HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 5:30 AM

If there's anyone who can get Rio Nuevo sorted out and keep those TIF dollars flowing to Tucson, it's probably Fletcher McCusker:

Fletcher McCusker is the new chairman of the Rio Nuevo Board
Inside Tucson Business
June 29, 2012

By a unanimous vote and with the recently dissatisfied board member Alberto Moore making the motion, recent appointee Fletcher McCusker, chairman and CEO of the Tucson-based Providence Service Corporation, has been elected the chair of the Rio Nuevo Board. McCusker replaces attorney Jodi Bain, who was removed by Arizona Senate president Steve Pierce to make room for McCusker and fellow appointee, Chris Sheafe, earlier this month.

http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/...9bb2963f4.html

Last edited by kaneui; Jul 1, 2012 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 12:10 AM

I think this is a good move - I'm a big fan of Fletcher. We don't have a lot of executives in Tucson with his experience and ability, so it's great to have him so invested in downtown.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 2:13 AM

I don't know a lot about Fletcher McCusker, but I'm at the point where I just wish Rio Nuevo would get out of the way entirely, or just be dissolved. We're finally starting to get things done in downtown. We've got the streetcar under construction. The Downtown links, part of it at least, will be starting, hopefully, this fall. We just had the new UNS building finished in the last year, and they're starting to build the new courthouse (the shell at least). We're also getting the new student housing, the Cadence at Plaza Central, which should start this month. Though not as big as originally planned, it is still an important step for downtown. We also just had the MLK Apartments finished about a year ago. On the periphery of downtown we've got the Sentinel Plaza on the western edge of downtown, just across I-10, with updated plans for the Mission District, with the West End Station hopefully starting soon (along with the new Luis G. Gutierrez Bridge connecting downtown and the west-side nearing completion). We've also got the District on 5th nearing completion, 1020 Tyndall just started construction, and The Junction at Iron Horse should be starting construction soon. Maybe just important as anything listed here is the U of A's intro into downtown, which could open up important avenues for future development there.

All of this is happening despite Rio Nuevo, not because of Rio Nuevo. Hopefully more is coming. With more jobs downtown (UNS building), students moving downtown and better connectivity to the U of A (the streetcar), I think, or hope at least, that the time is passed for the need for Rio Nuevo.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 5:00 PM

Some Cool video shots of what 4th Ave will look like!

By Ben Lawson - TucsonNewsNow.com - On Monday, July 2, paving will continue on 4th Ave. between 6t St. and University Blvd. Trucks delivering materials will enter the work area from side streets along the work area.

Side street connections will be paved on Monday. Residents and business patrons should be alert for personnel and heavy equipment in the area.

The final pavement is scheduled to be placed in mid-July.

Also on Monday, the Warren Avenue Underpass will be closed. The closure is expected to be in place for approximately eight months while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System.

See more here - http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/1...ed-to-be-alert

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 8:10 AM

So, I didn't even think about this until now, but I've driven down 22nd St. a few times in the last month or so, and in between Kino and Park, on the south side of the street they've been doing a lot of clearing and they've got a lot of construction equipment there. I just thought, not putting 1 & 1 together, that this was equipment for the Kino overpass that's getting under construction this month (they just had the ground-breaking last month). Now that I think about it, in a 'duh' moment, this is for the new student housing, The Retreat, that is going in there. With this project scheduled to take about a year and the Kino overpass scheduled to take about 2 years I can only assume that this area is going to me a total mess and nightmare to drive in for the next 1-2 years, so I'd avoid the area at all cost (I feel sorry for the students that live there the first year - since it is to open in time for the 2013 fall semester, seeing as though their main route to the U of A will be up Kino). But, when all said and done, this will certainly be a new and improved part of town (in an area that could really use it). Add the new WalMart (and the recently opened Costco) just south of there in the Bridges (hopefully they will soon get more retail, some housing and some Bio-Science companies to move into the development), and that area of town has the possibility to really get things going in the right direction.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 5:26 PM
Stay thirsty my friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
If there's anyone who can get Rio Nuevo sorted out and keep those TIF dollars flowing to Tucson, it's probably Fletcher McCusker:

Fletcher McCusker is the new chairman of the Rio Nuevo Board
Inside Tucson Business
June 29, 2012

By a unanimous vote and with the recently dissatisfied board member Alberto Moore making the motion, recent appointee Fletcher McCusker, chairman and CEO of the Tucson-based Providence Service Corporation, has been elected the chair of the Rio Nuevo Board. McCusker replaces attorney Jodi Bain, who was removed by Arizona Senate president Steve Pierce to make room for McCusker and fellow appointee, Chris Sheafe, earlier this month.

Kaneui, looking at your skyscraper development page for the downtown links map, there's mention of a 'Below-Grade Roadway' (runs east-west, stone ave to church ave, parallel to 6th st)...do you know if that's an underpass?

btw, after reading some of the comments in this forum, I came to the conclusion that at this point, Tucson should go ahead and build those expensive projects such as an arena, convention center, rainbow bridge, museums, Santa Cruz river projects etc. The current successful projects downtown wouldn't be built if it weren't for the street car project. Building more of those big ticket projects should continue the development momentum. Arena and convention center seem to be the most likely candidate in the near future. Tucson needs that gravitational pull to attract outside investors, developers and business to set up shop in central Tucson regardless if an arena or convention center etc be profitable or not (and since Tucson doesn't have a major river with water in it, large lake nor sits besides an ocean).

Unless there's an Andrew Carnegie or John D. Rockefeller in Tucson, that Rio Nuevo should continue to exist. It needs all the available dollars.

Edit Add: btw, that convention center/hotel doesn't have to be gigantic as originally planned. An electic looking building perhaps. Or maybe, combine the arena with the convention center and hotel , thereafter, allow room for expansion. Add that decent sized outdoor aquarium filled with piranhas and electric eels.

Last edited by technical; Jul 3, 2012 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technical View Post
Kaneui, looking at your skyscraper development page for the downtown links map, there's mention of a 'Below-Grade Roadway' (runs east-west, stone ave to church ave, parallel to 6th st)...do you know if that's an underpass?

btw, after reading some of the comments in this forum, I came to the conclusion that at this point, Tucson should go ahead and build those expensive projects such as an arena, convention center, rainbow bridge, museums, Santa Cruz river projects etc. The current successful projects downtown wouldn't be built if it weren't for the street car project. Building more of those big ticket projects should continue the development momentum. Arena and convention center seem to be the most likely candidate in the near future. Tucson needs that gravitational pull to attract outside investors, developers and business to set up shop in central Tucson regardless if an arena or convention center etc be profitable or not (and since Tucson doesn't have a major river with water in it, large lake nor sits besides an ocean).

Unless there's an Andrew Carnegie or John D. Rockefeller in Tucson, that Rio Nuevo should continue to exist. It needs all the available dollars.

Edit Add: btw, that convention center/hotel doesn't have to be gigantic as originally planned. An electic looking building perhaps. Or maybe, combine the arena with the convention center and hotel , thereafter, allow room for expansion. Add that decent sized outdoor aquarium filled with piranhas and electric eels.
The latest Downtown Links map does show a section of the road from Church Ave. to Broadway as below-grade, but the design is only 30% complete, so will undoubtedly go through more revisions. (The RTA just approved additional funding to complete the design of Phases III and IV starting later this year.)

The city of Tucson and Rio Nuevo don't have the funds to build any big ticket items right now, and voters are in no mood to incur more debt through bond issues to pay for them. Since 2003, Rio Nuevo burned through over $230M of TIF money on lots of expensive designs, proposals and some infrastructure before the economy headed south, but no significant out-of-the-ground projects to show for it. (Read all about it in prior posts on this thread.)

However, if Rio Nuevo and the city can figure a way to finance an upgrade and expansion of the convention center (which is hemorrhaging millions every year in its current condition), I think we'll see private developers step up to build some decent hotels downtown, more retail, perhaps a smaller office building, and one or more of the cultural attractions in Tucson Origins Park. And the completion of the modern streetcar will continue to encourage additional TOD, as we are seeing with the numerous student housing projects.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 6:13 AM
Tucsonan

i was hoping 4th Ave would be getting new sidewalks with the streetcar but it looks like its not from the photos. The sidewalks are so dingy and dirty on 4th, wish something could be done to spruce them up.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 7:37 AM

Just when it looked like things might be looking up for Tucson and the Padres, though they will be here for next year, this appears in the AZDS:

El Paso is pursuing Tucson Padres for 2014

The Tucson Padres could find a permanent home about 320 miles east of here beginning in 2014.
MountainStar Sports, an ownership group pursuing a Triple-A team for El Paso, met with the Pacific Coast League Executive Committee last week and hopes to buy the Tucson Padres, the El Paso Times has reported.
MountainStar, based in El Paso, hopes to convince the PCL that the Texas city is ready to permanently host a Triple-A team beginning in 2014.
The El Paso city council voted last week to move ahead with plans to build a $50 million baseball stadium, which is expected to be completed before the '14 season.
With the Tucson Padres currently for sale, MountainStar will pursue the team and try to relocate it.
There is no Tucson ownership group aiming to keep the Padres in town, said Padres general manager Mike Feder. "There have been opportunities for that to happen, and it hasn't occurred," Feder said. ...

Here's the full article: http://azstarnet.com/sports/baseball...00cc627bc.html

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 6:41 PM

By providing over $25M in loans for downtown redevelopment since 2005, Alliance Bank has became a major force behind the renovation of historic properties in the city's core:

Exo Roast Coffee owner Doug Smith loves his funky retro space at the Old Market Inn
that was redeveloped by Ron Schwabe of Peach Properties.
(photo: George Howard)

Eclectic urban entrepreneurs drawn to renovated retro spaces
By Roger Yohem
Inside Tucson Business
July 6, 2012

Living, working, shopping, dining and subsisting in a downtown setting doesn’t appeal to everyone. Yet there are just enough people who like and want that lifestyle to create niche business opportunities for employers, restaurateurs, retailers and other urban-oriented entrepreneurs. “In general, it’s a numbers game. Until recently, it didn’t make sense to put money into projects in downtown Tucson. There were no opportunities to invest and get any rate of return,” said developer Ross Rulney, who is pursuing some of those business niches. The recent recession changed the economics of urban real estate. When looking at the downside, builders could see the potential upside for select revitalization projects. Many of the properties under consideration were financially stressed, outdated, in disrepair, or vacant and vandalized. “Alliance Bank got very involved in downtown when it was not cool to be downtown. They jumped in knee deep, pioneer lenders in downtown’s comeback,” Rulney said. “Downtown wouldn’t be happening without Alliance Bank.”

Rulney is one of several clients Alliance Bank of Arizona financed to rescue promising urban-area properties. Overall, Alliance Bank, 4703 E. Camp Lowell Drive, has a cluster of 12 loans totaling some $25.5 million invested in downtown’s budding renaissance. Many clients are familiar historic redevelopers such as Rulney, Ron Schawbe of Peach Properties, Rialto Block owner Scott Stiteler, and Rob Caylor of Caylor Construction. Duane Froeschle, senior executive of Alliance Bank’s Tucson division, and Joe Snapp, vice president of commercial real estate, work closely with these clients who they consider to be “visionary” redevelopers. In 2010, Rulney used a $1.7 million loan to buy and renovate the historic Lewis Hotel/Julian Drew Building at 118 S. 5th Avenue. The redeveloped commercial space is fully occupied. On the same block, he also is renovating the former Tiburon Apartments as The Flats at Julian Drew. That $2.5 million loan will put 53 market-rate units into play. “For small developers like me, these small properties make sense. Each individual success breeds a new success,” said the University of Arizona finance grad. “There have been many small successes of late and that gets the next guy that much more interested.”

In June 2005, Alliance Bank made its first downtown-area loan to Schwabe to salvage the historic Firestone Building at 439 N. 6th Ave. The Depression-era structure had been boarded up and condemned by the city. “It was in a blighted, crummy warehouse district, exactly what would cause bankers to dive under their desks when they saw it coming. It was full of surprises, even leaky underground tanks. Everything was wrong. It was the last type of deal they’d be looking for,” Schwabe said. “But Alliance had the vision and we had a good banking relationship,” he added. “When Alliance Bank started to do deals downtown, it was a real pioneering but dangerous partnership.” Undaunted, Schwabe knew there were “just enough people, a certain type of progressive entrepreneur” who would be interested in the space. For two years, crews worked to restore the building’s authentic expanse of exposed brick, concrete floors and large windows. The Firestone’s interior was configured into new 1,000 to 2,000 square-foot suites. Today, the building is nearly full with a mix of architects, artists, tech and retail tenants.

Together with Stiteler and a $6.1 million loan, the Martin Luther King Building at 1 N. 5th Avenue was saved from demolition. Vacant for three years, city police and fire crews had trained there and battered 74 of the building’s 96 units. For $700,000, the city had planned to raze it. The building had been hit by copper thieves and heavily vandalized, yet Schwabe saw potential in the fact it was structurally sound. They transformed it from public housing into market-rate and affordable apartments, plus new street-level commercial space. “It was close to a total re-do, yet we saw it as the type of urban space people would go nuts for,” Schwabe said. Alliance Bank has financed three of Peach Properties’ nine downtown-area renovations.

The Old Market Inn, 403 N. 6th Avenue, may best illustrate the premise that with the right type of redeveloped space, the niche urban-entrepreneurs will come around. Built in 1880, it was one of Tucson’s original groceries and one of the first with refrigerated food coolers. Before Schwabe bought it in 2008, Arizona Glass was in the building. Schwabe restored the interior’s original wood floors, exposed brick walls, high ceilings and windows. Major upgrades included insulation, electrical, and cooling systems. “This is perfect space for us, an up-and-coming location in a retro, industrial-style warehouse,” said Noel Trapp of the Exo Roast Co. coffee shop. “For the authentic urban feel we want, the malls just don’t make it.” Landscape architect Margaret Joplin, owner of Design Collaborations, is a tenant in back. The interior’s blend of aesthetics and functionality caught her eye. “Nothing in here is square, level or straight. When first looking at the building, I thought there was no way it would work for us. But it haunted me, it never left my mind,” she said. Husband and glass artist Michael Joplin also operates his studio out of the same 2,200-square-foot space.

The Market Inn is fully rented and Schwabe is eager for his newest tenant, Rebecca Safford, to open her Tap & Bottle craft beer and wine-tasting business. Her space has been designed and her liquor license approved in late June. “There’s really good bones in the building. Ron took the old that is now new. We don’t have to do anything to recreate the historic look,” she said. When revitalizing trashed parcels, it’s important to focus on eclectic tenants. The obvious goal is to be profitable, yet that is not achieved by “seeking out the highest rents,” Schwabe said. “You have to cultivate the type of business attracted to this type of urban space. They’re typically too small to pay high rents.”

Back at Rulney’s Lewis Hotel parcel, he plans to continue the block’s revitalization. He wants to add either a small boutique hotel or more retail/market rate housing. The structure would “cantilever” over an existing building and the city is working with him on the proposal. For urban revitalization to succeed, Rulney said the developer and bank “must share a certain vision for creativity. Often, Joe (Snapp) tells me I’m crazy but they do more than just look at numbers on a piece of paper.” “Tucson is one of the last large cities to go through a downtown revitalization. If not for the passion Alliance Bank has for urban revival, many of these projects would not be happening,” Rulney said.

For Part I of the series: http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/...9bb2963f4.html

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 7:48 PM

There may yet be hope for downtown's crumbling Marist College if the city releases over $1M of grant funds to begin restoration of the 1915 adobe structure:

(photo: Tucson News Now)

Marist slated for $1.1 million facelift?
By Bud Foster
Tucson News Now
July 6, 2012

Calling it blight remediation, Tucson will decide next week whether to spend $1.1 million to preserve Marist College. The building has been part of downtown Tucson since 1915 but has fallen into disrepair in recent years. It's owned by the Tucson Diocese. It's been unoccupied since 2002. Two corners of the building collapsed six years ago and had to be shored up. They are now ugly reminders of how the once popular downtown asset has turned into blight.

The building is one of the first things people see when leaving the TCC, as conventioneers from all over the country do. It's the tallest adobe building in Arizona at 52 feet. The city will use Community Block Grant Funds for the restoration if it is approved. It's on the Registry of Historic Places. A local Tucson developer, Peach Properties, has suggested the building be turned into office space and restaurant. It's a dilemma for the city. If it approves the money to restore it, there's still no assurance anyone will occupy it. We're told besides the million dollars to restore it, it could take another $2 million in refurbishing work inside. "We will make sure that this is preserved for future generations," says Damion Clinco, a member of the Tucson Historic Foundation.

Generally, Tucson uses its CDBG funds for blight remediation to tear down or clean up urban blight. But Clinco believes this is an opportunity to change that direction. "It's a chance to turn something that's a liability into some that's a valuable community asset," he says. The Tucson Diocese has suggested if a developer makes a commitment to the building, it will consider deeding it over to them. The Diocese has met with Ron Schawbe, CEO of Peach Properties but whether an agreement has been reached, has not been announced. The college was built by well known architect Manuel Flores and is irreplaceable. It's in the heart of the Barrio Viejo which was destroyed many years ago to build the TCC. It's considered a mistake by many and one the city does not want to repeat. "If it's not restored, we all lose," Clinco says.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/1...type=printable

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 9:04 PM

Thus far, Schawbe hasn't taken the Humberto Lopez path of asking the city to pay for his projects entirely. So, if the city were to renovate the exterior of the building, I'd be willing to bet that would he would take care of the rest of the project assuming the church sells/gives him the property.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Thus far, Schawbe hasn't taken the Humberto Lopez path of asking the city to pay for his projects entirely. So, if the city were to renovate the exterior of the building, I'd be willing to bet that would he would take care of the rest of the project assuming the church sells/gives him the property.
I'm curious if Peach Properties responded to the Downtown Tucson Partnership's RFI (Request for Interest) issued last February for the Marist, or if there was anyone else who expressed interest. I've always thought the building would be a great spot for the Convention & Visitor's Bureau--a much more visible and accessible location that would showcase Tucson's history and culture, rather than inside the stucco labyrinth of La Placita where they are now.

UPDATE: The ADS article quotes Michael Keith as saying the DTP received "two strong proposals," but didn't provide any further specifics.

Last edited by kaneui; Jul 9, 2012 at 10:49 AM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
There may yet be hope for downtown's crumbling Marist College if the city releases over $1M of grant funds to begin restoration of the 1915 adobe structure:

(photo: Tucson News Now)

Marist slated for $1.1 million facelift?
By Bud Foster
Tucson News Now
July 6, 2012

Calling it blight remediation, Tucson will decide next week whether to spend $1.1 million to preserve Marist College. The building has been part of downtown Tucson since 1915 but has fallen into disrepair in recent years. It's owned by the Tucson Diocese. It's been unoccupied since 2002. Two corners of the building collapsed six years ago and had to be shored up. They are now ugly reminders of how the once popular downtown asset has turned into blight.

The building is one of the first things people see when leaving the TCC, as conventioneers from all over the country do. It's the tallest adobe building in Arizona at 52 feet. The city will use Community Block Grant Funds for the restoration if it is approved. It's on the Registry of Historic Places. A local Tucson developer, Peach Properties, has suggested the building be turned into office space and restaurant. It's a dilemma for the city. If it approves the money to restore it, there's still no assurance anyone will occupy it. We're told besides the million dollars to restore it, it could take another $2 million in refurbishing work inside. "We will make sure that this is preserved for future generations," says Damion Clinco, a member of the Tucson Historic Foundation.

Generally, Tucson uses its CDBG funds for blight remediation to tear down or clean up urban blight. But Clinco believes this is an opportunity to change that direction. "It's a chance to turn something that's a liability into some that's a valuable community asset," he says. The Tucson Diocese has suggested if a developer makes a commitment to the building, it will consider deeding it over to them. The Diocese has met with Ron Schawbe, CEO of Peach Properties but whether an agreement has been reached, has not been announced. The college was built by well known architect Manuel Flores and is irreplaceable. It's in the heart of the Barrio Viejo which was destroyed many years ago to build the TCC. It's considered a mistake by many and one the city does not want to repeat. "If it's not restored, we all lose," Clinco says.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/1...type=printable
Is a building like that really worth saving? Its in a good spot for a smaller5-6 story building, but for something modern like the original Plaza Centro building. Or it could be used to expand the TCC.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
Is a building like that really worth saving? Its in a good spot for a smaller5-6 story building, but for something modern like the original Plaza Centro building. Or it could be used to expand the TCC.
Hope to god that those in the power to make such decisions are not so short sighted as yourself.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 4:27 AM

Retail News

Hispanic-oriented retailer La Curacao is moving into a vacant building built for them in 2008:

(photo: Ron Medvescek)

Electronics store La Curacao to open, at last, in Southgate
by Carli Brosseau
Arizona Daily Star
July 08, 2012

The long-vacant south-side superstore styled like an Aztec temple is finally to be filled. Its new owner is its originally intended tenant - La Curacao, an electronics chain that caters to Spanish speakers. The Los Angeles-based company has delayed its opening several times since it announced its first Tucson store in 2007. It's now expected to open the second week in September.

This announcement is different from the earlier ones in at least one way: The chain now owns the property. In May, it spent $9 million to buy the 90,000-square-foot building constructed for it in 2008. Since 2010, the building at 3390 S. Sixth Ave. has been marketed for lease, but it stood empty. "The sale was part of one big workout with the tenant," said Michael Mugel, CEO of Red Mountain Retail Group, which owns Southgate Shopping Center and was the original landlord.

For full article: http://azstarnet.com/business/local/...4316fee3c.html

Judge rules in favor of new Walmart at El Con
By Roger Yohem
Inside Tucson Business
July 9, 2012

Development of a new Walmart store at El Con Mall appears to be back on track as a result of a Pima County Superior Court ruling upholding the mall's protected development rights and confirming the proposal conforms to City of Tucson zoning conditions. Judge Jeffrey Bergin on Friday (July 6) denied a request by the El Encanto Estates Neighborhood Association seeking a special action to overturn a 2000 development agreement for the mall and to require the Walmart proposal be put through a new citizens review process. The neighborhood association filed its lawsuit in October after a city Board of Adjustment approved Walmart's plans to build a new one-story store at the west end of the mall replacing a three-story building last used as a Macy's.

According to court documents, on Feb. 14, 2000, the city entered into a 20-year development agreement with the mall’s owners, K-Gam El Con LLC, Magna/ElCon LC and Sierra Investment Company. Once approved, the protected development rights in the development agreement allow landowners to develop and use the property as planned within a specified period of time. Landowners do not have to comply with zoning or development changes made after the agreement is in place. The document states the agreement was reached after meeting with the affected neighborhoods: El Encanto, El Conquistador-Miramonte, El Montivideo, Colonia Solana, the Tamarack Condominiums and many individual residential owners.

In June 2010, City Attorney Mike Rankin released a legal analysis of the development agreement that also stated that the development agreement was valid for 20 years. The former Macy’s store was originally built in 1960 as a Levy's department store. It was closed in early 2008. The El Encanto Estates lawsuit was filed on behalf of about 150 homes in the association and representative Cathy Davis has said that the group’s goal is to “totally stop Walmart.” Since the beginning of the dispute, Wal-Mart government relations official Delia Garcia has contended the project is “in conformance” and will be built according to the provisions of the development agreement.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 4:36 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
aye aye aye
-facepalm-

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 4:45 AM

I know this may be a little off the topic of Tucson development, but this is a story I thought was important to point out. California is our neighbor to the west, and I hope and feel that HSR will someday be used in the Sun Corridor (between Tucson and Phoenix), and someday connect us to places like southern California and Las Vegas. HSR may one day be a tool utilized as an driver of our economic engine. Not only will HSR create construction jobs, it will drive economic expansion. For locations within 500 miles HSR should be competitive with air-travel in both cost and time - and it's a 'greener' technology (it creates much less carbon-emissions per mile than do cars and airplanes). The first step is to have a line built in the U.S., and for it to be successful. Hopefully this would encourage others to invest in HSR too. The proposed line in California, even the first segment, still has many obstacles to overcome, but it appears closer to reality than ever before. The following is from the websight The TransportPolitic.

A Different Future with California High-Speed Rail

» California’s Senate takes a courageous step in supporting the first construction stage of the state’s high-speed rail project. There is much more work to be done.

Last week, America’s future in high-speed rail took a modest step forward. On Thursday, California’s State Assembly approved by a 51 to 27 margin the release of $2.5 billion in state bonds for the construction of a 130-mile segment of 220-mph tracks through the Central Valley and the implementation of $2 billion in commuter rail improvements in the Bay Area and Los Angeles regions. On Friday, by a vote of 21 to 16, the State Senate expressed its agreement.* If all goes as planned, the project could be under construction by the beginning of next year. Tracks between Madera and Bakersfield could be ready for use by 2017, the first step towards what could be an eventual 2h40 journey time for trains traveling from downtown San Francisco to Los Angeles.

The passage of the bill, which also frees up $3.2 billion in federal funds allocated for the project, is a major success not only for Governor Jerry Brown and California’s Democratic Party (no Republicans in either chamber voted in favor of the program), but also for President Obama and his Department of Transportation, which have championed high-speed rail as an essential element of America’s future transportation system. Moreover, it is a victory for those who argue that, despite the challenges and the compromises, in order to advance societal change on a grand scale, major investments in projects such as this are necessary.

The line section that will be built first has not been without controversy. Choosing to begin construction in the Central Valley, away from the population centers of the Bay Area and L.A. Basin, has induced the expected calls of a “railway to nowhere.” Yet the route selected in fact serves an area with a population of 3 million people and offers the crucial link between the two large metropolitan areas to the north and south. It is the only section of the system where sustained speeds of 220 mph can be offered by trains cruising down the straight-aways through farmlands. And it can be done at the moderate cost of about $44 million per mile, in a similar range as projects such as France’s LGV Sud-Europe Atlantique, now under construction (211 miles at a cost of €6.2 billion, or $7.6 billion, so about $36 million per mile).

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Or a parking lot! Parking downtown is difficult.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppdd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher
Or a parking lot! Parking downtown is difficult.
You people are unbelievable. Seriously? Destroy one of the few remaining historic buildings for a parking lot or an expansion of the convention center?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest