HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 2:26 PM

quick! someone post pictures!...

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 7:42 PM
Skyriser

The next person who refers to the previous argument in any way, shape, or form will be suspended to a length of my choosing because I *really* shouldn't have to come back and see it still smoldering and starting fires.

Knock. It. Off.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 8:23 PM

Anybody go to the Maiden show last night?!? Great as always and downtown was pretty rocking action-wise...up the irons!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 2:13 PM
Modulator

Article on Sheraton lobby renovations and I also received notice about this yesterday when I went to set up some Sheraton reservations for October. Still no word if the exterior will get any updates.

Quote:
By Brandon Brown – Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal
Sep 18, 2019, 1:50pm MST

District American Kitchen and Wine Bar, the restaurant on the ground floor of the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown hotel, is set to close on Sept. 19 as the hotel goes through a complete renovation.

The hotel’s lobby also is closing for renovations.

District American will be transformed into a Spanish-influenced restaurant concept. It is expected to open in early 2020.

Along with the new restaurant, which will have bright, colorful tiles and a Spanish-influenced menu, the downtown Sheraton will feature additional food-and-beverage options including a fresh grab-and-go market, an indoor/outdoor quick-service concept and late-night concept.

Once construction starts, Sheraton guests will be able to eat in a pop-up dining location on the hotel’s fourth floor and at the Breeze Bar by the pool. The hotel’s coffee concept, Link Cafe, will remain open during construction.

In June 2018, Marriott International Inc. (Nasdaq: MAR) purchased the downtown hotel from the city of Phoenix for $255 million. Now the company is doing $40 million worth of renovations to the property and making it the first fully on-strategy example of the new Sheraton experience.
Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...loses-for.html

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 2:31 PM
Modulator

So, O'Neil will be moving to Cotton Center Blvd after selling and closing their Downtown location:

Quote:
O'Neil Printing Announces Relocation to State-of-the-Art Headquarters

With great excitement and commitment to the future, O’Neil Printing has announced that they are relocating to a new state-of-the-art HQ, production and client services facility. O’Neil will be operating in the new corporate campus by mid-December 2019.

O'Neil Printing has been operating in downtown Phoenix for 111 years. Since 1908, O’Neil has pioneered new ways to optimize print products with new and expanding technology. O’Neil and corporate real estate advisory group (Jim Sadler, Darius Green, and Jonathan Keyser), Keyser, LLC, announced successful sale of the current campus located at 366 N. 2nd Ave in Downtown Phoenix in late August as the springboard for growth into the next century. Jim Sadler, Keyser’s Corporate Services Leader explained, “due to the company’s staff and business growth, along with its longstanding brand of excellence, O’Neil was seeking an improved HQ and client services campus. The new lease provides both room for growth and cost-effective economics. Further, we were very proud to partner with O’Neil on the sale of its current buildings and land downtown as a part of this long-term growth and expansion strategy.”

O’Neil’s work products and innovation have been nationally recognized for its quality and environmentally sustainable practices. O’Neil Printing is an employee-owned team of brand experts, problem solvers, and master technicians that provide cutting-edge, integrated solutions.

The new state-of-the-art headquarters and client services facility is located at 4303 East Cotton Center Boulevard, Phoenix. The 64,000-sq.-ft. building is located within the 280-acre master planned Cotton Center business community. Located five miles from Sky Harbor International Airport, Cotton Center is in the heart of metropolitan Phoenix. The expanded and updated facilities will allow O’Neil to continue to grow and stay at the forefront of the market. O’Neil President Anthony Narducci says, “what I love most about O’Neil is how our people serve our clients, adapt to change, support each other, and make a difference in our client relationships.Our new expanded and updated facilities will provide us with even greater opportunities to serve our customers.”

Sadler added, “The competitive site selection and location analysis work that led to selecting Phoenix is a result of a great partnership between the City of Phoenix’s Economic Development, Planning Department, and consultants to facilitate this exciting expansion and new long-term home in Cotton Center.”

“Full print production and support will continue during the transition and clients will have the same access to all of the services they’ve come to depend on from the O’Neil team. O’Neil Printing is eager to celebrate this milestone and is looking forward to making history with our clients for years to come,” Narducci concluded.
Source: https://www.piworld.com/article/onei...-headquarters/

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 8:27 PM

Neighborhood opposition over zoning increase of just 19 feet for 44|Camelback development:

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/..._news_headline

Quote:
A new mixed-use development with ties to some of the Valley business community’s biggest names faced vocal opposition Tuesday at its first public airing.

The public meeting regarding the 44|Camelback project, which is being proposed for the northwest corner of 44th Street and Camelback Road in Phoenix, drew numerous residents who told members of the Camelback East Village Planning Committee the project is too tall and would block the neighborhood’s view of Camelback Mountain.

The $300 million project is being master developed by Phoenix-based Red Development, which brought on popular restaurateur Sam Fox to develop the proposed hotel. The Phoenix Suns, the Valley's National Basketball Association team, is designing a $25 million to $50 million practice facility on the property as well.

The proposed project includes a hotel, five-story Class A office building, parking structure, another four-story office building with ground-floor retail, a self storage facility and the Phoenix Suns/Phoenix Mercury practice facility. Demolition of existing buildings has begun, and construction is expected to start soon.

To build the project as Red and Fox have proposed, the developer is asking the city to increase height restrictions to 75 feet. Current zoning allows for buildings up to 56 feet tall.

Burch & Cracchiolo attorney Ed Bull spoke on the developer’s behalf Tuesday, presenting information to show Red was only asking for two of the seven buildings to go as high as 75 feet. At the same time, Bull said 88% of the project would be lower than 36 feet.

The backlash is not against the redevelopment, but rather that upset neighbors don’t want buildings that tall in their neighborhood, said Shannon Johnson, an area homeowner and one of the leaders of the “No to 75 feet” campaign.
19. Feet. Mountain view. A "No on _____" campaign. "I don't dislike development, just tall development." Murderer's row of NIMBY buzzwords there. Crap drives me nuts.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 8:42 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Neighborhood opposition over zoning increase of just 19 feet for 44|Camelback development:

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/..._news_headline

19. Feet. Mountain view. A "No on _____" campaign. "I don't dislike development, just tall development." Murderer's row of NIMBY buzzwords there. Crap drives me nuts.
This city...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 9:44 PM

I wonder if any of those people knew what the height limit was before the adjustment was proposed.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 10:09 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I wonder if any of those people knew what the height limit was before the adjustment was proposed.
I'm guessing probably not. Also, I have driven on the roads in the adjacent neighborhood and you can barely see Camelback from most of the homes and that's just in between the gaps of trees and rooftops. The residents that are really making a thing of this are probably the ones along Medlock Dr (the angled street in the Google map below). As is, they are already unlikely to see over the existing office buildings on the proposed development property. What really disgusts me about this is the "Don't block my view" mentality of probably about 15 or so residents over a development that basically amounts to millions of dollars of development that will bring tax revenue for the city in addition to bringing life to a virtually dead office complex.

Google map of area: https://goo.gl/maps/okHygNi9mFFP813SA

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 10:21 PM

I'm sure it's more than just Medlock homeowners, it's probably anyone whose house abuts the property.

I don't know where you live but if you had a major disruptive change in your backyard I have to assume you would do whatever you can to try to slow it or stop it. I know I would. It may be in vain but at least they will have given it their best.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I don't know where you live but if you had a major disruptive change in your backyard I have to assume you would do whatever you can to try to slow it or stop it. I know I would. It may be in vain but at least they will have given it their best.
Unless it's a great project?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 10:36 PM

"great project" is subjective. I can understand how one might not view something looking over their back wall as a "great project", they view it as something that is infringing on their privacy.

I'm not agreeing with their stance but I am empathetic. Those people paid a lot of money for some privacy and peace and quiet, they have a right to have an opinion no matter how silly you, me or anyone else thinks they are being.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I'm sure it's more than just Medlock homeowners, it's probably anyone whose house abuts the property.

I have to agree if I had a 470k single family home there about to have multiple hotel windows staring into my backyard Id be a little pissed.

Goodby resell value.

Of course you did buy a house backing a commercial development in the central city so my judgement is clearly already flawed.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I have to agree if I had a 470k single family home there about to have multiple hotel windows staring into my backyard Id be a little pissed.

Goodby resell value.

Of course you did buy a house backing a commercial development in the central city so my judgement is clearly already flawed.
Your point is well made but those houses are considerably more expensive than $470K for the most part. A friend bought one on 42nd Place back in 2015 for a little under $900K and even at that price it was in need of a remodel. MLS shows three recent sales within a block - $735K, $970K and $729K and two of them aren't beautiful.

Edit: here's one of the ones backing the proposed project, check out the body of the listing "If you are looking to be in the heart of Arcadia with views of Camelback Mountain from your back yard, 15 min from the airport, and located between Fashion Square and the Biltmore, this is the home for you." I imagine that's exactly why the home was purchased, to take advantage of the views. https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Phoenix/41.../home/27220455

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Your point is well made but those houses are considerably more expensive than $470K for the most part. A friend bought one on 42nd Place back in 2015 for a little under $900K and even at that price it was in need of a remodel. MLS shows three recent sales within a block - $735K, $970K and $729K and two of them aren't beautiful.

Edit: here's one of the ones backing the proposed project, check out the body of the listing "If you are looking to be in the heart of Arcadia with views of Camelback Mountain from your back yard, 15 min from the airport, and located between Fashion Square and the Biltmore, this is the home for you." I imagine that's exactly why the home was purchased, to take advantage of the views. https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Phoenix/41.../home/27220455
All fair points. Wouldn't be surprised if that buyer is one of the people opposing the zoning change. Then again, from what I can tell, I'm not sure from the site plan in the article that the proposed hotel would even obscure the view from that house.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 10:56 PM
Modulator

Quote:
All fair points. Wouldn't be surprised if that buyer is one of the people opposing the zoning change. Then again, from what I can tell, I'm not sure from the site plan in the article that the proposed hotel would even obscure the view from that house.
It most likely wouldn't. I believe the hotel is on the corner of 44th/Camelback, correct? That would place the view of Camelback to the North side of the hotel from nearly any house.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:

[url]https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2019/09/18/critics-question-height-proposed-for-sam-fox-hotel.html?iana=hpmvp_phx_news_headline[url]

The thing is, that area is wealthy enough to get its way. Either the project gets cancelled or scaled way back.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
The thing is, that area is wealthy enough to get its way. Either the project gets cancelled or scaled way back.
Sarver, Sam Fox and RED are quite a bit wealthier. I get the height complaint, but these people bought a home that borders commercial and this is about as good of a project as they could hope for - it'll add value to their home just by being in close proximity to it.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 12:09 AM

Here's a short video of the Arrive Hotel Redaptive Reuse project at 4th Ave & Camelback. Looks like the video is from May. It's a lot farther along now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8v8wUYJvFY

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 5:46 PM

So there are poor guys and a tractor in the rain digging around in that fenced off lot off Thomas behind the Toll Brothers location.

I dont know what they are digging for but they are digging, did we somehow miss a small apartment project or something in this location?

Also locked article from PHX bizz on Creighton, nothing new just some details about the expected enrollment and faculty size.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...s-midtown.html

Quote:
Now that Creighton University is moving dirt on its $100 million medical school at Park Central Mall in midtown Phoenix, other pieces of the development are falling into place.

The new campus will make Nebraska-based Creighton the largest Catholic medical school in the nation, said Sharon Harper, CEO of Peoria-based real estate firm Plaza Cos.

Plaza Cos. is working with Tucson-based Holualoa Cos. to redevelop Park Central Mall into office and retail space on a campus that will include the medical school and a 278-unit apartment community.

Harper said she is in escrow to sell 1.6 acres to Houston-based The Dinerstein Cos., which will build a nine-story, $45.6 million apartment community on the site. The apartment project architect is Cunningham Group.

Dinerstein, which built Sterling 920 Terrace as student housing near Arizona State University's Tempe campus in 2018, recently sold that property for $115 million, according to Vizzda LLC, a Tempe-based real estate database.

While construction on the medical school started in early July, a construction celebration and ceremonial groundbreaking is being held Sept. 25 at Park Central, Harper said.

"Everything is going great," she said. "At the same time, we have the big parking deck under construction, restaurants are open and companies are moving into Park Central. It's a whirlwind over there. It's been exciting to see how that can all happen."

The first phase of Creighton University's new medical campus will include 180,000 square feet. Okland Construction is the general contractor for the first phase, Butler Design Group will serve as architect and RDG Planning & Design as the conceptual and tenant design and improvement architect.

A second building, a mirror image of the first under construction, will be built later as the school grows.

While this will be the first time Creighton University builds a satellite medical campus, the Jesuit Catholic university is no stranger to Phoenix. In 2005, Creighton began a partnership with St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center — a Catholic hospital at the time — for summer clinical engagements.

That relationship intensified by 2012 with Creighton sending 42 third- and fourth-year medical students to St. Joseph's for clinical rotations, said Rev. Daniel Hendrickson, president of Creighton University.

By 2016, Creighton signed an affiliation agreement with Valleywise Health (formerly Maricopa Integrated Health System) and San Francisco-based Dignity Health, which owns St. Joseph's. That relationship solidified further when the three organizations created the Creighton University-Arizona Health Education Alliance to oversee graduate medical education programs for MIHS and St. Joseph's, as well as the program for District Medical Group, the physician partnership that works at Valleywise Health.

It's rare for a medical school to open a second campus in another state, Hendrickson said. The closest example is Tucson-based University of Arizona, which operates a medical school on the Phoenix Biomedical Campus in downtown Phoenix.

"This is a pretty rare situation to have the ability to expand like this, he said.

When Creighton opens its medical school in 2021, the first class will start with 100 students and increase to 120 students per class after that, said Dr. Robert Dunlay, dean of medicine for Creighton's medical school.

By 2024, Creighton's Phoenix medical campus will have 886 total students. Of those, 480 will be medical students, with 96 nursing students, 80 pharmacy students, 90 occupational therapy students, 120 physical therapy students, 20 physicians assistant students and 300 residents in 22 residency and fellowship programs. It will have more than 500 faculty on site by then, Dunlay said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest