HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 9:13 PM
i ain't no bubba

As one who regularly wanders around downtown with a camera (looking every bit like a tourist, I'm sure), I get requests for donations quite often. It seems like several people now offer some sort of 'service' whether its directions somewhere, a good restaurant (how do they know ) or a great place to take a picture, the bottom line is always the same. I'm glad the city is taking a tougher stance on this. Although I've never felt like I was being 'aggressively' panhandled, I'm sure the average Joe from a small town doesn't read it the same way.

On another subject:
I traveled south on Peachtree from 14th to 11th for the first time in months (because the road is so beat up) and the impact of 12th & Peachtree is impressive. The office tower is only about 5 floors above the ground but that and the Loews on one side and 1010 on the other make for an incredible view!
While looking at the 1010 web cam I also realized that I've lost another few seconds off my 15 minutes of fame. On July 31st at 7:36pm I can be seen standing with a friend next to my car with a flat tire. You can't tell from the shot but, I'm cursing the construction worker who left a pair or wire cutters laying on Juniper.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
They buy cameras, jewelry, stuff.
But then opt out on personal health care coverage.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (four 0 four) View Post
While looking at the 1010 web cam I also realized that I've lost another few seconds off my 15 minutes of fame. On July 31st at 7:36pm I can be seen standing with a friend next to my car with a flat tire. You can't tell from the shot but, I'm cursing the construction worker who left a pair or wire cutters laying on Juniper.
My agent got me in 3 Oxblue shots in just one week! I tell you, I'm gonna be a star. I kid -- sorry about your flat tire; honestly with the quantity of sharp-edged steel plates around town I can't believe how few I've had.

Anyways, I'm so excited this section of Peachtree is finally filling in. What a huge difference in the walk from 10th to 14th street.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2008, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Officers dress like tourists, increase their presence along Peachtree
Associated Press

Friday, August 22, 2008

Atlanta police say a mini-crackdown on aggressive panhandling in the city’s Peachtree Corridor has yielded 40 arrests in the past 20 days.

Police also made 50 “interventions” — interrupting aggressive panhandling incidents before they reached a stage warranting arrest.

Major Khirus Williams is commander of Zone 5, where police have increased their presence of officers. He says they’re dressing like tourists, convention goers and plain office workers to lure panhandlers who won’t take no for an answer.

In the past, officers have had trouble prosecuting under the city’s restriction on aggressive panhandling because victims often are tourists who can’t return for a court hearing.

With undercover officers as the victims, Williams says cases will be more likely to move forward.
Yes! Great news!!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 8:20 PM

I've read suggestions that the AJC could possibly go on the market at some point. Cox Enterprises is divesting itself of several newspapers, and Anne Cox Chambers is 88 years old. Apparently she and the children of her deceased sister own the newspaper through a trust. Mrs. Cox's father bought the Journal in 1939 and the Constitution in 1950.

Anyway, although the paper is not on the market now, it's interesting to speculate who might pick it up if it did go up for sale.

Last edited by Andrea; Aug 26, 2008 at 3:45 AM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 8:43 PM
Reliable Source

Murdoch!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 3:34 AM
100% Right 50% Of Time

I honestly don't think a character from the A-Team is qualified to operate a newspaper. Now, if it was Face - then we could talk.

Last edited by Teshadoh; Aug 26, 2008 at 3:13 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 8:05 PM

Coke testing fountain that dispenses 100 beverages

By JOE GUY COLLIER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Atlanta-based Coca-Cola is working on a proprietary fountain system that can dispense more than 100 beverages from a single unit.

First-generation prototype dispensers were tested earlier this summer, the company said Thursday. Second-generation dispensers will begin testing in the first half of 2009. A decision on whether to roll out the system in the market will be made after the second round of testing.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Atlanta-based Coca-Cola is working on a proprietary fountain system that can dispense more than 100 beverages from a single unit.

How many can you get out of one now?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 1:55 AM

A friend of mine raised an interesting question. Other than maybe giving us more good places to eat, has Atlanta's growth improved our quality of life?

I'm honestly not sure.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 3:24 AM

Quote:
By JOE GUY COLLIER

Thursday, August 28, 2008

First-generation prototype dispensers were tested earlier this summer, the company said Thursday. Second-generation dispensers will begin testing in the first half of 2009. A decision on whether to roll out the system in the market will be made after the second round of testing.

gee...I don't know that I want 100 choices.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2008, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
A friend of mine raised an interesting question. Other than maybe giving us more good places to eat, has Atlanta's growth improved our quality of life?

I'm honestly not sure.
Well I like great food so that's probably enough for me More and more different sorts of people are great. Seems like every couple of weeks I stumble across a local magazine I'd never heard of, a theater company that popped up out of nowhere, that kind of thing. People are really the only treasure a city has and we are getting richer and richer.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 3:52 AM

Georgia State/Old Tech/Olympic Dorms - Remodeling?

just curious, I've noticed that the dorm towers on North Avenue by the Connector are having their brick facing removed. However it seems kinda random and piecemeal. Are they being remodeled or is this some sort of major fix of a structural fault?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 3:37 AM

Preservationists protest plan to raze Life of Georgia building

By JIM AUCHMUTEY

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

A Midtown hospital’s expansion may claim a piece of Atlanta history.

Emory Crawford Long Hospital plans to demolish the 78-year-old Life of Georgia building, at West Peachtree Street and Linden Avenue, to make way for a medical complex scheduled to open in 2013.

“We considered rehabilitating the building, but it just wasn’t conducive to world-class health care,” said the hospital’s chief operating officer, Dane Peterson. “We’d have to gut it. It would be very expensive.”

Crawford Long’s plans have started to draw opposition. The Atlanta Preservation Center, a nonprofit advocacy group, launched an online petition signed by more than 275 people asking the hospital to reconsider.

But the petitioners are mounting an uphill battle. The building is not landmarked under the city’s preservation ordinance, and the owner of record, Emory Healthcare, holds a demolition permit.

“That doesn’t mean the building isn’t worth protecting,” said Boyd Coons, executive director of the preservation group. “Midtown has never been properly surveyed, and many significant properties have fallen between the cracks.”

The six-story building was erected in 1930 as the headquarters for the Industrial Life and Health Insurance Co. Renamed Life of Georgia, the business remained there until it moved up the street to a new high-rise in 1968. The company has since been sold.

Clad in white Indiana limestone and decorated with pilasters, rosettes and swags across the top, the building was designed in an understated style that Georgia Tech architecture professor Robert Craig calls “modern classic.” The architects, Charles Frazier and Daniel Bodin, were best known for designing posh homes for wealthy Atlantans in the Tuxedo Park area of Buckhead. Frazier also did an estate for one of Coca-Cola magnate Asa G. Candler’s sons that still stands on Emory’s west campus on Briarcliff Road.

After Life of Georgia vacated its building, Doctors Memorial Hospital took over the space. When the hospital folded in 1986, Emory purchased the property and used it for offices and outpatient surgery until 2002.

Crawford Long has considered razing the structure for several years, but preservationists didn’t get wind of it until this summer. Jeff Clemmons, who works for a nearby law firm, discovered the demolition permit as he was researching Midtown architecture for a walking tour he leads for the preservation center.

“I hadn’t noticed the building before,” he said. “You don’t notice how beautiful it is unless you stop on the sidewalk and look. You don’t really see it if you’re driving by because West Peachtree is such a blur.”

That traffic is one reason Crawford Long wants to remove the building. An interstate ramp dumps onto Linden, often creating a bottleneck on the narrow street.

“We’d like to widen it to four lanes, if the city would let us,” said Crawford Long’s Peterson.

The hospital is still fleshing out its plans and does not intend to tear down the building anytime soon. In the meantime, it is conducting an audit of the property’s architectural features that might be worth reusing.

“We’d like to incorporate some of them in the new construction,” said Peterson, who finds some of the marble detailing “neat.”

The hospital plans to set up a meeting with the preservation center to discuss the possibilities. Coons welcomes the opportunity and points out that Crawford Long has managed to preserve two landmarks on its campus: the 1930 W.W. Orr Doctors’ Building and the 1911 Davis-Fischer Sanatorium.

“I’d like to ask them why they can’t build their expansion on the surface parking lot they own across the street,” Coons said. “Maybe we can get them to rethink their plans and save the building — or at least a part of it.”

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 1:04 PM

This building is NOT worth saving. Whenever anyone shows pictures of it they only show that little thin potion with the molding and the area near the top. Why not show the ugly maintenance portion that sticks out the top or the average and run down street front. It would be hard for them to put something up that looks worse than this building... I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but it would be difficult.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 5:38 PM
Reliable Source

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinatl View Post
This building is NOT worth saving.
I don't think it's all that bad. On other hand, Crawford Long is a major driver of that section of Downtown, and the new medical complex is a very exciting addition. Perhaps they could find a way to incorporate at least some element of the facade somewhere in the new structure, as a bow to the past.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
Painful, and I feel for the employees. Nonetheless, moves like this may become more and more frequent as government revenues dwindle.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
I don't think it's all that bad. On other hand, Crawford Long is a major driver of that section of Downtown, and the new medical complex is a very exciting addition. Perhaps they could find a way to incorporate at least some element of the facade somewhere in the new structure, as a bow to the past.
Sounds like that's what they're planning:
Quote:
“We considered rehabilitating the building, but it just wasn’t conducive to world-class health care,” said the hospital’s chief operating officer, Dane Peterson. “We’d have to gut it. It would be very expensive.”

The hospital is still fleshing out its plans and does not intend to tear down the building anytime soon. In the meantime, it is conducting an audit of the property’s architectural features that might be worth reusing.

“We’d like to incorporate some of them in the new construction,” said Peterson, who finds some of the marble detailing “neat.”
Good enough for me

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
Sounds like that's what they're planning:

Good enough for me
Excellent!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta