HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

VIA 57 WEST in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://www.observer.com/2011/12/a-li...eet-in-spring/

A Little News on a BIG Project: Dursts Breaking Ground on 57th Street in Spring

By Matt Chaban 12/14
Awesome news, except the "public review" part concerns me.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 5:43 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

A pyramid, about the only thing that has yet to be built in NYC will soon become reality

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 1:03 PM

Agreed sbarn, 'public review process' is always a worrying phrase especially in here in NY. But it is hard to imagine any issues anyone could have with this, but they no doubt will find things to complain about.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Agreed sbarn, 'public review process' is always a worrying phrase especially in here in NY. But it is hard to imagine any issues anyone could have with this, but they no doubt will find things to complain about.
Yes, yes they will.

"Its too pointy!"

"It damages a salamander habitat!"

"It casts shadows on my dog park!"

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 4:22 PM
New Yorker for life

People can and will find almost any reason to complain about almost anything, especially in Manhattan. There will be complaints, but I don't think they'll be on the scale of NIMBYism at the site a couple blocks to the north, where Extell is building a major mixed use complex. And we're dealing with an experienced developer that will know how to get this through.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 6:05 PM

Honestly, I really like the design of this building, and am looking forward to seeing it built. But I must admit, as someone who lives just a block from this site and who walks by that corner frequently, I really can't envision how this monstrosity is going to fit in -- both in size and aesthetically. It's really going to dominate that corner! Which may work. We'll see.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 6:16 AM

I like the idea of adding these shorter, architecturally adventurous buildings on the flanks of Manhattan.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyxia8 View Post
Honestly, I really like the design of this building, and am looking forward to seeing it built. But I must admit, as someone who lives just a block from this site and who walks by that corner frequently, I really can't envision how this monstrosity is going to fit in -- both in size and aesthetically. It's really going to dominate that corner! Which may work. We'll see.
In this case, they seem to be putting the cart before the horse. After this is ready for occupancy, much effort will be spent to make its surroundings more apropos. Don't forget that the entire West Side from this space all the way to Hudson Yards is almost as massive as the entire highrise cluster of Midtown itself.
Plus, all of it needs to be assimilated to the rest of the island. No small task is this. IMO, the visible signs of the West Side transformation begins here, and it is here that its integration with everything else has its origins.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 11:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
Don't forget that the entire West Side from this space all the way to Hudson Yards is almost as massive as the entire highrise cluster of Midtown itself.
This is still a bit off from the massive Hudson Yards towers, but its still close to the Riverside Center development that's practically around the corner.

This will be one of those buildings that changes depending on you point of view. It's massive, but not overly so.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 11:21 PM

A virtual tour of the "courtscraper" model can be found here:
http://virtualworks.dk/tours/louisiana/big/pan1/

Check out the "360 view - inside the model"

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 1:17 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2012/03/scop...-pyramid-site/

SCOPE-ing Out West 57th Street: Art Fair Takes Over Durst Pyramid Site for the Weekend

March 12, 2012
By Matt Chaban

Quote:
Next month, one of the most anticipated groundbreakings in the city is set to take place at the corner of 57th Street and the Hudson River. There, the Durst Organization will sink its shovels in preparation for Bjarke Ingel’s unusual apartment pyramid. Before that fanfare begins, another triangular structure has quietly risen on the lot, only the latest project to occupy the not-quite dormant site. The giant white tent is this year’s home for nomadic SCOPE art fair.

“I was hoping if we built it, they would come, and so far, they have come,” Alexis Hubshman said. “This is easily our best year yet.”

It does not hurt that the tent is just a block north of Pier 94, where the Armory Show has camped out for the past few decades. “I would be lying if I said that the convenience of it wasn’t important,” Mr. Hubshman said.
SCOPE will not be able to pitch its tent here next year, as the lot will be an active construction site, but for both the fair and the Durst Organization, it has been a happy marriage. “I thought it was a great idea,” Douglas Durst said in an interview. “A vacant space doesn’t look good and it attracts problems. It doesn’t do anybody any good sitting empty, so if it gives a benefit to someone else, we’re happy to do it.”

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:25 PM

Next month can't come soon enough...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:27 PM
Khurram Parvaz

^ About exactly 18 days.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 3:02 PM

Drove past the site yesterday afternoon, and that tent thing isn't there anymore and there's a bulldozer and pilling machine on site so should be moving forward soon.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 4:49 PM

Courtesy of Czervik.Construction on WNY, looks like they're starting to do some prep work:

And, if I understand the gist of the Curbed article, Durst has approval for basically the base of this building, but given the zoning of the site still has not gotten approval for the pyramid building?

Durst Fetner Starts Digging at 625 West 57th, But Not BIG Yet
Wednesday, May 2, 2012, by Pete Davies

"... the highly anticipated pyramid scheme from Bjarke Ingels Group, first made public over a year ago, still hasn't gotten the go ahead. Filings at the Department of Buildings show what's initially planned just south of the grand old IRT Powerhouse is a 5-story stump, rather than BIG's 450 foot slope of residences with great river views. Zoning diagrams for this comparatively puny 80-foot plateau showed up in mid-April, and what they reveal are plans for a big rectangular box..."

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I like it. I think its the perfect location and oppurtunity for a building of this type in Manhattan.
Perfect location? Maybe if it was about 2 miles further south... 17th & West would put it next to the IAC building, between the High Line and Chelsea Piers.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 6:32 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

I'd imagine that this filing is just so the foundation works can get underway before the design is finalized, as we've seen in other cases.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 9:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Perfect location? Maybe if it was about 2 miles further south... 17th & West would put it next to the IAC building, between the High Line and Chelsea Piers.
"Perfect location" doesn't translate as "best spot on the planet". What I mean is that it's on the waterfront, and isn't blocked or surrounded by taller towers, important in Manhattan for a building of this size.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 12:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 6:48 PM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive