HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Are you in favour of regulating and taxing marijuana?
Yes 97 97.00%
No 3 3.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 9:21 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
I don't really care one way or another what they do with this. Although I'd say I'm at least slightly in favour of the legalizing it.

I've never tried it and don't intend to at this point in my life but have always wondered - what does it feel like when you smoke some weed. There was a story on CBC last week about edibles. They were comparing an amount of an edible product (chocolates or something like that) to a number of glasses of wine (4 in this case).

So, I've had 4 glasses of wine before

Is that in any way a valid comparison?
No, it's not even close. They're entirely different sensations that really can't be compared. Just like alcohol, it affects different people differently, but I wouldn't say you could find equivalencies between them at all.

As far as problems with alcohol, I go out to bars around once a week and have also never seen a bar fight, and I don't go to the upper class establishments either. I do know some people that get aggressive when they're drinking, and I do think it's more harmful than pot, but I definitely wouldn't consider it "evil" like many pot smokers do. But yes, if it can be legal, so should weed. In any case, regardless of legality, people that want it will gain access to it. With pot being comparatively harmless, there's no reason why it shouldn't be legal.

I agree with some reservations about it. It does smell disgusting, and I'd be surprised if it wasn't subject to the same by-laws as smoking. However, I do think it should be allowed to be consumed in public and I worry about regulations surrounding its forms/potency. If the government legalizes bud but not concentrates for example, not only are you keeping those in the black market (with the dangers of making it remaining), but you're keeping a "healthier" way of consuming it from the people just because it's more potent. If people can buy Bacardi 151, there's no reason people shouldn't be allowed to smoke strong weed, especially considering how much less harmful it is. Again, if people want it, they'll get it somewhere else. If a large purpose of regulating is is to get rid of the black market, you can't mess with the product.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 4:05 PM

Legalize it already....with some caveats of course. Pot should be treated like alcohol and tobacco, meaning the laws and bylaws that apply to those should also apply to pot.

- pot smoking to be limited to private areas like alcohol, and also have the same bylaws for smoking indoors as tobacco. I don't want to be inhaling pot smoke from someone else while walking down the sidewalk.
- pot smoking should only be legal for someone 18 or over just like alcohol and tobacco.
- pot should only be sold at controlled retail, just like alcohol.
- no driving while high on pot. That will no doubt automatically fall into place, as impaired driving already covers some medications.

Once it's legal and government controlled, anyone caught selling it on the side, gets the book thrown at them.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 4:11 PM

Yes, very different. I find with alcohol the base effect is people get less inhibited, and it can either be a 'high' where people get jovial or comical, or it can be a 'low' where people can get depressed or angry.

With pot, it seems like people generally get more inhibited. They get slower, and more withdrawn. I would describe it as getting 'low'.

It's completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
No, it's not even close. They're entirely different sensations that really can't be compared. Just like alcohol, it affects different people differently, but I wouldn't say you could find equivalencies between them at all.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 8:58 PM

My objective with legalization is to get rid of most of the black market.

https://www.trudeaumetre.ca/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada