HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 5:46 PM
Registered Offender

The ups and downs with this project are certainly unlike any other project in Austin's history. But we don't know when that Manchester email about "in the coming months" was sent to the ABJ. Since the article was about a downtown hotel conference on 08/27, it's implied that the email was sent at that time. But it may be months old and only referenced by the ABJ because it was the most recent one they have from Manchester. The info from the Genral earlier this month seems very hopeful. I'm wondering if the Genral has talked to his contractor friend in the past two days? Any updates Genral?

Last edited by Hill Country; Aug 31, 2014 at 1:42 AM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
The ups and downs with this project are certainly unlike any other project in Austin's history. But we don't don't when that Manchester email about "in the coming months" was sent to the ABJ. Since the article was about a downtown hotel conference on 08/27, it's implied that the email was sent at that time. But it may be months old and only referenced by the ABJ because it was the most recent one they have from Manchester. The info from the Genral earlier this month seems very hopeful. I'm wondering if the Genral has talked to his contractor friend in the past two days? Any updates Genral?
Yep, talked with him a few minutes ago...the retention wall is still a valid issue/delay. It is critical to the integrity of the underground parking. My buddy told me the soil all around dt Austin is perfect for supporting a building of any height, but wash out from rushing water would obviously compromise the foundation. The retaining wall would prevent this even if the tunnel inlet is not completed.
So completion of the tunnel will not dictate ground breaking. It is the completion of design work and construction of the retention walls that will allow for the big dig. As I said earlier, they won the electrical bid, but he told me they are waiting just like everyone else, but he still says its going to happen. He's not worried about it. We both agreed that if it was being built further away from the creek, it would have been under construction by now.

Last edited by the Genral; Aug 30, 2014 at 4:57 AM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 4:10 PM

Genral you are a treasure.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Yep, talked with him a few minutes ago...the retention wall is still a valid issue/delay. It is critical to the integrity of the underground parking. My buddy told me the soil all around dt Austin is perfect for supporting a building of any height, but wash out from rushing water would obviously compromise the foundation. The retaining wall would prevent this even if the tunnel inlet is not completed.
So completion of the tunnel will not dictate ground breaking. It is the completion of design work and construction of the retention walls that will allow for the big dig. As I said earlier, they won the electrical bid, but he told me they are waiting just like everyone else, but he still says its going to happen. He's not worried about it. We both agreed that if it was being built further away from the creek, it would have been under construction by now.
So what's the hold-up of constructing the retention walls? You would think they would be working on that project by now right?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
So what's the hold-up of constructing the retention walls? You would think they would be working on that project by now right?
Considering they've had the green light to do so since last October, I agree. But until my friend tells me otherwise, this project is a go. He said in the meantime, they still have some work to do on Colorado Tower and other work for some UT construction. If anything changes to the contrary, I'll hear about it, report it here, and put this baby to rest once and for all. Until then, patience.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 3:32 PM

I do not have patience for this darn tower.!.!.!.

IF anything else was going on DT I might be able to focus there.

I need the biggest and tallest now!!!!!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 6:13 PM
Registered Offender

My interest is mainly on Waller Park Place and 99 Trinity now. If this happens, great. If not, too bad but oh well.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 8:51 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

The issue of why construction hasn't started on the wall is a valid question. How difficult is it to design and build a retaining wall?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 9:16 PM
Registered Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
The issue of why construction hasn't started on the wall is a valid question. How difficult is it to design and build a retaining wall?
It's not difficult at all - unless you haven't secured financing.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Not nearly as difficult as putting up a fence and some signs.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin