HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post

Papa Johns and Pita Pit going into the former St Huberts in Rothesay
Thanks Freddypop - I saw the article in the TJ today as well. More food options for the Valley, and will likely be more successful than St. H!

Pita Pit does very well on the West side, and also out East I'm told...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 8:30 PM

The Source in Brunswick Square is now closed

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 12:41 PM

So is it a dental office or a Pita Pit / Papa Johns?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
So is it a dental office or a Pita Pit / Papa Johns?
Pita Pit / Papa John's according to the newspapers.

I love Pita Pit; I wish they'd open one in Grand Bay, too!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 5:27 PM

According to the newspaper it is Pita Pit and Papa Johns

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
According to the newspaper it is Pita Pit and Papa Johns
There goes my diet

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebertovich View Post
There goes my diet
That depends largely on which on the two restaurants you choose.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
That depends largely on which on the two restaurants you choose.
Very true Ire, I'm sure with the comment you can figure which one I am partial to

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 10:50 PM

I'm hearing conflicting stories on the source closing in brunswick square. Some are saying that mall management was looking to work with them on improvements but all they wanted was to get out. The sign still say closed temporarily......so who knows! Also hallmark is closing at the end of January when the lease expires as the owner wants to retire and I also heard coles is closing but can't confirm that. Also, apparently the new owners are moving all tenants from the third floor down to the second and turning the third floor into professional office space. And one final thing, I see home hardware on the west side is closed. The sign on the door says due to economic conditions and competition....assuming Kent......they just can't compete anymore.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 8:38 PM

As per UptownJeff....Home Hardware on the Westside is now closed

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ears-1.3169261

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 11:51 PM
ハルウララ

Shameful reporting by CBC. This wasn't an 'abrupt' closing, this had been coming for years now. Kent across the street was merely the finishing blow. Media reporting seems to be so negative and such a farce in this province some days.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Shameful reporting by CBC. This wasn't an 'abrupt' closing, this had been coming for years now. Kent across the street was merely the finishing blow. Media reporting seems to be so negative and such a farce in this province some days.
It's abrupt in the sense that nothing was announced before the store closed.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 12:20 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
It's abrupt in the sense that nothing was announced before the store closed.
I had heard the store was given a closing date a while ago and I don't even live in the province . It's all about who you know

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 1:16 PM
Any where but Fredericton

I see on CBC Hatfield Home Hardware on Saint John's west side has abruptly shut its doors, after 45 years. Seems like a lot of stores in Saint John are disappearing

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev71 View Post
I see on CBC Hatfield Home Hardware on Saint John's west side has abruptly shut its doors, after 45 years. Seems like a lot of stores in Saint John are disappearing
Real estate prices within the city seems to be a lot lower this year compared to passed years.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 9:56 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev71 View Post
Seems like a lot of stores in Saint John are disappearing
This is the sort of sentiment we need to start moving away from. Why did Hatfield shut down? Probably had something to do with the brand new Kent store across the street. Folks in SJ and NB seem to pretend as though nothing new ever opens and stores only close. These sorts of things happen everywhere and it's just a natural progression of the market and the times. A lot of the time it's just stores that are unable to move forward with the times and have difficulties coping with competition. It's no real great loss.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
This is the sort of sentiment we need to start moving away from. Why did Hatfield shut down? Probably had something to do with the brand new Kent store across the street. Folks in SJ and NB seem to pretend as though nothing new ever opens and stores only close. These sorts of things happen everywhere and it's just a natural progression of the market and the times. A lot of the time it's just stores that are unable to move forward with the times and have difficulties coping with competition. It's no real great loss.
Completely agree.....sort of like ignoring the thousands of planes that took off and only focusing on the one that crashed.....

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 11:07 AM
Any where but Fredericton

Quote:

That is why there is this website to post new stores as well. I just do not remember reading about a new Kents store in SJ. But then again I don't travel to SJ to much

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
You are probably right! That being said, as long as the Saint John region population is declining, do not expect a lot of new retail stores to pop up and fill both McAllister Place and East Point, this is one of the top things well-educated retailers will look at. There is no coincidence as to why the Fredericton (Moncton also for that matter) retail base is growing faster, it is ultimately tied to population growth and family median income.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 10:40 PM

Just received a letter from Birks saying they are closing August 23rd. Sad to see it go but really not surprised. Retail needs to be relevant in its market and a high end jeweller like this really wasn't necessary in Saint John. While there is a tremendous amount of wealth and upper middle class, how many of them really buy these items locally? Internet shopping is replacing these bricks and mortar locations. Want a Cartier watch? Go in and look at one; try it on and then go home and buy it for a third less on eBay or another online retailer. Sad but true. Their service really was poor in recent years as well. We have bought a few items over the years and it was almost like they were doing you a favour by waiting on you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces