HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 2:59 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cat14Wgc6w

people you need to subscribe to this guy! he makes the best videos

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex4apple View Post
As much as I hope they count it as a spire, if they don't, I hope it gets redesigned.
It will not be redesigned. The only reason for scrapping the radome was because Durst received a percentage of all money that was saved. Deleting the radome apparently saved $20M....so Durst made a nice chunk of change off it. He won't be giving any of that money up. Additionally, the bare mast, with exterior lighting, more closely aligns with his other properties.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 3:51 AM
SWFC and ICC R Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06hdfxdwg View Post
I have a feeling that Americans are going to get gypped by the CTBUH as far as the official height of 1 WTC goes. I have an inkling that they will count the mast as an antenna as opposed to a spire and you will have nothing officially symbolic height wise. It's kind of unfortunate that the foundation for 2 WTC has been built already,as i would have liked to see them have used beefier steel at the bottom,this way they could have built it to a roof height of a "definitive" 1776 feet and build a true "spire" to bring the total height of the building to 2001 feet. There would be no arguing that,in my opinion......no debate of anything.......case closed. This is what you get when politics gets involved. Who knows though.......perhaps 2 WTC was over engineered and thus could stand an extra 5 or 6 hundred feet added to the height. Just my thought on the matter.
In my (personal) opininion I believe they will count it, I don't think they would count it on any other bldg in the world, but the symbolicy of this bldg, I believe 75% chance they'll give it the label, ( I'm just shooting in the dark when I say this, but I believe Durst will have a little cash to help them, to help make their decision if they seem to be leaning the opposite way, ("donation money") if you will. I don't think it should be counted, however I want it to be counted, but like I said I'm just one fellow with my own opinion, just like everyone else. Also good photo's last 3 pgs NYboy1975, and NYGuy. Also the parapet looks damn nice, unless I'm seeing photoshops only. But 1 photo you could see a little progress.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 5:14 AM
Walk taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
In my (personal) opininion I believe they will count it, I don't think they would count it on any other bldg in the world, but the symbolicy of this bldg, I believe 75% chance they'll give it the label, ( I'm just shooting in the dark when I say this, but I believe Durst will have a little cash to help them, to help make their decision if they seem to be leaning the opposite way, ("donation money") if you will. I don't think it should be counted, however I want it to be counted, but like I said I'm just one fellow with my own opinion, just like everyone else. Also good photo's last 3 pgs NYboy1975, and NYGuy. Also the parapet looks damn nice, unless I'm seeing photoshops only. But 1 photo you could see a little progress.
What would happen to their credibility if they let the rules slide- just once- for the sake of patriotism?

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 11:25 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygg26 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cat14Wgc6w

people you need to subscribe to this guy! he makes the best videos
He needs a tripod. Nice shots otherwise.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 11:57 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
Seems they were aiming for the spire to be dominant at night with the beacon
Well, the beacon would be dominant at night, regardless. The spire itself was to have a "texture" to it that would also be enhanced by lighting at night.
What we have now will be another Conde Nast antenna (but with a beacon!) I'm sure it will look nice, but the best designs look great no matter the time of day.
Imagine a beacon on top of the Chrysler. Overkill. If this mast is ruled a spire, that's fine. It won't change the look, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchTheSky13 View Post
Do you think that if the CTBUH comes back and says that the mast is not a spire that Durst will cough up the money to have the mast redesigned?
That won't affect Durst's business one bit. It's being built for broadcasting, the focal point of the Durst broadcasting "empire", with Conde Nast serving as backup.
He gets to have his cake, and eat it too.

wowography.com

IAM YU

the_junes

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 1:43 PM
don't *meddle*...

xurijoe, also SSC forumer

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 3:46 PM

I hope that the spire doesn't count towards the final height in its current state. That will teach Durst a lesson about cutting corners. Besides, even if the mistake isn't corrected, I wouldn't mind having a new 1WTC that stands as tall as the original 1WTC; it already does.

I also hope that they bring the tip of 2WTC up to 1,362 feet...

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 4:17 PM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
I hope that the spire doesn't count towards the final height in its current state. That will teach Durst a lesson about cutting corners. Besides, even if the mistake isn't corrected, I wouldn't mind having a new 1WTC that stands as tall as the original 1WTC; it already does.

I also hope that they bring the tip of 2WTC up to 1,362 feet...
I agree. I want it to be counted as 1,368 feet. That's a more 'historic' height for this building to reach than any stupid 1,776 height. But I know they will count the spire toward the height. They're too confident about repeating over and over that it's going to be the tallest building in the western hemisphere when complete. Way too confident. Meaning they've already had some 'unofficial' backroom talks with the CTBUH probably with the plans on the table constantly asking "Well what if we took away this. Would that still count?"

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 4:25 PM
Build Baby Build

Height should be measured by the highest man-made piece on top of a structure, in my opinion. Yes this means some ugly radio towers gain a lot of prominence in the height charts, but I think its only fair to base the height on the literal and actual height of the structure, rather than the roof, which is only a measurement of function inside of the structure, rather than a measurement of the exterior structure itself.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
Height should be measured by the highest man-made piece on top of a structure, in my opinion. Yes this means some ugly radio towers gain a lot of prominence in the height charts, but I think its only fair to base the height on the literal and actual height of the structure, rather than the roof, which is only a measurement of function inside of the structure, rather than a measurement of the exterior structure itself.
Aviation charts have the overall height to the lightning rod of all obstructions. Go to SKYVECTOR and look at New York. The WTC is listed at 1,792' AGL.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 5:46 PM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
Aviation charts have the overall height to the lightning rod of all obstructions. Go to SKYVECTOR and look at New York. The WTC is listed at 1,792' AGL.
I thought One WTC was supposed to be 1,794 and 5 inches with the lightning rod?

A part of me does want any standing part of a structure to count towards it's overall height, and I think the CTBUH now agrees with that. But I also think if it's not an actual floor you can walk around on then it shouldn't count.

In the old days antennas on top of buildings were for actual broadcasting now companies just put them on top for looks lol.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 5:47 PM

Count the stick and the CN tower is tallest. Don't count the stick and it's Willis.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 6:18 PM

A couple guys just went up to the top in a bucket. Looks like something is happening....

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
I thought One WTC was supposed to be 1,794 and 5 inches with the lightning rod?
Total height of building as measured from Vesey Street: 1,797' 8"
Total height of building as measured from Elevation 311' 2": 1,792'

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
I thought it was supposed to be 1776' or did that change somewhere along the way?

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
The height of 1,792' measured from 311'2'' is the above ground total.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
I thought it was supposed to be 1776' or did that change somewhere along the way?
Yeah, where do they get off calling it 1776'?

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
The height of 1,792' measured from 311'2'' is the above ground total.
I know, that's where the Port Authority counts it from.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
Yeah, where do they get off calling it 1776'?
Yeah! What a stupid and insignificant number!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive