HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Tower at PNC Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Pittsburgh Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 9:33 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Big fan of Gensler's work and this one doesn't disappoint. I like the location in the skyline and the way the building sits off-square within its lot. Should be a great-looking building.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 11:47 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

A nice one. I like the idea of PNC making an investment like this in its hometown even more.

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 12:07 AM

Nice design, I like.

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 3:21 AM

PNC buying remaining sites for new headquarters

Pittsburgh Business Times - by Patty Tascarella

Date: Friday, May 27, 2011, 11:11am EDT - Last Modified: Friday, May 27, 2011, 1:10pm EDT

"PNC Financial Services Group Inc., Pittsburgh, is purchasing three buildings from the city’s Urban Redevelopment Authority for $1.1 million, confirmed Fred Solomon, PNC spokesman, and Gigi Saladna, URA chief information officer.

These properties, located on Wood Street in Downtown Pittsburgh, are the final properties PNC (NYSENC) needs to begin construction of its new headquarters building, the Tower at PNC Plaza, later this year. It previously acquired six sites, bringing the total to nine.

The purchase is expected to be formalized at the URA’s June 16th board meeting, Saladna said. The buildings are 430, 434 and 438 Wood Street.

PNC announced plans for the approximately 40-story, 800,000-square-foot green building Monday. It will be located on the corner of Fifth Avenue and Wood Street and is expected to be completed in 2015."

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 2:10 AM

PNC's plan could be harbinger of Downtown revival

By Jeremy Boren

PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, May 29, 2011
Last updated: 9:20 am

Paul O'Neill longs to see a Golden Triangle revival, and hopes adding The Tower at PNC Plaza to Pittsburgh's skyline will help.

"Think about 3,000 people in that space and the implications of that for those who choose to live Downtown and patronize the business," said O'Neill, the one-time U.S. Treasury secretary and former CEO of Alcoa. "Every investment moves us in the right direction."

PNC's announcement last week that it plans by 2015 to build the 40-story skyscraper for 3,000 employees reinforced the hope that O'Neill, Mayor Luke Ravenstahl and the tower's designers share for reinvigorating Downtown.

"In fits and starts, the city has become a remarkably better place than what it was when I came in 1987," O'Neill said.

Yet, it's not the advent of a Golden Triangle high-rise binge.

"I don't think our market is ready for high-rise speculation. The rates aren't ready for that," said Andrew Wisniewski, executive vice president of CB Richard Ellis, a Downtown real estate firm.

The 800,000-square-foot, eco-friendly tower will be a recruiting tool for the company and city, said Doug Gensler, a principal in the Boston office of Gensler, the architecture firm that designed The Tower and Three PNC.

"It's beginning to help complete the idea of a rich, thick urban center," Gensler said. "It fits with that 24-by-7 feel of Market Square, the Cultural District and the Fairmont (Hotel) at Three PNC."

Gensler's concept is to create a tower of atriums. Each would become employee meeting spaces spanning several floors, to break up 40 "horizontal slabs" that can be isolating.

PNC Chairman and CEO James E. Rohr said the company will spend $400 million to build The Tower at PNC Plaza at the corner of Wood Street and Forbes Avenue, about a block from One, Two and Three PNC Plaza.

The last high-rise opened in 2009 and was the first one built in more than 20 years, largely because it's cheaper to rent rather than build Class A office space, which has been plentiful, but is becoming scarcer.

Fewer vacancies

If PNC's skyscraper materialized today, its square footage would nearly equal the amount of Class A office space available to rent in Pittsburgh's Downtown commercial real estate market.

It's an encouraging result of steadily climbing demand, rising rental prices and leading employers such as UPMC and BNY Mellon gobbling up office space in premier buildings.

But PNC plans to occupy all of its building — except for some first-floor retail space — so, it won't add to the rental market.

Class A office space vacancy is about 7.2 percent — compared with 15.9 percent for the lower B and C classes — with 875,556 square feet available, according to real estate company Grubb & Ellis, which puts out quarterly reports on the market.

"I think it is at a historical low," said Pamela Lowery, vice president of research and marketing for Grubb & Ellis, adding that firms in need of lots of space will turn to the ample supply of Class B rather than construction because it's "too expensive" for most.

Wisniewski said rental rates would need to approach a lofty $38 a square foot to make high-rise construction more palatable. They're about $25 now.

Smaller projects of about 10 floors are feasible, he said, or higher if they include hotel and residential space over offices as is the case with Cecil-based Millcraft Industries' plans to spend $70 million to convert the 16-story former State Office Building into River Vue, a 218-unit apartment building.

Ravenstahl predicted sites the Urban Redevelopment Authority owns, scattered across the Cultural District, Grant Street and elsewhere, should be easier to sell to developers as a result of PNC's investment.

"If there was a hesitancy, or folks that weren't sure about (investing Downtown), this will eliminate all of that," Ravenstahl said at the PNC tower announcement.

The new tower is a positive sign, "but I wouldn't hang my hat on that as the renaissance," said Aaron M. Renn, a Chicago-based urban analyst and consultant.

U.S. skyscraper construction boomed in the 1980s and early '90s, he said. Downtowns in mid-sized cities became overburdened with commercial real estate.

"The future of the economy is not about a long-time Downtown bank adding a building. It's about all the new businesses there, and about who's starting tomorrow's PNC bank," he said.

Greenest of them all?

At least two skyscrapers — the 48-story Duke Energy Center in Charlotte, N.C., and the 55-story Bank of America Tower in New York City — achieved LEED platinum certification from the U.S. Green Building Council, which rates a building's energy efficiency.

PNC is seeking that same highest rating. It could succeed in building the world's most environmentally friendly building because the rating standard grows more rigorous over time and benefits go beyond lower electricity bills, said John Quale, a University of Virginia associate professor of architecture who studies green building design.

Workers in well-lit, properly ventilated and comfortable offices tend to miss fewer days, be more productive and stay with the company longer, reducing turnover, he said.

Since personnel often are a company's highest cost, savings there easily eclipse what can come from using high-efficiency LED lights or installing green rooftops to reduce heat gain.

"To set the benchmark that high is essentially saying if they don't do it, it's going to be embarrassing for them as a company, so everyone is going to focus on that goal," Quale said.

When the tower is complete, it will alter Pittsburgh's acclaimed skyline, but it is puny when compared to the truly enormous structures across the globe, said Carol Willis, curator of the Skyscraper Museum in Manhattan.

The 160-story Burj Khalifa in United Arab Emirates is the world's tallest building.

Willis said U.S. cities generally constrain building height, while governments in China, South Korea and Middle Eastern countries encourage it to spur economic growth and accommodate huge populations.

Is a 40-story office tower really a skyscraper?

"Skyscraper is the romantic term," she said. "It's all relative. Skylines and skyscrapers go together, so if it pops up in Pittsburgh's skyline it's a skyscraper."

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 2:31 AM

Wow totally missed this project. Good for the Burgh! Not surprised it's PNC behind this project. Always figured them or residential, was the only hope for anything with some height in downtown.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
I'm interested in seeing some renderings from the West End Overlook.
The PNC tower won't add much oomph to the West End Overlook view, since from that angle it lines up almost perfectly with BNY Mellon Center.

Here's a quick-and-dirty SketchUp model for viewing in Google Earth. The model is quite crude but allows one to see how the building fits into the skyline from various viewpoints.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 12:22 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzard View Post
The PNC tower won't add much oomph to the West End Overlook view, since from that angle it lines up almost perfectly with BNY Mellon Center.

Here's a quick-and-dirty SketchUp model for viewing in Google Earth. The model is quite crude but allows one to see how the building fits into the skyline from various viewpoints.

^can you post a screencap or something? I can't open that file. Thx.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride View Post
^can you post a screencap or something? I can't open that file. Thx.
No problem...

I didn't include the signature view from the Duquesne Incline, since the PNC tower from that angle is unfortunately hidden behind 1 PPG Place.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 2:10 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Thanks Fizzard. That really gives us at least a ballpark idea (quite literally, in the 3rd picture) of what to expect in terms of massing.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 10:53 PM
Unpolitically Correct

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 2:27 PM

Here are two pics from Wood St. showing a small sample of what is there currently. PNC almost bought a whole city block and is using a good portion of it, which will make the "footprint" of this new tower quite huge.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 2:35 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilamonster View Post
Here are two pics from Wood St. showing a small sample of what is there currently. PNC almost bought a whole city block and is using a good portion of it, which will make the "footprint" of this new tower quite huge.

Those are some UGLY buildings.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride View Post
Those are some UGLY buildings.
Those cheap facades are truly ugly. However, they may be covering century old buildings' original exteriors. Look at the stepped roof treatment on the check cashing place. Looks like a late 19th century roof line. Pittsburgh has lots of bland, nothing looking buildings that are actually old classics that were clad in low maintenace type exteriors during the 50's or 60's. It might be worth looking underneath if any effort is made to preserve street level facades. I personally like the juxtoposition of old against new.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilamonster View Post
Is a 40-story office tower really a skyscraper?

"Skyscraper is the romantic term," she said. "It's all relative. Skylines and skyscrapers go together, so if it pops up in Pittsburgh's skyline it's a skyscraper."
That's funny, is there a city on the planet that wouldn't consider a 40 story building a skyscraper? Maybe Dubai but they don't really count.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz Khalifa View Post
That's funny, is there a city on the planet that wouldn't consider a 40 story building a skyscraper? Maybe Dubai but they don't really count.
And in Dubai they're empty.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 10:53 PM

URA finalizes property sale for PNC office project

Thursday, June 16, 2011
By Joe Smydo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Urban Redevelopment Authority today voted to sell three Downtown parcels to PNC for a $400 million office building, a project hailed as evidence of Pittsburgh's progress in the face of national economic woes.

PNC will pay $1.1 million for three lots, the last in a series of properties it's acquired for a 40-story office tower that will incorporate the latest green building principles.

Occupying the three lots now are worn buildings that URA Executive Director Rob Stephany called some of Downtown's "biggest liabilities."

Construction is scheduled to begin next year and be completed by mid 2015. The building will occupy a block on Wood Street in the Fifth and Forbes Avenue corridor.

"I'll start the fund-raising right now for the Jim Rohr statue fund," said Yarone Zober, URA chairman and Mayor Luke Ravenstahl's chief of staff, referring to PNC's chairman and CEO.

URA officials praised PNC for investing in Pittsburgh's Third Renaissance, a spate of improvements Downtown, Uptown and the Strip District that's withstood national economic problems. In particular, they expressed thanks for the temporary and permanent jobs to be created by the project.

"This is a symbol of what Pittsburgh is and what it can be," Mr. Zober said. "This is as big a deal for Pittsburgh as I can possibly imagine."

Joe Smydo: jsmydo@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1548.

First published on June 16, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 4:25 PM

Very excited for the construction to start. I just turned 30 over the weekend and I honestly can't remember a skyscraper being built in the city. (Fifth Avenue Place was 1988, which would have made me 7 and apparently I don't recall much about it being built.) Should be a very interesting addition to the skyline from Mt Washington and the Liberty/Ft. Pitt tunnels.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 10:53 PM

I'm excited as well. We did have Three PNC completed within the last year which was being referenced as a skyscraper by the local media, but to me this will be the first skyscraper built in quite a while in the 'Burgh.
The first visual mark of progress will be when the tenants start moving out. I remember reading that when the first couple of parcels where bought, it was noted that the tenants leases were being terminated. Then in the last purchase or two, the stories were reporting that the tenants had leases running several years. Something must be already worked out with the existing tenants, as the demolition of the existing buildings has already been given a tentative start of early next year. My best guess, is that those tenants whose leases which were not terminated or simply not renewed, were bought out from PNC's very large coffers. Regardless of how it happened, I'm eager to see some moving trucks and closed signs on windows down there. I did notice last week that the Rite Aid that fronts both Fifth and Forbes was closed for good. I don't know when that happened, nor if it is even related to the future construction on that block, but it still looks like a nice baby step to me!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 5:06 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone7281 View Post
Very excited for the construction to start. I just turned 30 over the weekend and I honestly can't remember a skyscraper being built in the city. (Fifth Avenue Place was 1988, which would have made me 7 and apparently I don't recall much about it being built.) Should be a very interesting addition to the skyline from Mt Washington and the Liberty/Ft. Pitt tunnels.
I can't wait either. I will be going down there to see the progress quite often. It will definately have a sizeable impact on the skyline especially from the south. It's a very well-designed building and im very glad they are investing in the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive