HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 9:30 PM
Community Guy

Upcoming Shake-Up conference showcases how Edmonton has warmed up to winter

January 30, 2017

In just two weeks Edmonton will host the 2017 Winter Cities
Shake-Up Conference. Delegates from 40 winter cities
around the globe will gather to discuss winter strategies,
share successes and generate ideas to make winter a
season to look forward to. The three-day conference
explores new approaches to winter living in the
areas of business, urban design, culture and wellness.
But being a successful winter city is more than just talk.

There has been a noticeable shift in the way Edmontonians
approach winters: we don’t just brave the cold, we thrive it in.
This was the theme when Councillor Ben Henderson was joined
by other local winter enthusiasts on Cafe Bicyclette’s
outdoor winter patio to celebrate the city’s changing
temperament towards winter.

“In a remarkably short time, the community has shifted their way of thinking and embraced this idea of being a proud winter city” says Councillor Henderson. “It’s not just people who have lived here for a while and are used to the cold, but newcomers and visitors are actively seeking out the incredible things to see and do here during this time”.

As we look towards celebrating Canada’s 150th winter, the season is also a great way to creatively engage in our rich local history. “The Flying Canoe Races is about as Canadian as it gets” says Daniel Cournoyer, producer of Flying Canoë Volant. This inaugural event, taking place during the Shake-Up conference, is a creative homage to the legend of the Flying Canoe, tapping into our French-Canadian, First Nation and Métis tradition. “Where else but Canada would people join a team to race a full-size canoe down a snow-covered hill, throw an axe or two and bucksaw through a tree stump, just for fun?”

Winter Cities Shake-Up takes place February 16-18 at the Shaw Conference Centre. If you’re looking to embrace your winter spirit, register now and check out these cool activities around the city:

Feb 2 - 4, Flying Canoë Volant, La Cite Francophone

Feb 10 - 20, Silver Skate Festival

Feb 15 - Mar 31, MADE’s Winter Design Exhibition, Latitude 53

Feb 16, NextGen Pecha Kucha Night, SHAW Conference Centre

Feb 17, November Project Workout (@Nov_ProjectCAN)

Feb 17, Flying Canoe Races, Edmonton Ski Club

Feb 18, ShakeUp Festival, The Armature

For more information:

To see the full program and register, visit wintercitiesconference.com. Full conference and single-day registration options available.

For a full list of Edmonton winter activities, visit wintercityedmonton.ca

Media contact:

Ramya Velmurugiah
Communications Advisor
780-496-8226

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 4:00 PM
Community Guy

'Cadillac of toboggan rides' part of Edmonton's upcoming winter city conference

ELISE STOLTE

City officials are hoping this year’s WinterCity Shake-up conference will detail how to design cities to be warmer, healthier and more magical.

They’re also signing up teams of four to race canoes down Gallagher hill — a race La Cite Francophone’s Daniel Cournoyer promises is both safe and comfortable.

With a padded canoe following a custom-made luge track, it will be “the Cadillac of toboggan rides,” he said, urging people to get signed up at flyingcanoevolant.ca. “It’s a nice quick sweep down the hill and it follows up with a bucksaw challenge and an axe throw. Best times move forward.”

The Flying Canoe Volant festival, which runs this weekend out of La Cite Francophone, is adding the additional event to coincide with the Winter Cities Shake-up Conference, which runs Feb. 16-18, building on work from the first conference in 2015. Twenty speakers — and some attendees — from across Canada, Europe and Asia are lined up and conference officials said local residents are welcome, too.

Experts will detail how to design effective sunny nooks that capture heat while keeping out the wind, how embracing winter in other countries has improved rates of depression, how to create a sense of place in winter from an urban design perspective, and a business case for supporting winter biking, said Sue Holdsworth, leading the winter city effort for the City of Edmonton.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...ity-conference

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 6:31 PM

Don't forget, it's Winter Walk Day: http://shapeab.com/winter-walk-day/

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 8:40 PM
Community Guy

Everyday is a winter walk day

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 10:32 PM
Community Guy

Embrace the winter chill at PKN 27
Presenter lineup announced

February 2, 2017

Edmonton’s NextGen is partnering with the 2017 Winter Cities Shake-Up Conference and will showcase 10 unique presentations celebrating all things winter at the next Pecha Kucha Night. PKN 27 will feature these dynamic speakers:

Michele Perret - Making Minus Positive in a YEG Winter

Mandy Johnson - #BikeAllWinter

Darren Proulx - Using Snow to Build a Better City

Glenn Kubish - Inside Coffee Outside

Emma Sanborn - Life in Luleå

Matt Roper - Winter River Pavilions

Susan Yackulic - Nordic Walking: The Perfect Winter City Outdoor Activity

Shafraaz Kaba - Re-Imagine the Arts District for Edmonton's Winter Nights

Michael Glazier - Commuting in Winter: The Experiment

Kairi Pawlick - Choose Your Winter

Date: Thursday, February 16, 2017
Time: 7 p.m.
9797 Jasper Ave
Cost: $10 or two for $15 (Students)

Tickets are now available online.

Derived from the Japanese phrase for “the sound of chit chat”, Pecha Kucha Nights are global, fun and informal gatherings where Edmontonians present innovative ideas in a fast-paced, concise and entertaining format.

For more information:

edmontonnextgen.ca/

pechakucha.org

Media contact:

Katie Stewart
Communications Coordinator
Citizen Services
780-442-1696

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 10:40 PM
Community Guy

Background: The Winter Shake-Up Festival

Let’s shake up winter together this Family Day weekend at the Shake-Up Festival!

Join us on Saturday, February 18 for a free family party in the heart of Downtown. This all-ages event will feature:

* Live entertainment

* Free hot chocolate

* Sleigh rides

* Bannock-making...and much more!

When: Saturday, February 18 (Family Day Weekend)

Time: 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Where: The Armature (located on the north side of Jasper Avenue and 96 Street)

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 10:53 PM
Community Guy

Sip, slide and dance on skates to celebrate winter

February 2, 2017

Fall in love with winter at two separate events that invite you to the toboggan hills and a Valentine’s Day disco skate and dance!

Sip & Slide Sundays Are Back

Grab your sleds, slide down the hill and sip a free hot chocolate from WinterCity Edmonton! You'll find our hot chocolate crews at the following three toboggan hills every Sunday this month. We're making it easier to play outside in winter, so come on Edmonton, bundle up and get out in the snow.

Dates: February 5, 12, 19 and 26, 2017
Time: 1 p.m. – 4:30 p.m., or until the hot chocolate runs out.
Locations: Rundle Park: ACT Hill (2903-113Ave)
Jackie Parker Park (4540-50 St)
Gallagher Park (97Ave & 92St)

Shake Your Groove Thing at the Valentine’s Day Disco Skate & Dance

Skate or dance around the City Hall rink with your special someone this Valentine's Day. WinterCity Edmonton invites you to our wintry love fest where you can roast bannock over an open fire, enjoy a cup of hot chocolate, or play a giant game of checkers.

Free skate and helmet rentals will be available on a first come first served basis.

Date: February 14, 2017
Time: 5 p.m. – 9 p.m.

Events may be cancelled due to severe weather, poor ice conditions or lack of attendance at the toboggan hill. Call 311 for the most up-to-date event information.

For more information on both events:

wintercityedmonton.ca/events/sip-slide-sundays/

wintercityedmonton.ca/events/valentines-disco-skate-dance/

Media contact:

Adrienne C. Hill
Communications Advisor
Citizen Services
780-442-6966

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 5:29 PM
Community Guy

Winter Cities Shake-Up kicks off this week

February 13, 2017

Media are invited to the 2017 Winter Cities Shake-Up, an international conference shaking up preconceptions of winter. Join leaders and innovators from 40 winter cities around the globe as they share out-of-the-box approaches to urban winter living in the areas of culture, design and business.

Date: Thursday, February 16 to Saturday, February 18, 2017
Time: Morning sessions begin at 8:30 a.m. and go throughout the day
Location: Shaw Conference Centre (with various field trips around the city)

Media opportunities:

Opening Ceremonies with opening remarks from Mayor Don Iveson, Elder Gilman Cardinal, the Confederacy of Treaty Six First Nations and the Métis Nation of Alberta
Many speakers are available for live and taped interviews
Interview room available at Shaw Conference Centre
Media passes available
Media can join field trip activities upon request
Suggested story ideas include:

Latitude 53 Opening Reception
Media Architecture Design Edmonton's (MADE) Winter Design Exhibition, a showcase of projects that speak and respond to Alberta’s winter
The Debaters LIVE!
A comedy stage show made popular by the hit CBC Radio One program. This edition tackles the question: is winter really is the coolest season?
Dark + Cold = Depressing? Not in Tromso, Norway
Keynote speaker Kari Leibowitz speaks on the Norwegian mindset towards winter well-being
5000 square meters of frozen water makes a great place to sleep
Learn more about ICEHOTEL, the hugely successful undertaking in a Swedish village 200 km north of the Arctic Circle, from its creative director
We Bundle Up: Fashion, Function & Flair Fashion Show
Downtown Fat Bike Tour
Local organizations, Blitz Conditioning and Revolution Cycle, will take you on a guided tour of downtown
Flying Canoe Races
A creative homage to the legend of the Flying Canoe where teams race a full-size canoe down a snow-covered hill
If we design our cities better, will we be happier?
Edmonton Top 40 Under 40 recipient, Robin Mazumder, explores the links between urban design and mental health
For more information
Find full program schedule and more story ideas at wintercitiesconference.com.
Media contact

Ramya Velmurugiah
Communications Advisor
780-496-8226

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 3:00 AM
Community Guy

Come watch us kick some snow!

Flying Canoe Races at the Edmonton Ski Club
Date/Time: Friday February 17, 2017 | Begins 7:00 pm

Location: Edmonton Ski Club (9613 96 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T6C 2B3)

Come take part in this “Canadian Triathlon”. All delegates are welcome to watch the race, which consists of racing a canoe down a ski hill, a two person bucksaw, and axe throwing. The top four teams will move on to the final and the fastest team will be Flying Canoe Races champions! There will be a shuttle bus circulating between the Shaw Conference Centre, Hawrelak Park and the Edmonton Ski Club.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 3:12 AM
Community Guy

Reminder:

Winter Pecha Kucha Night / Winter Culture & Innovation Showcase
Date/Time: Thursday, February 16, 2017 | Doors open at 6:00pm; presentations begin at 7:00pm.

Come browse new technologies, practices, activities, music, art, fashion and food that contribute to thriving winter cities, winter living and economy. The showcase will feature interactive display from over 20 companies and organizations that are dedicated to making winter life more enjoyable.

Edmonton's NextGen is excited to present Pecha Kucha Night 27—an evening of winter celebration! Ten exciting presentations that embrace the chill in our winter city are up on the docket. Make sure to come early to check out the Innovation Showcase!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 3:13 AM
Community Guy

Downtown Fat Bike Tour
Date/Time: Thursday February 16, 2017 | 5:15 - 6:30 pm

Cost: FREE | Limit of 30 participants
Location: Departing from the north entrance of the Shaw Conference Centre, on Jasper Avenue

Local organizations, Blitz Conditioning and Revolution Cycle, will take you on a guided tour of our beautiful downtown. Yes, there will be snow, and it might get a bit chilly. Fear not, we will provide you with some hot chocolate to warm you up to start the ride, and dinner at the Blue Plate Diner on 104 street, family style! If you don’t have a bike, that’s okay! We have 15 bikes that you can borrow, the rest will need to bring their own bike! First come, first serve on our Fat Bikes (through the registration form).

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 5:39 AM

Hasn't been feeling like much of a winter city lately! Had my apartment windows open all day today.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 5:41 AM
Community Guy

We often have short memories... think about a week ago.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 5:51 AM

I choose to have a short memory

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 3:41 PM
Community Guy

Great first day of the Winter Cities Shake-up and today looks to follow that up. Shame about the weather though as it has impacted some of the events/activities.

Hope to see you all at the Edmonton Ski Club tonight for the canoe races, ESC patio bar and live music!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 2:38 AM

Winter City Strategy

Interesting piece in the Globe and Mail this morning about Edmonton business' embrace of the Wintercity Strategy.

"t’s part of a transformation taking place across Edmonton, the northernmost big city in North America. Since the city’s council endorsed a winter city strategy in 2012, a rethink of the cold, dark season is under way, with opportunities emerging for small businesses."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle34065811/

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 3:50 AM
Community Guy

Slowly but surely...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 11:32 PM
Community Guy

Heated toboggans for everyone.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 4:39 AM
Community Guy

Great to see some of this work paying off.

http://www.westjetmagazine.com/hub/b...ampaign=buffer

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 4:12 AM
Community Guy

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton