HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Indeed. Griesbach is a really well done community thus far. It'd have been nice if the commercial corner was developed a bit earlier and was perhaps not peripheral to the neighbourhood, but no place is perfect. Griesbach will be a true peer to Garrison Woods in Calgary, Cornell in Markham, East Clayton in Surrey, New Urbanist developments in the US, etc.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlenoodle View Post
You've hit it on the head there Landlocked.

I spent the better part of the last 15 years being a carless, central-living individual trying to live the sort of urbanist ideal that many here ascribe to. I "ate at the healthy restaurant" every chance I could. I walked to & from work most days (a whopping 3km commute) & took the bus during inclement weather or on days I just wanted to get home.

Then I got transferred to a different job location so now I'm adjacent to NAIT vs across the street from Rogers Place. 50% longer commute. Still live in Oliver (I love my neighborhood, I love my condo), so that meant transit was no longer a viable option (100% longer transit time to go 50% farther, plus blocks of walking), thanks to the terrible routing of ETS. So I got my car & I realized how much I was missing out on due to my previous lack of transportation options.

Chores that took a couple hours a couple times a week like grocery shopping were now taken care of in one go once a week in the same amount of time. No longer was I beholden to ETS & their creative interpretations of their own posted schedules. The sheer quality of life improvements that my car has brought to me, as a central resident who still chooses the "healthy" option when I can made me far more aware & empathetic to those who drive as a matter of fact. I couldn't imagine trying to raise a family centrally without a car, not without sacrificing the children's quality of life to win an ideological victory. Whereas I'm now able to do a lot more thanks to my own improved transportation option, some families can only do what they want to do & live the lives they want to live through pervasive car-use & living in a suburb next to other families with enough similar values to form a real community.

I don't think we need to cede control of our built form entirely to the private automobile, but to try and ignore or otherwise minimize the real, tangible benefits that car ownership & pervasive use have for many individuals & acknowledging the basic demographics of the city we live in just seems hubristic at best & ignorant at worst. What's "wrong" by the standards of the urban-uber-alles contingent may very well be what those who are content to live in Silver Berry consider "right". It's all perspective.
I'm sympathetic to this; I previously lived happily carfree in central London, Paris, and most recently Chicago. I then moved to Edmonton (Oliver) two years ago. For the first year I didn't have a car and tried to make it work. This year I got a car and everything became much easier (though I still live in Oliver). That said, I far prefer my pedestrian lifestyle in major urban centers to my automobile life in Edmonton. I am committed to Edmonton for family/personal reasons and want to see it grow and succeed and become something more than it is. I don't think there will be neighborhoods in Edmonton as pedestrian friendly as the other cities within my lifetime, but we can certainly build our neighborhoods and streetscapes in new, urban friendly directions. I haven't read through all the posts here, but there is an undercurrent from some that seems to assume that just because the vast majority of Edmontonians live in cookie-cutter suburbs and drive everywhere it is because that is what they want--the "culture" here is car-centric. I don't mean this to sound condescending, but a lot of them simply don't know any differently, and might love an urban lifestyle if it was available. It's not for everyone, but how do they know unless the urban option is there? There is such paucity of dense urban spaces in Edmonton that it is hardly an imposition on the suburbs to build up some healthy inner-city communities. It will do wonders to attract and keep new migrants who come from cultures where everyone--families, singles and all--live in dense communities.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 3:16 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanroo View Post
I haven't read through all the posts here, but there is an undercurrent from some that seems to assume that just because the vast majority of Edmontonians live in cookie-cutter suburbs and drive everywhere it is because that is what they want--the "culture" here is car-centric. I don't mean this to sound condescending, but a lot of them simply don't know any differently, and might love an urban lifestyle if it was available. It's not for everyone, but how do they know unless the urban option is there? There is such paucity of dense urban spaces in Edmonton that it is hardly an imposition on the suburbs to build up some healthy inner-city communities. It will do wonders to attract and keep new migrants who come from cultures where everyone--families, singles and all--live in dense communities.
Most of the folks I know who live in the burbs enjoying travelling in an urban fashion, but do not want to live in it. They enjoy moments, but not the everyday +/- of it all when they can have much more space, a backyard and the flexibility of a car to get to and fro.

That said, this is certainly changing and continues to make our city a much more interesting, accessible and exciting place.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 8:46 PM
Community Guy

The City is hosting their first public meeting for the Jasper Avenue New Vision project on January 18th. The details of the session are below.At this event we will be showing the public our draft concept plan between 95-100 Street and asking for feedback and comments. Our concept plan will show some of the proposed changes to Jasper Avenue including wider sidewalks, narrower through lanes of traffic, re-evaluating parking along the corridor and improving safety along the corridor.

Date: Thursday, January 18th, 2018

Time: 11:30am-1:30pm
4:30-8:00 pm

9808 Jasper Avenue

For more information you can visit https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...ew-vision.aspx

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:12 AM

5 years in, Edmonton is buying into skinny homes

Higher demand for skinnies reflects shift in acceptance and lifestyle

Natasha Riebe · CBC News · Posted: Jun 03, 2018

The demand for skinny homes in Edmonton's mature neighbourhoods keeps rising, realtors and builders say. (UrbanAge Homes)

Skinny homes are moving up in Edmonton.

The narrow houses, typically two storeys tall and 17 feet wide, are becoming commonplace in places like Glenora, Westmount and Inglewood, a few years after long-time residents decried them as ruining the feel of their mature, tree-lined neighbourhoods.

Sue McCoy, president of the Glenora community league, said most residents seem to accept skinny homes as part of the neighbourhood's modern landscape.

"The assumption is if a house is coming down, two skinnies are going up," McCoy told CBC News. "That's what we're seeing."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...omes-1.4689007

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 2:27 AM
Community Guy

@ianoyeg

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 4:14 AM

4 Major Upcoming Projects in Edmonton, Alberta

August 16, 2018

From a major trading post, to the “Oil Capital of Canada,” to a recognized cultural centre – the city of Edmonton has a long and varied history. And what would the capital of Alberta be without its buildings and artwork past, present and future?

Over the last few years, eyes across the globe have been on Edmonton with highly anticipated projects such as Rogers Place, the new Royal Alberta Museum and Stantec Tower. And while some of the city’s upcoming projects are less flashy, they’re still just as impressive – and just as Edmonton.

https://www.cadillaccoatings.ca/blog...monton-alberta

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 4:42 AM
Unregistered User :(

^I think they have the wrong picture for the Winspear Centre. I thought it was this:

https://cdn.skyrisecities.com/sites/...658-108899.jpg

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 5:19 PM
Community Guy

Imagine Jasper Avenue update

2020-2022: Phase 1 construction from 109 St to 114 St
https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...er-avenue.aspx

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 3:19 AM
Community Guy

Had a preview of the Centennial Plaza + Clock Tower redo. They are focussing on play, sensory experiences and beauty.

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...velopment.aspx

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
^I think they have the wrong picture for the Winspear Centre. I thought it was this:

https://cdn.skyrisecities.com/sites/...658-108899.jpg
this was a previous iteration that might have been a home run or might have been a real municipal toothache depending on execution (something we don’t have a great track record for lately). the current design can be seen here and has similar upside potential and less downside risk unless they take their design development precedents from the library and the ram.
https://www.winspearcentre.com/more/...nspearproject/

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 1:25 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
I can imagine that some staff within the City would be frustrated that a group they sponsor is advocating against the City's plan.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 2:42 PM
Community Guy

Sometimes plans are better left changed as a result of thoughtful and constructive feedback.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 3:29 AM

I like the current protected bike lanes. The new proposal leaves us vulnerable to being hit or killed. Sometimes no change is better than any change.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 4:46 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
I like the current protected bike lanes. The new proposal leaves us vulnerable to being hit or killed. Sometimes no change is better than any change.
When they proposed that change I was quite surprised. Doesn't seem right.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 4:18 PM

Opinion: Delay renewal of 105 Avenue until it can be done right

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...-be-done-right

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 1:46 AM
Community Guy

Please share your thoughts on this over designed, people won't want to hang out there anyways place.

We must retain easy to use parking in some areas and focus on key urban/pedestrian areas... something that this is not.

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...aign=103avenue

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 5:53 AM

That 103 Avenue space is beautiful. They should extend this people-focused corridor the entire width of downtown!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 2:21 PM
I smash you

Not sure what they are trying to accomplish with this one.
Is it intended to serve as a pedestrian corridor to connect City Hall and Ice District?

Small patches of "open grass area" between sidewalks and roads? No one (other than those passed out) will use those as intended. They will be trampled messes of cigarette butts and compacted soil. Those LID plantings don't have a chance in hell of surviving either.

Nothing against this one block stretch of 103 Avenue, but it is not (and will not) be a casual outdoor urban hangout like those ridiculous renderings propose.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton