HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 6:53 AM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
The pedestrian activity is just about what you will observe the next time you go home to Riverside/Avondale.
What's that supposed to mean?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 3:16 AM

Does anyone have an opinion on the Berkeley Park neighborhood (west of Atlantic Station) as a desirable location to invest and live?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 6:36 PM

Are Westside and now PCM killing any hope for a Peachtree Street retail district?

Miniature Golf Destined For Ponce City Market's Roof

http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2...rkets-roof.php
Quote:
In an interview last year, Jamestown Properties officials said a bounty of unique features for Ponce City Market's rooftop were in design phases. On the project's Facebook page this week, one of those attractions — miniature golf — was confirmed. It's a safe bet a round of 18 atop PCM will offer skyline views like no other mini-golf course in metro Atlanta, but what else will be up there? Officials alluded to "food and beverage options," a "possible stage area" and — coolest of all — "a nostalgic amusement area with both mechanical and human-powered rides" for the expansive roof.

As for retail offerings, the rumor mill is swirling with whispers that Apple is in talks to open a store inside the repurposed goliath. No confirmation yet on leases or a timetable for opening, if indeed Apple plans to do so.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Miniature Golf Destined For Ponce City Market's Roof

http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2...rkets-roof.php
I don't think so. I think what PCM, much more than the Westside represents, is a transition from retail being focused in highly car-friendly destinations to retail that splits the difference with car-friendly and urban / pedestrian friendly. It will still be very easy to drive to PCM, but access from the Beltline and the surrounding thousands of apartments will drive a significant number of pedestrians there. The next step is high enough density in Midtown and the surrounding area to truly support walkable retail that is significantly less reliant on parking.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on the Berkeley Park neighborhood (west of Atlantic Station) as a desirable location to invest and live?
well the beltline will run right smack through the neighborhood eventually - youve got walkable grocery and restaurants, easy highway access, and Outkast's studios are in the neighborhood. along with Monday Night Brewing Co. sounds pretty good to me.

Personally i really would love to buy a place in Loring heights eventually, across Northside from Berkely Park, also on the beltline but walkable to peachtree and atlantic station. Its way more expensive though. Berkely Park and Underwood Hills are both relatively inexpensive right now and I think are great areas. I live even further west up in Riverside off Bolton but i still like it a lot. West Side is great

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 9:25 PM

Not right on the Midtown Mile, but Flywheel will be opening a new location in the Regions Building at West Peachtree and 14th. It was announced a few months back, so it should be open pretty soon. It's a great, high-end spin studio--I'm a big fan myself. There are around 25 of them in the US, and currently the only Atlanta location is in Buckhead.

This will be a great amenity for Midtown and draw a lot of people. The one in Buckhead probably has 500+ people walk through its doors every day--far more than a traditional retail outlet.

Y'all should try it out once they open.

Fixing the sidewalks one West Peachtree between 14th and 10th would be opportune, btw. With AMLI and Skyhouse (which is finally getting a restaurant, if I recall), there's only going to be more and more foot traffic on that street and it's currently just atrocious.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 5:16 AM

Well midtown is bout to be in a big boom lets talk about it?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 1:58 PM

In the long term Midtown would gain considerably by caps over the connector from 5th. to 17th street. This could be done piecemeal with the first connecting the Tech area. This is already happening with bridging, but could be accelerated. Physically the boom of the West Side aprtments on Northside and Howell Mill are not very distant.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 5:40 PM

Well you do have a good point...

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 8:45 PM

Ace Hardware Opening in Skyhouse South

Quote:
The hardware retailer submitted a building permit application with City of Atlanta Tuesday to buildout space in the new SkyHouse South apartments.

An estimated $320,000 will be spent constructing the 5,412-square-foot retail space, at 860 Juniper Street.

The Midtown Ace Hardware will most likely open as an “Ace Express.” The Ace Express, introduced in 2012, is a “new retail format that fits into 3,000 square feet or greater.”

“Not meant to be used in areas that could support a larger Ace store, Ace Express is designed for markets currently closed due to market size or occupancy costs,” according to the hardware retailer’s annual report.
http://www.whatnowatlanta.com/2014/0...midtown-store/

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Oh wow... that's actually really great... that's exactly the kind of boring stuff Midtown needs to become self-sustaining.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Outstanding! These are the kinds of retailers that immediately add to livability.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
Oh wow... that's actually really great... that's exactly the kind of boring stuff Midtown needs to become self-sustaining.
I really think we're already there. Its just going to take some more time for the built environment to catch up. The problem is that there is not enough contiguous blocks of street-level retail to create critical mass to sustain various types of retail. If it existed I think it would be highly successful.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 2:02 PM

I believe the Colony Square makeover and the Campanile renovation give Midtown the opportunity to attract the kind of retail to the core that has previously wound up at Atlantic Station or Ponce City Market. I think it may end being a few nodes of retail in Midtown rather than a "Midtown Mile".

With Regal Atlantic Station having the highest attendance in the Southeast, a movie theater or some other entertainment venue seems like a no brainer at Colony Square. I think it would be great to be able to walk to a theater right on 14th street. I'm excited to see what NAP comes up with.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 4:43 PM

Quote:
With Regal Atlantic Station having the highest attendance in the Southeast, a movie theater or some other entertainment venue seems like a no brainer at Colony Square. I think it would be great to be able to walk to a theater right on 14th street. I'm excited to see what NAP comes up with.
I've hoped for a long time that a movie theater and maybe a target or something could end up in the base of whatever goes at 10th and Peachtree, but given that Dewberry owns it, Colony Square may be the best bet for something like this to actually happen. Can't wait to see the plans.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 2:45 PM

Quote:
I believe the Colony Square makeover and the Campanile renovation give Midtown the opportunity to attract the kind of retail to the core that has previously wound up at Atlantic Station or Ponce City Market. I think it may end being a few nodes of retail in Midtown rather than a "Midtown Mile".

That's a great idea. Midtown needs more of a mix in night spots to balance out the relative glut of restaurants, bars, and night clubs IMO.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta