HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 4:19 PM

Is this the Denver thread because I thought this was the Phoenix one? Maybe I'm lost....

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Is this the Denver thread because I thought this was the Phoenix one? Maybe I'm lost....
I agree, Denver and Phoenix are pretty different cities having lived in both. Lets keep it to Phoenix.

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
TakeFive, I think you're selling the downtown Denver office market short.
Yikes, I'm being tailed. LOL

Actually I wasn't trying to "sell" Denver or compare the two metro areas other than for the one off-hand (factual) remark. But for a quibble you forgot to mention 1401 Lawrence Street.

While the two cities/metro areas have grown up together, they each are very different physically and culturally. Pros and cons; beauty in the eye of the beholder. For example, Phoenicians don't have to contend with home prices that (now) average over $400,000. More affordable condos are plentiful and there's no impediment to new construction of condos from the more affordable to the most luxurious. Freeways mostly live up to their billing: they run freely and free; no tolling.

So which is better or more preferable? Depends on who you ask.

Ken, you're the best.

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Yeah Denver -Phoenix isn't a very good comparison

Phoenix is more like anything in Socal and Las Vegas. Culturally very separate from Denver.

Part of the reason why Tucson and Phoenix don't get along, Tucson is more like Albuquerque, Santa Fe and El Paso than it is like Phoenix.

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 7:16 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

I'm not trying to compare the two cities, I was responding to TakeFive's comment about the potential for Phoenix to get high-rise office towers Downtown. Like Denver, I think Phoenix would benefit far more from a dozen 10-story office buildings than from a few high-rises.

I miss the days when we were both part of the same sub forum!

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 7:19 PM

It's extremely important to me what's happening in Denver.

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 7:44 PM

Denver? ....now there's a new topic!

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 8:58 PM
self-important urbanista

I went to the Downtown Deli (Downtown Phoenix, not Denver) for lunch today. On the penultimate day of business, there was a line nearly out the door. A lot of people are enjoying their final pastrami on marble rye (or any other favorite item). It's lights out at 3 PM tomorrow, and I imagine the line will be even longer then.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I went to the Downtown Deli (Downtown Phoenix, not Denver) for lunch today. On the penultimate day of business, there was a line nearly out the door. A lot of people are enjoying their final pastrami on marble rye (or any other favorite item). It's lights out at 3 PM tomorrow, and I imagine the line will be even longer then.
So glad I work near Park Central Deli, my pastrami sammiches are safe, for now.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 2:45 AM
Skyriser

Guys, as a reminder, this is Phoenix Development News.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 10:04 PM

looks like Watt Communities added more land to their townhome project at 8th st and roosevelt (they just modified their fence to go all the way to the corner at 9th street).

Will be nice to have something built on that dirt lot.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 10:07 PM

I would be cool if they expanded all the way to 7th street once the new circle k is built ( i think it was part of the city's stipulations that they demo the existing circle k once they move to the new one).

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 10:10 PM

the union

drove by the union all this week and i don't think i saw the machinery move an inch. maybe they ran into an indian burial site and had to call in the archaeologist.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 10:39 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post
maybe they ran into an indian burial site and had to call in the archaeologist.
Maybe they're especially spooked about that with the Poltergeist remake in theaters. Building over a burial site was the source of all the evil in the original 1982 movie. Seriously, though, this project is moving -- but at a painfully slow pace compared to some others.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 5:21 AM
skyscrapers!

Quote:
drove by the union all this week and i don't think i saw the machinery move an inch. maybe they ran into an indian burial site and had to call in the archaeologist.
Yeah, it seems to be one big hole in the ground. Maybe they're waiting for nicer weather.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 11:56 AM

I dug a huge hole in my backyard when I was a kid, it took weeks and I was really proud of my work, and the last thing I wanted to do was fill it up. Just saying.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 6:18 PM
Modulator

Talking

Quote:
I walk by Union (and Portland) nearly daily. There is activity every single day. It's funny how everyone seems to freak out because a project doesn't get built in a week.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I dug a huge hole in my backyard when I was a kid, it took weeks and I was really proud of my work, and the last thing I wanted to do was fill it up. Just saying.
I can't tell you how much I enjoy a good hearty laugh. Thanks.

"Phoenix CEOs-turned-investors talk about building a better Valley tech culture"
May 22, 2015 by Patrick O'Grady, Phoenix Business Journal

Quote:
A larger ecosystem is about community. Because of how the Valley is laid out, Phoenix suffers from one of the worst cases of urban sprawl in the country.

The good news is the ecosystem has grown tired of this limitation... Lots of cool things happening right now, and the popcorn is starting to pop.
One of these days they need to drop the tech obsession and use a term that is more encompassing like "innovation energy hub" but I digress.

With the interesting things that are starting to percolate in downtown I just really believe there's still significant opportunity to attract creative talent to downtown. In fact, I can envision the Tempe - Phoenix light rail line becoming a corridor of "innovation energy."

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 8:46 PM

"Nike: Goodbye Arizona State University, hello Grand Canyon University"
May 27, 2015 by Angela Gonzales, Phoenix Business Journal
Quote:
Grand Canyon University signed a five-year deal with apparel and footwear giant Nike.

It is GCU's first apparel deal, and covers apparel and footwear for coaches and student athletes of all sports at the Phoenix university.
Good for GCU. Clearly a sports push has been a part of their strategy for growth and identity.

Building on my previous comment, I've noticed two separate articles for new co-working space in Denver in the last week. It just continues to multiply. Generally, adaptive reuse type buildings near downtown have been popular. More recently two new 4-story buildings have been grabbed. They're in a niche area, somewhat hard to get to that backs up to the freeway (I-25). Both buildings are across the street from each other.

Not sure there's much distinction between co-working space and incubator space. Hansji partnered with Tallwave in downtown in the Luhrs City Center while WebPT set up shop for itself and co-working space in the Warehouse District.

Either which name there are different variations on a theme but the shared, typically open space is the common denominator. The warehouse district is ideal for this sort of thing. It will be interesting to see if Phoenix doesn't see more co-working space develop going forward.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 9:34 PM

/\A co-working space called The Office Pile recently opened up next to the Sheridan Square (houses The Main Ingredient, Humble Pie Pizza, the Pie Hole, and Sutra Midtown Yoga) at 7th St and Sheridan. It's in a former 1930s Fur shop/warehouse.

Plus that place on Central and Thomas - Mod - opened not too long ago, seems like they have co-working space and a restaurant/bar. Their motto is a place for work and a place for after work.

So yeah, those type of places are becoming more prevalent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest