HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 4:53 PM

^ Wpg media rumour mill said that the Bombers were close to working out a deal with Dressler.

God, I hope they're wrong... the Bombers are on the verge of getting rid of a dead weight past his prime overpaid import receiver, why saddle ourselves with another one?

We regret to inform you that your services are no longer required. Thank you for your valuable contributions.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Wpg media rumour mill said that the Bombers were close to working out a deal with Dressler.

God, I hope they're wrong... the Bombers are on the verge of getting rid of a dead weight past his prime overpaid import receiver, why saddle ourselves with another one?
We regret to inform you that your services are no longer required. Thank you for your valuable contributions.
Pretty sad when an old fart (just kidding Esquire, I have no clue how old you are!) calls a 30 year old in fantastic shape dead weight and past his prime!!!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Pretty sad when an old fart (just kidding Esquire, I have no clue how old you are!) calls a 30 year old in fantastic shape dead weight and past his prime!!!
I have no doubt that either of Messrs. Dressler or Moore could kick my butt in whatever drill you care to name. But then, I'm not the one asking someone to pay me big bucks to catch footballs!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 6:08 PM

Quote:
I have no doubt that either of Messrs. Dressler or Moore could kick my butt in whatever drill you care to name. But then, I'm not the one asking someone to pay me big bucks to catch footballs!
True, unless you are Warren Beatty!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 10:36 PM

Disagree. Dressler would be a great signing provided it's under $200,000 per season. His 2015 numbers are not necessarily due to a decline in skill but a result of the the Rider Qb situation in 2015.

With that said, Walters needs to improve his recruitment in the US. You build great depth by signing kids fresh out-of-college/NFL castoffs to low salaries in their first couple of seasons whether they be linebackers, receivers or defensive lineman. Hard to build depth if your only impact players are expensive, older players from other CFl teams.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 10:45 PM

^ Dressler would be a perfect player for a team that's making a serious push for this season, not a rebuild project like Winnipeg. He's basically a rental player at this stage in his career. Even $125K would be generous, never mind $200K.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 1:16 AM

Quote:
^ Dressler would be a perfect player for a team that's making a serious push for this season, not a rebuild project like Winnipeg. He's basically a rental player at this stage in his career. Even $125K would be generous, never mind $200K.
He's still got a ton left in him. $150K would be my most reasonable estimate.

Not to mention he's got some chemistry playing with Willy.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 3:47 PM

^ We'll see what he signs for, but if the phone ain't ringing (still no deal with the Bombers) I'm sure he'll eventually grab $125K or some such from a team like Calgary that could use some veteran depth.

In depressing news, the CFHOF is getting set to vacate its elegant Hamilton home... it will be moving to the bowels of Tim Hortons Field. There is going to be a selloff of surplus stuff on January 31.

It's too bad that the CFHOF has kind of been left forgotten (it really is a lovely place), and it's also too bad that relocation was never really considered. A new CFHOF and museum would be a bona fide tourist attraction if it were located in one of the western provinces.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 4:18 PM

I don't think Dressler will have an issue finding a home for $200,000 or more considering he would have had over 1,000 yards if he would have played 18 games. The Riders are paying Lemon 170,000 then Dressler can land $200,000. If it's only for one season I could see a lot of teams being interested outside of Sask, Mtl, and Ott.

As for Winnipeg rebuilding, this isn't the NHL or NFL where in order to rebuild you need to tank and acquire high draft picks for 5 years, teams can easily rebuild on the fly like Ottawa and Edmonton have. Esquire you would know more than me but I think Winnipeg's biggest issue over the past 5 years has been finding consistent offence.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 4:19 PM

OK as soon as I posted the BB's made it official. Dressler signs.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 4:20 PM

^ Nick Moore has badly soured me on the idea of paying a veteran import receiver top dollar. Let's face it, these guys are not hard to find. Maybe not quite as easy as finding import RBs, but I don't think you need to blow the budget on one either.

Bomber O badly needs shoring up, but I'd feel a lot better if the vault was opened for a non import ratio breaker or a lineman who can shore up what was a marginally improved but still woeful OL.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
ok as soon as i posted the bb's made it official. Dressler signs.
ffs

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 4:25 PM
arf

Quote:
^ We'll see what he signs for, but if the phone ain't ringing (still no deal with the Bombers) I'm sure he'll eventually grab $125K or some such from a team like Calgary that could use some veteran depth.

In depressing news, the CFHOF is getting set to vacate its elegant Hamilton home... it will be moving to the bowels of Tim Hortons Field. There is going to be a selloff of surplus stuff on January 31.

It's too bad that the CFHOF has kind of been left forgotten (it really is a lovely place), and it's also too bad that relocation was never really considered. A new CFHOF and museum would be a bona fide tourist attraction if it were located in one of the western provinces.
Put it in Saskatchewan. Put it in Saskatchewan.

We could renovate the existing Taylor Field as a life-size exhibit as to how people watched football games in the old days.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 4:55 PM

Quote:
^ Nick Moore has badly soured me on the idea of paying a veteran import receiver top dollar. Let's face it, these guys are not hard to find. Maybe not quite as easy as finding import RBs, but I don't think you need to blow the budget on one either.

Bomber O badly needs shoring up, but I'd feel a lot better if the vault was opened for a non import ratio breaker or a lineman who can shore up what was a marginally improved but still woeful OL.
I think you nailed it
Need a healthy Drew Willy and a better O line - period
Nick Moore never had a consistent QB throwing to him and couldn't stay healthy
I think at $170K, this is a good signing by the Bombers just on jersey sales and Banjo bowl ticket sales alone, let alone pissing off Rider faithful

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
I think at $170K, this is a good signing by the Bombers just on jersey sales and Banjo bowl ticket sales alone, let alone pissing off Rider faithful

OK, so maybe there is some value there!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 5:13 PM

Actually I'm kinda okay with Dressler signing in Winnipeg.
Calgary or Edmonton?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 5:15 PM

Sun says Bombers paid between $170-180K. It's too much. I'd be happy to eat my words but somehow I don't think I'm going to have to.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 5:19 PM

I think it's a good value signing for the BB's. They saw a noticeable average attendance drop to 23,685 for the last three games of the year with the first game still with seven weeks left in the season. Shows that the organization isn't giving up on the fans for the up coming year.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 5:23 PM
arf

Never underestimate the value of annoying the neighbours.

Chris is going to feel very unloved if Dressler torches our secondary duruing the Labour Day game.

Speaking of which. When is the CFL releasing the 2016 schedule? It doesn't appear to be on the website yet.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 5:24 PM

^ Walkups plummet when a team is out of the playoff race... happens everywhere, e.g. Oilers tix were not hard to come by last March.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada