HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

View Poll Results: Which of the designs would you like to see become the new Lansdowne 'Front Lawn'?
Option A: "One Park, Four Landscapes" 12 11.88%
Option B: "Win Place Show" 23 22.77%
Option C: "A Force of Nature" 14 13.86%
Option D: "All Roads Lead to Aberdeen" 16 15.84%
Option E: "The Canal Park in Ottawa" 18 17.82%
None of the above. Please keep my ashphalt. 18 17.82%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
If you have been to farmer's markets in other urban areas, it isn't at all unusual to see trailers prohibited. Trailers take up a lot of space and are ugly. A proliferation of trailers would make the square less pedestrian friendly and less inviting as a public space.

It is a little bit inconsistent to complain about too many cars in Lansdowne on the one hand, and then suggest that the vendors should be able to park trailers on site, or better yet, that the market move to a more car-oriented location. If you ever tried to take your kid to hockey at Brewer arena on a Sunday morning, you would not be clamouring for a return to that arangement.
The Parkdale and Byward Markets do not allow trailers. I remember taking my son to swimming classes at Brewer pool, yikes.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
But is Lansdowne one of those spaces, or is it just an effort to keep the place "white bread"? I've only been once to the market and don't have much of an impression of the space and how it could/could not accommodate farm trucks.
There wouldn't be a whole lot of room for trucks on the square. They could (and should) expand by closing the roads around the square, but I doubt the restaurants want trailers and trucks parked up to their patios.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 11:01 PM

Phil235, you're right about calling me out on being against cars on Landsdown's surface and for farmer's trailers. It certainly seems contradictory....

Without farmers selling directly out of their trailers, and no live fowl, it wouldn't feel like the farmers market like in days past. It would be nice to get this kind of rural market experience within the more transit accessible greenbelt.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggys View Post
Phil235, you're right about calling me out on being against cars on Landsdown's surface and for farmer's trailers. It certainly seems contradictory....

Without farmers selling directly out of their trailers, and no live fowl, it wouldn't feel like the farmers market like in days past. It would be nice to get this kind of rural market experience within the more transit accessible greenbelt.
Not sure what the happy medium would be. Maybe allowing farmers some more leeway to get their produce in and out, and creating some more semi-permanent facilities for them?

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 2:11 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

A couple of tragic events coming to TD Place:

1) June 1 - Ottawa Fury vs. Vancouver Whitecaps (AMWAY Canadian Championship - Semi-Final).

Vancouver being an MLS team will be an interesting measuring stick for us.

https://ev10.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncom...roupCode=&cgc=

2) June 7 - Canadian Women's National Team vs. Brazil.

One of only two matches in Canada as part of the "Road to Rio". The other is June 4 in Toronto.

* Of note, if you purchase tickets to the Fury match, you'll receive a 2-for-1 offer for the Women's match.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 3:10 PM

From David Chernushenko's latest newsletter (from May 26th):

http://www.capitalward.ca/index.php/...latest#anchor1

Quote:
Lansdowne tree replacement begins

OSEG has begun the long-awaited process to replace all the street trees at Lansdowne that died during the winter of 2014–2015 and were later removed. A certified arborist examined the trees and concluded that several factors, including tree pit design, winter maintenance practices and extraordinarily cold temperatures, contributed to the mass die-off.

The replanting — with Valley Forge Elm and the Shademaster Honey Locust — will take into account the unique design requirements and local winter weather conditions. The tree pits are being modified with raised grates, tree guards and a planting technique that’s more conducive to air and water circulation. OSEG will also wrap the lower portions of the trees in the fall and modify the winter maintenances processes.

To improve the trees' chances for long-term survival at Lansdowne, OSEG will start by planting 12 test trees along Exhibition Way and Marché Way, and study their growth and health over the next 12 months. If all goes well, the rest will be replaced next spring.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
A couple of tragic events coming to TD Place:

1) June 1 - Ottawa Fury vs. Vancouver Whitecaps (AMWAY Canadian Championship - Semi-Final).

Vancouver being an MLS team will be an interesting measuring stick for us.

2) June 7 - Canadian Women's National Team vs. Brazil.

One of only two matches in Canada as part of the "Road to Rio". The other is June 4 in Toronto.

* Of note, if you purchase tickets to the Fury match, you'll receive a 2-for-1 offer for the Women's match.
Surely nobody would want to go see the Brazilian national women's volleyball team....

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post

Interesting - Valley Forge Elm. Have they been planted much elsewhere in town, I wonder? I miss elms.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 5:19 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Surely nobody would want to go see the Brazilian national women's volleyball team....
Volleyball? I assumed this was a soccer match.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Volleyball? I assumed this was a soccer match.
You are probably correct. I have no idea where I got "volleyball" from! Time for me to take a nap!

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 6:12 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Mystery solved. I was scratching my head trying to figure out the volleyball reference, not to mention why anyone wouldn't want to see women's volleyball

Guess I should have been more clear. Both are soccer matches.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post

Interesting. Urban tree planting is a delicate art and it's easy for things to go wrong. I'm glad OSEG is committed to trying again.

That said, the trees in Aberdeen Square are actually doing REALLY well.. so at least those ones were done right the first time.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 1:25 AM

I must say I'm shocked and pleased that they are going to replace the trees! I assumed that was a long lost memory by now

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl View Post
I must say I'm shocked and pleased that they are going to replace the trees! I assumed that was a long lost memory by now
I'm surprised at your surprise - replacing the fallen each spring is an urban ritual, no? The have a better chance of establishing themselves now than if you leave it until the autumn.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 1:47 PM

I seem to recall the trees in conjunction with patios made the sidewalk area almost too small for a single person to walk by, let alone two passing eachother. Especially infront of Joey.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
Mystery solved. I was scratching my head trying to figure out the volleyball reference, not to mention why anyone wouldn't want to see women's volleyball

Guess I should have been more clear. Both are soccer matches.
Can't wait for the Amway match tonite, I purchased 9 tickets for my friends and family.

As for women's volleyball, I concur, if the Brazilian women's voleyball team were to play in town, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Can anyone say e y e c a n d y ?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 1:56 AM

Cool Planting Trees

Quote:
It is good that they do plant some new trees in Lansdowne park. Maybe young trees are very sensitive towards very cold weather in the winter. Are the apple trees doing okay?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 3:46 AM

Quote:
I'm surprised at your surprise - replacing the fallen each spring is an urban ritual, no? The have a better chance of establishing themselves now than if you leave it until the autumn.
this is a joke aimed at the usual situation in ottawa where a new building plants trees in a hole that isnt big enough to let them live, or in a shady location, and they immediately die and are never replaced. there should be rules to enforce the addition of trees for new buildings.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 3:14 PM

Quote:
this is a joke aimed at the usual situation in ottawa where a new building plants trees in a hole that isnt big enough to let them live, or in a shady location, and they immediately die and are never replaced. there should be rules to enforce the addition of trees for new buildings.
Absolutely - it's not as easy as just plopping a tree into an urban hole isn't rocket science either.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loga0082 View Post
It is good that they do plant some new trees in Lansdowne park. Maybe young trees are very sensitive towards very cold weather in the winter. Are the apple trees doing okay?
I haven't seen them, but my guess would be "yes". This past winter was one of the best in years for fruit trees.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa