting this.
People who live in a place for a long time can possibly get so rooted in their past memory about the place that they don't see or recognize the changes that are happening.

Or, one can only learn a city's short coming by living in it for a long time. For new people coming everything can seem exciting, probably not for those who are long-term residents. I feel excited to see a lot of things in other cities, but I usually don't know their problems well. Some smaller cities might look better and have better roads but they can't really offer some things that Winnipeg can offer.

A reason to boost tourism to create and maintain good image.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
People who live in a place for a long time can possibly get so rooted in their past memory about the place that they don't see or recognize the changes that are happening.

Or, one can only learn a city's short coming by living in it for a long time. For new people coming everything can seem exciting, probably not for those who are long-term residents. I feel excited to see a lot of things in other cities, but I usually don't know their problems well. Some smaller cities might look better and have better roads but they can't really offer some things that Winnipeg can offer.

A reason to boost tourism to create and maintain good image.
I agree completely. I think people can also lose perspective if their news intake is limited to what is happening locally. I think it can be very easy to develop an "everything here is a disaster/everywhere else has it made" attitude if one only reads local news. For me, occasionally scanning news feeds from other cities reminds me that issues and attitudes are very often found in other communities.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 2:22 PM

Thanks for the update, WpgGuy, I haven't been around St. Boniface much in the last year or so... it's nice to get a look at the projects that have been completed around there.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:29 PM

Notre Terrace looks nice, even though I wish they kept the red awning haha. Aubert is fantastic – while the shape is quite simple, the finishings spruce it up a lot, and real brick finishes are just unmatched. 10 more please.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 12:21 AM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Notre Terrace looks nice, even though I wish they kept the red awning haha. Aubert is fantastic – while the shape is quite simple, the finishings spruce it up a lot, and real brick finishes are just unmatched. 10 more please.
Is it actually real brick? I didn't get that impression as I've been watching them build it, but I'm only by there for 60 seconds twice a day.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 12:37 AM

It's real brick form the looks in the photos. Variations in batch colour and grouting. Both turned out fairly well.

I haven't been through there in a bit. But has anything started on the parmalat site? There's also another condo thing goin to go up on tach at Grandin I believe.

Too bad the nimby killed the apartments on tache north of the track.

Also nothing started yet on the Provencher project. They had temporary fencing up a while ago, then it came down.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 2:55 PM

Even brick veneer is fine for me, if it looks like real brick from the outside, it does the trick.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 4:23 PM
What could go wrong?

Unfortunately the Le Quartier apartment building slated for the empty gravel lot on the south side of Provencher (174) is dead. The owner has chosen not to proceed. It would have been a wonderful addition to the streetscape on Provencher (6 storeys, 60 units).
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 4:27 PM

^ Ouch. That's bad news. Victim of covid or was it something else?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Unfortunately the Le Quartier apartment building slated for the empty gravel lot on the south side of Provencher (174) is dead. The owner has chosen not to proceed. It would have been a wonderful addition to the streetscape on Provencher (6 storeys, 60 units).
That is sad. I have no idea why one of the nicest streets is taking so many decades to get going on development. The boulevard is beautiful close to downtown and great views.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 4:36 PM

That's too bad. They have some fencing up like last year sometime. then it came down and got me worried.

I'm sure the chocloatier is happy. Their sign won't be blocked.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 5:04 PM

Add that to the long empty lot across the street, and the burned down auto garage and that part of Provencher is a fucking embarrassment. The city, Enterprise Riel, and the damn chocolatier should be embarrassed.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Add that to the long empty lot across the street, and the burned down auto garage and that part of Provencher is a fucking embarrassment. The city, Enterprise Riel, and the damn chocolatier should be embarrassed.
North St. B is like Osborne Village... loads of development happening under the radar on the side streets, but the high profile main corridor just stagnates and rots. It's unfortunate from an image standpoint as that is what people see and form impressions from.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Ouch. That's bad news. Victim of covid or was it something else?
Covid did play a major part in it.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 2:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Completely agree, Provencher and the area around the bridge should be a whole hell of a lot more considering closeness to downtown, Forks, museums etc.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 2:40 AM

I’m okay with this being canceled. I didn’t like the design, this leaves an opportunity for something better.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 3:35 AM

It wasn’t the most amazing design but it was a large 4 storey (?) building with CRUs lining the whole facade. Would have been perfect there. Considering how nothing has happened on any of the other lots there, holding your breath doesn’t seem like a smart play.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
That is sad. I have no idea why one of the nicest streets is taking so many decades to get going on development. The boulevard is beautiful close to downtown and great views.
Ya it does seem rather bizarre. Like you can't get a better location than that. And like you said, the views from the top floors would be fantastic. I personally don't like living on super busy thoroughfares due to the constant sound of cars and busses whizzing by (been there, done that for years), but that's not gonna stop a building in that location from selling out quickly.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 3:05 PM
What could go wrong?

Parmalat site development coming soon...200+ units.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 3:06 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Parmalat site development coming soon...200+ units.
The whole site? That's a big lot
Federalist #10, James Madison

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan