HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 7:12 PM

Snow-mageddon 2014!

The city and state are taking quite a bit of criticism both locally and nationally for the chaos that resulted from only 2 inches of snow on Tuesday.

Blame Atlanta storm mess on sprawl, bad decisions

Quote:
Surely to everyone else in the world, the staggering sight of one of the largest metropolitan areas in the United States brought to a standstill by a few flurries seemed comical at first. Oh, those Southerners, they don’t know how to drive in the snow! Indeed, as I tried to get home from work Tuesday evening, my tires spinning uselessly in an icy patch just yards from Peachtree Street, a trio of tourists snapped camera-phone pictures and laughed. I’m sure my Honda’s enshrined on someone’s Facebook page with a witty caption. Inevitably, people began to compare the gridlocked cars heading out of downtown Atlanta to the Walking Dead poster, Southerners trapped by a “snowpocalypse” instead of the zombie variety.

Atlanta's image takes a beating from snowstorm

Quote:
A few inches of light fluffy snow could bruise Atlanta's carefully crafted image as a sophisticated, international city that's a magnet for corporate headquarters.
Jan. 28's nightmare, which was addressed today by Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal and Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed, is the talk of the national media and social media.

"Winter storm hits Atlanta harder than expected, stopping city cold," reports a Jan. 29 Wall Street Journal story.
The WSJ story noted, "Criticism has been widespread, including across social media and on national television. 'This was poor planning on the mayor's part and the governor's part, pure and simple,' television weatherman Al Roker said on the NBC's Today Show."
Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta