HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 5:53 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
BC is beautiful province, I love it but there are plenty of environmental problems in BC that are flat out ignored by the enviro-nuts that try to portray BC as a virgin pristine wilderness that will be ruined by a 30" oil pipeline. For example the federal government has a list of toxic sites, BC has the most sites of any province.

http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/fcsi-rscf/c...prov&sort=name
I thank you for the link. I do appreciate the fact you provided a link. What I found interesting is that a great deal of the links relate to Native lands. Now I am hardly an environmentalist, however I have a strong respect for the environment as I have done a ton of mountain climbing and really love the natural beauty of the environment/province of British Columbia.

To this I agree with you, those that pretend to be stewards of the environmental movement when the reality is that most of the problems are from native lands?
I am certainly pro business with a strong desire to protect the environment.

I have a strong respect for natives of Canada. I lived near a reserve growing up.
I know that the natives have a strong respect for the nature of their environment. However, the facts do speak for themselves with regards to the statistics Canada information.

I would like to close with saying perhaps your title is not representative of this thread.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
https://www.facebook.com/micheal.art...4255286&type=3

There is the link to my pictures I put of Facebook.

Being a resource province is not a excuse for the destruction.

I currently live in Sudbury, and 20 years ago, this place look like the moon. Now it looks better. They have begun to clean up the mess that they created.

In northern ON, they log. They log like there is no tomorrow. But, they are logging on crown land. Land that is crowned by the government. The government does not allow them to just clear the forest. They must do chunks.

BC destroyed their land a long time ago. Now if they would only start healing it.
Build sewage plants.
Restrict logging operations
Require stronger mining laws.
Allow rivers to flow enough that fish don't die.

The list can go on and on.
Now first, no need to show the picture I saw it on the internet.

This is the link.http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Env...604/story.html

Wow, now you are certainly out of line with your statements. B.C. has certainly not destroyed their land.

I certainly have a new understanding to the problems that natives contribute to the pollution of this land.

I am not going to bother to point out the problems with your home province and the area that you are from.
Now show some facts to your argument. I understand that the pine beetle did a lot of damage to the logging industry.
It is just now recovering with the U.S. economy becoming stronger.

I know that the logging industry has a strong respect for the environment and has a knowledge that it is a renewable resource. They have regrowth forests that are now being logged.
Lots of the logging is done from Heli-logging. The actual fact is the fires do more damage than the clear cutting.

Only Victoria does not have a sewage plant that I know of. It is going into the Pacific Ocean not saying it is a good thing but the fact is that it is the largest body of water in the world.

Fishing like logging is a renewable resource. We have fish hatcheries that help support the fishing industry. Just like the fires that destroy the forests we have no control over the rivers that dry up do to drought. Just like farmers cannot predict the weather when their crops dry up.

You state the list can go on. Well I would welcome you to produce that list. It is important to have transparency.

I would like to see you prove that British Columbia is destroyed?

Since it is destroyed. I would like you to give some suggestions how it can be fixed?

Sounds like you have some work ahead of you. Show the province of British Columbia destroyed. Then bring some advice to fix the situation with what needs to be done.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 1:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetmountainland View Post

This is the link.http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Env...604/story.html

Wow, now you are certainly out of line with your statements. B.C. has certainly not destroyed their land.

I certainly have a new understanding to the problems that natives contribute to the pollution of this land.

I am not going to bother to point out the problems with your home province and the area that you are from.
Now show some facts to your argument. I understand that the pine beetle did a lot of damage to the logging industry.
It is just now recovering with the U.S. economy becoming stronger.

I know that the logging industry has a strong respect for the environment and has a knowledge that it is a renewable resource. They have regrowth forests that are now being logged.
Lots of the logging is done from Heli-logging. The actual fact is the fires do more damage than the clear cutting.

Only Victoria does not have a sewage plant that I know of. It is going into the Pacific Ocean not saying it is a good thing but the fact is that it is the largest body of water in the world.

Fishing like logging is a renewable resource. We have fish hatcheries that help support the fishing industry. Just like the fires that destroy the forests we have no control over the rivers that dry up do to drought. Just like farmers cannot predict the weather when their crops dry up.

You state the list can go on. Well I would welcome you to produce that list. It is important to have transparency.

Since it is destroyed. I would like you to give some suggestions how it can be fixed?

Sounds like you have some work ahead of you. Show the province of British Columbia destroyed. Then bring some advice to fix the situation with what needs to be done.

My concern has nothing to do with native lands. Besides the list posted, their lands look decent.

Is clear cutting respectful to the environment? Is removing trees for MILES respectful?

Fact - No city on the great lakes dumps raw sewage in the great lakes.
Fact - Victoria BC still dumps raw sewage into the ocean. Everything you put down a toilet, sink or drain goes directly into the ocean.

Fact - All lakes that Ontario cities and towns use for drinking water are fully accessible to the public. The public can swim, boat, fish, and do pretty much what ever they want so long as it is legal. My home town of North Bay gets it's water from Trout Lake. Toronto gets it from Lake Ontario. http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/co...0071d60f89RCRD
Can I swim in the lake that Victoria draws it's water from?

Trees take decades to grow back. I am not against logging. I am against clear cutting. That is very destructive.
Fact - on Vancouver Island, they clear cut.

Prove me wrong.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetmountainland View Post

BC is a huge province so it is easy to not see areas that have been destroyed by mining etc. when there is so many beautiful areas (same can be said about Alberta, you don't see the tar sands from Banff). But if you live or hike of fish near some of the BC mine sites you get a different perspective. BC's legacy of mining is much worse than Alberta's tar sands mining which will be largely reclaimed as the mines are exhausted. Check out some of BC's legacy mines:
http://www.protectfishlake.ca/media/amd.pdf

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 6:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
BC is a huge province so it is easy to not see areas that have been destroyed by mining etc. when there is so many beautiful areas (same can be said about Alberta, you don't see the tar sands from Banff). But if you live or hike of fish near some of the BC mine sites you get a different perspective. BC's legacy of mining is much worse than Alberta's tar sands mining which will be largely reclaimed as the mines are exhausted. Check out some of BC's legacy mines:
http://www.protectfishlake.ca/media/amd.pdf
Same for where I live now in Northern Ontario.

They mine and log here, but, at least the logging is done in smaller patches. It is not about not doing it, it is about doing it in a less destructive way.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Fact - All lakes that Ontario cities and towns use for drinking water are fully accessible to the public. The public can swim, boat, fish, and do pretty much what ever they want so long as it is legal. My home town of North Bay gets it's water from Trout Lake. Toronto gets it from Lake Ontario. Can I swim in the lake that Victoria draws it's water from?
Actually, Victoria's waste water enters the "Pacific Ocean". Not a "lake". It is filtered through wire mesh and then extends out well into the ocean through "long-outflow" pipes.

I personally believe that Greater Victoria should have secondary (or even tertiary) waste water treatment. But apparently more complicated than that.

As a matter of fact, scientists "oppose" waste water treatment in Greater Vic due to the "deep, fast-flowing, cold, oxygen rich waters off Victoria. Some places you need very high level of treatment. Others, such as Victoria, nature can take care of the stuff. It's mostly about aesthetics".

Again, ocean scientists, oceanographers as well as local public health officials all oppose waste water treatment for Victoria. They consider same just a financial boondoggle.

And so many NIMBY's in Greater Vic are extant about proposed $1 billion locale of proposed waste water treatment facilities even with 2/3rd cost to be picked up by BC/feds.

A never-ending saga.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...nadian-history

PS. the "lakes" or reservoirs up in the north shore mountains of Metro Vancouver are not accessible by the public (except for viewing from a distance).

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 9:28 PM

Return of Mr. Floatie Victoria's unoffical mascot?

[QUOTE=Stingray2004;7151326]Actually, Victoria's waste water enters the "Pacific Ocean". Not a "lake". It is filtered through wire mesh and then extends out well into the ocean through "long-outflow" pipes.

I personally believe that Greater Victoria should have secondary (or even tertiary) waste water treatment. But apparently more complicated than that.

As a matter of fact, scientists "oppose" waste water treatment in Greater Vic due to the "deep, fast-flowing, cold, oxygen rich waters off Victoria. Some places you need very high level of treatment. Others, such as Victoria, nature can take care of the stuff. It's mostly about aesthetics".

Again, ocean scientists, oceanographers as well as local public health officials all oppose waste water treatment for Victoria. They consider same just a financial boondoggle.

And so many NIMBY's in Greater Vic are extant about proposed $1 billion locale of proposed waste water treatment facilities even with 2/3rd cost to be picked up by BC/feds.

A never-ending saga.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...nadian-history

QUOTE]

I see Victoria's neighbors are getting tired of the never ending saga to get rid of Mr. Floatie, different perspective when you live in a down current community.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...wage-1.3202561

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 3:38 AM

Looks like the worst polluting province is at it again.
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/alberta-tr...194334946.html

Personally, I think it is a good thing the N.D.P. is in provincial government in Alberta. There is a lot of money that really needs to be spent to clean this province.

The good news for Alberta is it looks like Joe Ceci has it all figured out.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/alberta-bu...231311482.html

Good news for the unions and public interests groups in Alberta. Who does not like public sector jobs especially with regards to improvements to the pristine Albertan environment.

Last edited by sunsetmountainland; Sep 11, 2015 at 5:48 AM. Reason: additional info

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 4:13 AM

Alberta Premier calls Alberta, Canada's "embarrassing cousin" about Alberta's environmental reputation.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/09/1...cousin-comment

Interesting link within the link "Expect taxes to go up and up and up"

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/09/1...-and-up-and-up

Looks like the N.D.P has some friends interesting article.

Naomi Klein and a celebrity cast endorse manifesto for Canada’s future

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...190746060.html

The Alberta pollution "Leap Manifesto" has many supporters like Tegan and Sara from Calgary.

Last edited by sunsetmountainland; Sep 16, 2015 at 4:54 AM. Reason: More info

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 6:15 AM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Actually, Victoria's waste water enters the "Pacific Ocean". Not a "lake". It is filtered through wire mesh and then extends out well into the ocean through "long-outflow" pipes.

Victoria currently has one of the most environmentally sound and effective natural wastewater/sewage treatment systems in the world. To build a secondary treatment plant to 'mimic' what is already being done more effectively by the massive amount of ocean water is silly.

The raw sewage is not dumped, sewage effluent it is diffused after being screened of solids (primary) and is 99% water. Even a large group of marine biologists think it is unnecessary to build a 'wasteful' sewage treatment plant ... we are not on a lake nor are we on a small river on the prairie. Hopefully the ignorant don't win on this one...

Quote:
Victorians can be proud that their regional government has built a natural sewage treatment system that fully meets Triple Bottom Line criteria - social, economic and environmental. Why should Victorians kow tow to the uninformed opinions of outsiders who know little about our unique marine environment of Juan de Fuca Strait?

Analysis

There is much to be proud of in our careful monitoring and research of the marine environment that has supported our current system. Other cities are no doubt envious of Victoria, not only because of our unique marine geography that permits our relatively simple and cost-effective approach, but for our continuing initiatives in our "best practices" monitoring and source controls programs.

Shame and embarrassment about our present sewage treatment system are words used often by organizations seeking to exploit natural concerns for our environment, even to the extent that some politicians have been parroting these same words. However, that is not a sound reason to discard our satisfactory sewage treatment system in favour of an unknown leap into an embarrassing morass of financial burdens, with no measurable improvements in our environment. That would be shameful, indeed!
http://www.rstv.ca/countering-misinformation-and/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia