HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri View Post
I assuage the loss of Portland's character by reminding myself that a major earthquake could reduce much of this city to rubble in an eyeblink. Still, I almost wish for a recession if only to put a brake on this more gradual devastation.
I was at Powell's last weekend and picked up a book called the Portland Catalog from the mid 80s. It's a book loaded with Portland businesses. It's mostly advertising but a ton of restaurants were featured. 90% of them are gone. I could be sad about this but most restaurants don't survive the owner retiring. the Rheinlander is an exception where the daughter was willing to take it on. Look at all the new places we have today that we didn't have just a few years ago. 20 years from now, people will be mourning these new places shutting down. Just gotta put this all in perspective.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 2:55 PM
Semi-Lurker

On the bright side, the developer is Venerable Properties who specialize in adaptive reuse and historical rehabilitation. So there is a good chance the building will be sticking around.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
On the bright side, the developer is Venerable Properties who specialize in adaptive reuse and historical rehabilitation. So there is a good chance the building will be sticking around.
I'll keep my fingers crossed. The building itself is kitsch, but endearing all the same. I love this kind of stuff since it's evocative of another era, well-scaled for a street like Sandy, and more than a little whimsical. It's why I'm predisposed to think hopefully of the Fair-Haired Dumbbell. Not every building needs to be an exercise in astringent modernism or value engineering.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 10:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
I was at Powell's last weekend and picked up a book called the Portland Catalog from the mid 80s. It's a book loaded with Portland businesses. It's mostly advertising but a ton of restaurants were featured. 90% of them are gone. I could be sad about this but most restaurants don't survive the owner retiring. the Rheinlander is an exception where the daughter was willing to take it on. Look at all the new places we have today that we didn't have just a few years ago. 20 years from now, people will be mourning these new places shutting down. Just gotta put this all in perspective.
Tell her to open a new location if it's that big of a deal

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 6:42 AM

A project at 4204 NE Halsey St has been submitted for building permit review by LRS Architects:

Quote:
Construct new 6 story building with concrete podium and 5 level wood framed construction; ground floor level parking with building lobby and 3 future tenant spaces; top levels to include 100 apartment units; associated site work
Building permits were issued to Tiland/Schmidt Architects for the NE Alberta & MLK retail development:

Quote:
New single story 8,400 square foot masonry building, landscaping, parking, stormwater facility. Shell only, no occupancy this permit.

New single story 16,500 square foot masonry building, landscaping, parking, stormwater facility. Shell only, no occupancy this permit.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Former Taco Time property on Sandy slated for project

Developer Vic Remmers and his architectural team led by Bob Thompson met with Rose City Park Neighborhood Association’s land use and transportation committee in mid-September to talk about Northeast Portland’s latest major building project, a proposed six-story, brick-and-metal panel building. The structure’s ground floor is planned to contain retail accommodations, the building lobby and 19 parking spaces. There will be 89 apartment units on the five floors above.

Expected to be opened by mid-2018, the development will occupy three lots. Two on the vacant Taco Time property at 5036 N.E. Sandy Blvd. and the other, a single-family home at 2305 N.E. 51st Ave. Remmers and his consultants are in the design stage, and hope to apply for permits in December. Thompson said permitting could take up to four months and construction is expected to last 12 to 14 months. When construction actually begins will depend on equipment and crew scheduling in early 2017.

The retail space will front Northeast Sandy Boulevard, where the structure will be built up to the sidewalk. A lobby and parking entrance will open onto Northeast 51st Avenue, where a building setback will increase with elevation, allowing for open balconies along that street. Plans also call for 15-foot, four-inch caliper columnar trees to be planted along Northeast Thompson Street.
...continues at the Hollywood Star News.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 7:19 PM

Latest drawings [PDF - 14 MB] and Staff Report for the Jantzen apartments.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Latest drawings [PDF - 14 MB] and Staff Report for the Jantzen apartments.
MUCH improved courtyard.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 7:48 PM

Early Assistance has been requested by Green Hammer for a project at 20 NE Tillamook St:

Quote:
Proposal is for five buildings with a total of 17 units of residential 1-3 bedroom apartments with eight spaces of off-street parking.
A project at 3802 NE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd has been submitted for Type II Design Review by TVA Architects:

Quote:
5 story apartment building wit 89 units & parking
A project at 3434 NE Sandy Blvd has been submitted for Type II Design Review by C2K Architecture:

Quote:
Renovation of existing building to include retail and commercial uses along Sandy Boulevard and development mechanic’s shop into commercial bakery. Existing parking to be converted to amenity space.
A project at 2510 NE Sandy Blvd has been submitted for Type II Design Review by Brett Schulz Architect:

Quote:
New construction of five story with mezzanine building with 90 residential units, three retail spaces and 19 surface parking stalls.
The Grant Warehouse Redevelopment at 3368 NE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd has been submitted for building permit review by Carleton Hart Architecture:

Quote:
New 5 story, multi-family building with 80 units and ground floor retail (future). Site work includes new parking, circulation paths and landscaping.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 5:41 AM

A project at 5454 NE 14th Pl has been submitted for building permit review:

Quote:
New 4-story apartment building to include 15 dwelling units. Main floor to include parking garage and bike parking and associated site work.
A project at 2869 NE Sandy Blvd has been submitted for a Pre-Permit Zoning Plan Check by Ankrom Moisan Architects:

Quote:
206 unit, 6-story apartment building with basement parking and partial retail on the first floor.
A project at 5036 NE Sandy Blvd has been submitted for Type II Design Review by TVA Architects:

Quote:
New 6-story 64′ high, 89 unite mixed-use/multi-family. It includes on off-site surface parking and bike parking.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 2:09 AM

Jantzen Apartments

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 12:48 AM

Design Advice has been requested by BKL/A Architecture for a project at 2104 NE 13th Ave:

Quote:
New 3 story apartment complex – approximately 11 units.
(This would seem to require demolishing a contributing structure in the Irvington Historic District. I'm curious about how they intend to do that.)

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 4:28 AM

A project at 20 NE Tillamook St has been submitted for Type II Design Review by Green Hammer:

Quote:
Proposal is for a net zero energy 16-unit apartment complex developed in four buildings organized around a central courtyard and a commons buildiing. Project, named Tillamook Row, includes one, two and three bedroom units with covered bike parking and garbage/recycling as well as surface parking lot with seven parking spaces.
A building permit was issued to Mackenzie for a project at 989 NE 61st Ave (formerly 6006 NE Holladay):

Quote:
New 118,162 sf four story self storage building**with 15-280089-MT**

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 8:17 PM

Two weeks ago

The Grant High School Modernization has been submitted for Type III Conditional Use Review:

Quote:
Grant highschool updates
Last week

A building permit was issued to Urban Development Group for a project at 7017 NE Grand Ave:

Quote:
Construct new 3 story, 12 unit apartment building, 2 buildings are attached by stairs and landings on each end, 2 detached trash enclosures (less than 120 sf each) no parking, site utilities included
This week

A project at 6035 NE Flanders St has been submitted for building permit review:

Quote:
Construct 3 story, 4 plex building with 2 tuck under garages, 2 units on lowest level, 2 main floor units with upper levels above, no detached trash area, includes associated site work

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 8:32 PM

A project at NE 79th & Everett has been submitted for building permit review:

Quote:
New three story six unit multifamily dwelling
A building permit was issued for Grant Park Village Phase II at 1580 NE 32nd Ave:

Quote:
5 story new apartment building with 4 stories wood frame construction over 1st story concrete construction and 1 level of sub-grade parking

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Colas Construction breaks ground on PDC project Alberta Commons

The long-vacant site is being turned into a retail center for the King neighborhood

Alberta Commons broke ground in the King neighborhood, beginning to turn a long-vacant site into retail center the provides services for the North Portland community.

A long-time Portland Development Commission project, property ownership has officially transferred to the Alberta Commons developer, Majestic Realty.

Plans include two retail buildings, one 5,000 and the other 8,000 square feet, and a landscaped plaza with seating and public art. The anchor tenant is planned to be Natural Grocers, with small, local retail to activate the corners.

"We intend to recruit minority-owned businesses to lease this (smaller) space," said Anne Mangan, senior communications coordinator with the PDC.

The PDC's goal with Alberta Commons is to foster the development of strong commercial nodes as part of the Albina Community Plan, two full blocks the PDC has been putting together since 1997.
...continues at the Business Tribune.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 6:38 AM

Notice of a Type II Proposal for Tillamook Row

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 4:52 AM

Early Assistance has been requested by Encore Architects for a project at 1337 E Burnside St:

Quote:
The project consists of a six-story approximately 200 unit apartment building with below-grade parking for approx. 118 vehicles.
(Does anyone know the status of the street vacation? Portland Maps no longer shows the NE Sandy Blvd ROW cutting through the site, however the County Assessor maps do. I also can't find any record online that the City Council has approved the vacation.)

A Pre-Application Conference has been scheduled for a project at 1500 NE Irving St:

Quote:
Proposal is new construction of a four story apartment building with 60 units with tuck under grade level parkiing. Existing parking lot to be re-striped to provide parking lots for both existing office and new apartment building.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 6:07 AM

Damn this is ugly:

Quote:
More apartments coming to Hollywood without parking

On November 30, Mark Wilde and Brett Barton of Portland City Homes participated in a special land use meeting of the Hollywood Neighborhood Association to discuss their plans for a multifamily project with 1100 square feet of ground-floor retail at 1621 N.E. 41st Ave. – across the street from Trader Joe’s.

Construction of the proposed five-story, 27-unit apartment building – which has yet to be named – will require demolition of a 1922 single-family residence that for the past 30 years provided commercial offices for Andrew Ragland’s Hollywood Law Center. Portland City Homes purchased the property from Ragland last summer for $520,000. The site is zoned CS for storefront commercial.

“Although the Hollywood Plan District allows for a potentially larger or higher-density building, we worked hard to design something that benefited the neighborhood without having a negative impact on the surrounding community,” said Wilde, City Homes’ president.

The property falls just south of SomaSpace dance studio at the corner of Northeast Broadway and is two lots north of the recently completed Footprint Hollywood micro-studio project – which is four stories tall and doesn’t include ground-floor retail. The western edge of the property is buffeted by the back side of the A-Boy Electric & Plumbing shop and the southern border abuts another residential property, on a double lot, that has been converted to legal offices with surface parking.
...continues at the Hollywood Star News.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland