HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 2:32 AM
Crane Goddess

In addition to the "twin freedom towers", I also like the plan Traynor posted.
I remember my own idea for the memorial and museum- the outdoor memorial would have taken the form of a nice outdoor plaza/park, with a wall of names similar to the famed vietnam wall in Washington. Perhaps use two of the original WTC base columns to form a gate entrance not unlike the Torii gates outside of shinto shrines. The museum and indoor portion of the memorial would be part underground, part aboveground, something kinda like the Guggenheim, that takes the form of a spiral as you walk around it. Underground you would find a museum containing exhibits and artifacts pertaining to 9/11 itself, and at ground level, it would transition over to the memorial segment- each 9/11 family would be given a few square feet of wall space, to make their own contribution. They could supply a short bio of their loved one, akin to the NY Times portraits of grief series. They could supply photos, artifacts, whatever they wished. Overall, the effect would be like a more organized version of the Family Room seen in that P&T episode. More organized in the sense that the individual wall panels would be arranged in alphabetical order, or some other cohesive fashion.

I'm sure it would be more personal than the planned memorial, that's for sure.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 3:04 AM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
Rebuilding the twins / having pieces of them on site is simply a horrible idea. It's like seeing your mother's skull on your desk every morning at work.The current memorial design is peaceful, somber and grand. It's tasteful and it's beautiful, simple and respectful. It also works with the urban fabric that surrounds it.

Every argument I've heard against the current (read: actual) WTC development has been filled utter lack of insight or forethought.
This argument may be how you might feel but not the majority of family members. They don't want the site white-washed and the loss forgotten. They all agreed that rebuilding the bases of One and Two would best memorialize what was lost.

Beside that... There are thousands of ruins world-wide that are not removed because of the memories it may inflict. The exact opposite is done, they are enshrined and memorialized.

The Hiroshima Memorial comes to mind first: 70,000 people died at that site.

(Found in the Wikipedia article found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroshima_Peace_Memorial )

As well as the Auschwitz Memorial: 1,100,000 - 1 million, one hundred thousand people lost their lives here.

(Found in the Wikipedia article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auschwi...entration_camp )

I could post many others, but my point is made.

Just watch the Penn and Teller episode of BS at the link on the bottom of my signature. That 20 minutes may change your mind.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 4:57 AM

omg! wtc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
What is most disturbing is the treatment of the victims families and their preferences for the memorial.

One plan I thought was the best and not shown in the previous pages is this one:

Found here: http://www.triroc.com/wtc/index.htm

(Images found here: http://forum.sa-mp.com/showthread.php?t=68227)

Even if you don't rebuild the twins, the memorial should have been similar to this. When visitors stroll around they would see what was taken from them, as well as the new development.

I would have put the museum in the base of the old North Tower site of this plan and in the Tower Two remnants I would have put a large outdoor amphitheatre. (not shown in the images) The large curving wall near West Street could hold the names of the lost, as well as a wall to house all those thousands of "Lost and Missing" notes and photographs that are hidden away at this time.

Tour groups or students on a school trip, could sit in the curving seats of the amphitheatre with the rebuilt South Tower facade surrounding them, while a museum employee could lecture about the history that happened on this site. It would resonate more powerfully, if you could actually see the size of the ruins. The amphitheatre would also be a central meeting place and place for quiet reflection that would overlook the whole site.

As well, on important anniversaries, the amphitheatre could hold invited guests and dignitaries during the ceremonies and name reading procedure. A much needed venue that is missing from the plan that is being built.

The memorial could have been so much better, so much more, way more respectful to the families and everyone, than what you are getting. The above is more what the victims' families wanted and they were ignored.
omg i wish with all my heart that this design was being made as we speak! i never got the chance to see the wtc in person. and MANY MANY more ppl didnt either and now that they are gone we want to see them! i still cannot believe they will not be back. it trully breaks my heart! im in complete love with the twin towers and i wish i could see them and go up to the new ones if they were to be rebuild.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 6:27 AM
Crane Goddess

^Amen to that!
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 3:25 PM

To tell you the truth I do miss the Twin Towers, but there is nothing you can do about it now. It's too late to change anything at the WTC, because everything is going up and rising. Maybe someone could find a site to rebuild them, but I highly doubt that.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 11:44 AM
Twin Towers crusader

I think this topic should be ressurected. I feel there is still much to say about the new WTC.
America and New York deserve to have twin towers again! I am boldly resisting the twin towers taboo enforcers - a.k.a. the bullies who harass folks on this forum just because they have different opinions than these bullies do!
Recipe for the best syrup in the world:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=191318

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 2:24 PM

I think the new world trade center looks good though i would have prefered the something like this:

sanggun.wordpress.com

I even prefer the libeskind design but the current is decent i guess. Though it could have been much, much better and about the TTII design....I think this perfectly describes it at 0:32 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eYSpIz2FjU

Nuff said.

Last edited by marvelfannumber1; Jun 24, 2011 at 9:03 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 8:31 PM
Twin Towers crusader

Well, I personally like Ken Gardner's TT2 design. In my opinion it is a true masterpiece and I'm very sad that it wasn't built at the WTC site

As to my opinion about the new WTC, well, I'm OK with the towers being built. What I'm not OK with, is what is not being built. There's no true memorial (two holes as a memorial are simply sick) and there's no replacement for the South Tower. This way the new WTC is both a sign of weakness and defeat (because onlz one outta two towers got rebuilt) and a sign of disrespect to 9/11 victims and 9/11 heroes. One thing that might solve both these problems would be to make a twin to 1WTC and make this twin and 1WTC itself the memorial instead of pools. I have an exact idea on how this would look like. tomorow I'll present it
America and New York deserve to have twin towers again! I am boldly resisting the twin towers taboo enforcers - a.k.a. the bullies who harass folks on this forum just because they have different opinions than these bullies do!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 8:38 PM

Oh no not again, and not more Twin Towers 2 people from that movement.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 8:40 PM
Twin Towers crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Oh no not again, and not more Twin Towers 2 people from that movement.
Why? Is that movement illegal?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 8:46 PM

No, but it's stupid that you people keep ranting on something that most certainly will not happen anymore.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 8:48 PM
Twin Towers crusader

Quote:
No, but it's stupid that you people keep ranting on something that most certainly will not happen anymore.
Well, I just expressed my deep appreciation for the TT2 design. As to it not happening, I know about that. That's why I'm proposing alternative ideas like my twin Freedom Tower idea

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 8:51 PM

Which also will not happen, because of what is going on down there.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 8:55 PM
Twin Towers crusader

Quote:
Which also will not happen, because of what is going on down there.
My idea doesn't include removing any building or underground instalation. So it is theoretically possible.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Well, I personally like Ken Gardner's TT2 design. In my opinion it is a true masterpiece and I'm very sad that it wasn't built at the WTC site

As to my opinion about the new WTC, well, I'm OK with the towers being built. What I'm not OK with, is what is not being built. There's no true memorial (two holes as a memorial are simply sick) and there's no replacement for the South Tower. This way the new WTC is both a sign of weakness and defeat (because onlz one outta two towers got rebuilt) and a sign of disrespect to 9/11 victims and 9/11 heroes. One thing that might solve both these problems would be to make a twin to 1WTC and make this twin and 1WTC itself the memorial instead of pools. I have an exact idea on how this would look like. tomorow I'll present it
I agree about the memorial but the layout on TTII is just horrible it is way to closterphobic and not velcoming at all.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 9:24 PM

Quote:
My idea doesn't include removing any building or underground installation.
Oh? So it involves magic, then?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 9:36 PM
Twin Towers crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
Oh? So it involves magic, then?
Nope. It involves building a twin on the North Tower footprint and it involves making the new Twin Towers the memorial. This would mean that 9/11 would have the biggest and tallest memorial on the planet. I think that the heroes and victims of 9/11 deserve to have the greatest memorial in history

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 9:55 PM
A before E

Your idea is never.....going.....to......happen......but you are never going to listen to anyone, so carry on with having fun pretending to be an architect with your MS Paint.....I am sure you are going to keep telling us all about your great ideas. You've become like a virus to this thread, every WTC post seems to be infected. And if you are wondering, no that is not an insult, that is just the written version of me getting annoyed.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 10:06 PM
Twin Towers crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Your idea is never.....going.....to......happen......but you are never going to listen to anyone, so carry on with having fun pretending to be an architect with your MS Paint.....I am sure you are going to keep telling us all about your great ideas. You've become like a virus to this thread, every WTC post seems to be infected. And if you are wondering, no that is not an insult, that is just the written version of me getting annoyed.
I think you should be more tolerant to other's opinions

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 10:13 PM
A before E

Quote:
I think you should be more tolerant to other's opinions
Oh I am to an extent.....until someone else has an opinion that they become over vocal and preachy about, but has little bearing with reality, and if I could block your posts on this site I would, but it seems you have been popping up in every thread I have been reading saying the exact same thing over and over.

I am not sure what you hope to accomplish by all of this, but I could do without the identical statements that you are making in every single WTC thread on this forum.

Here is some information for you, we all know you do not like the WTC, we know you want the towers taller, we know you don't like the two pools, yet you seem to think you need to remind us of this in every single WTC post you post in. Is there any middle ground we can get to with all of this? Your opinion of the WTC will not be changed, clearly, and we all know what your opinion is, so do you have to keep reminding us of it as if we had somehow forgotten it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture