HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 12:25 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcats View Post
https://phoenixmed.arizona.edu/campus

Two minute You Tube video of the Phoenix Bioscience core. Also, downtown Phoenix...and up Central.

Real clear and bright - I guess done by a Drone. Nice. Wish it had more of the view/ skyline - less of the needles and microscopes!

How difficult to have some young person take a drone and update it? This video doesn't have that new glass 30 story tower on the corner of 5th St. and Van Buren at the Arizona Center.
The video doesn't have anything new built since Link 1. I'd say it's about 4 years old considering you can see the tower crane for Kenect in a couple of shots which wasn't completed until 2021.

This seems to be a common theme for downtown Phoenix stock footage. It's hard to find any pics or videos newer than a couple of years old.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 6:37 AM

I was looking for a 2024 calendar of pictures of Phoenix and the pictures were seriously 20 years old. How can someone say, oh this calendar is perfect for 2024, let’s make 1,000s of them. Crazy, seems like a good business opportunity though,lol. Maybe for next year! Gotta be some kind of demand! I ended up settling for an Arizona Highways calendar of pictures of around Arizona…..

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
I was looking for a 2024 calendar of pictures of Phoenix and the pictures were seriously 20 years old. How can someone say, oh this calendar is perfect for 2024, let’s make 1,000s of them. Crazy, seems like a good business opportunity though,lol. Maybe for next year! Gotta be some kind of demand! I ended up settling for an Arizona Highways calendar of pictures of around Arizona…..
Because downtown has never been a point of pride for Phoenix or AZ nobody has ever cared about outdated pictures. Especially because until the last 10-15 years downtown basically remained unchanged for years and years on end.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 6:57 PM
Skyriser

Ehh... if you're building part of your reputation on a redeveloping, re-emerging, exciting area like UofA is doing downtown, I think you should be on top of how it looks to prospective partners.

It's probably an underfunded department is just doing the best they can do with royalty free videos or they already payed a drone photographer 4 years ago and it hasn't dawned on them to give them a call again.

Also, I assume the 80-year-olds that are still buying wall calendars care more about kokopelli statues and golf more than a thriving downtown. Nice to see we have representatives of the highly advanced in age in our little forum.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 3:40 PM

$300 Million!?!

https://www.pdc.arizona.edu/project/23-9658

I thought the budget was $150 million. $300 million...for this?!? Government! Do you remember years ago when they caught the Navy spending $5,000 for toilet seats?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 5:01 PM
Skyriser

Yes, government ... government, academic, and these kinds of research buildings include FF&E in their development budgets. Commercial office buildings and apartments don't.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 5:25 PM

You also have to remember the costs change depending on which phase of design you are in. Also there could be deviations and changes to the end user/ TI portions (who is occupying certain floors and their requirements) vs. the shell of the building itself (which is what I suspect the original $150 mil estimate encompassed).

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcats View Post
https://www.pdc.arizona.edu/project/23-9658

I thought the budget was $150 million. $300 million...for this?!? Government! Do you remember years ago when they caught the Navy spending $5,000 for toilet seats?
It goes with the territory. But that's the cost of doing business. Remember the 1800's full of amazing bridges, opera houses, Canals, Railroads etc etc.

A lot of stuff happened very fast and a lot of shady characters got paid off for doing it.

Its just what it is.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest