HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
It says "United States Post Office".

This font is still in use on the post office Terminal Annex building next to Union Station:
https://goo.gl/maps/5KPofUGo54B2
There are some wonderful Hugo Ballin murals in the Burbank Post Office.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
oldstuff, so you're talking about this little building? (see below / above the red arrow)

1945 slide/ detail

If so, that's pretty cool. (I hadn't noticed it earlier)

__
Yes. That's the one. My mother told a story about one of Mr. White's family members sitting outside with a .22 and shooting gophers in the vacant lot where Petco now is. Sort of like a lethal "whack a mole""

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 2:36 PM
BANNED

Time for dinner on Catalina Island.

https://78.media.tumblr.com/

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Mar 29, 2018 at 8:19 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 2:42 PM

Quote:
"Francisco Lopez pulled wild onions near an oak tree on his Placerita Canyon Ranch and found gold nuggets caught in their roots."

lol, no doubt odinthor. I'd return from the trip with a trunk full of wild onions!

Here's an interesting bit of ephemera:

Walker's Camp was using the 1842 gold find as a marketing tool in the 1930s.

FRONT AND BACK ONLY

SCVHISTORY

and this.....(about the brochure)

"In a promotional brochure published by 1930s Placerita landowner Frank Walker:
"The first anniversary [in 1843] of this gold discovery was celebrated by the erection of a chapel on the site of the discovery
and the chanting of a solemn high mass by three priests, two from San Fernando and one from Los Angeles,
six altar boys, the entire Mission choir, consisting of twenty neophytes and eight musicians.
Many prominent families of Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, San Buena Ventura and the surrounding country
and the Commissioners sent by Mexico to investigate the truth or falsity of the discovery, were present,
— a date in the history of our State was solemnized, which was to be forever after forgotten."

That's a surprise! I wonder what happened to the chapel?

_

excerpt HERE
If it was actually next to the oak or in the immediate vicinity. it probably washed away since the oak is in the creek bed.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 4:30 PM

Hey noirishers...

I wrote this almost three years ago. NoirCityDame answered it with a couple segments from the L.A. Times, I wondered if anyone with access to the LAT info could re-create the article posts? (I don't know if that's time consuming or possible, but if so, many thanks if you can.) Unfortunately, the photo that accompanied the post was from eBay. I still think there must be photos somewhere of this event that no one has discovered yet. It was a pretty big deal, I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Speaking of Union Station, a couple months ago when I was looking up information about the First Interstate Bank building fire in 1988, I found this LINK which had this intriguing item:

"A Yuletide Disaster at Union Station" -- The fire that took place at Union Station on December 12, 1942, may not have caused the same sort of damage the First Interstate blaze did, but it must have put a damper on Downtown's Christmas spirits. 7000 bags of mail -- more than 35 tons - went up in smoke that day when a carelessly tossed cigarette set fire to a canvas tent under which they were being stored. Both incoming and outgoing mail was included. Sleds, dolls, baby buggies, boxes of candy, clothing and jewelry were found when fire crews sorted through the packages looking for any lingering embers.

I haven't had any luck finding anything else about this occurrence (especially photos) which must have been covered in the newspapers. I had never heard about a fire at Union Station before, has anyone else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post
The fire in 1942. I did find a report of it in the LA Times, 12-13-42. It didn't take long to finger the suspect for it- Jimmy Jordan, age 16. Poor Jimmy- I hope the FBI wasn't too hard on him.
LAT 12-14-42

This was the only picture I came across, via eBay. Not the greatest and has the dreaded watermark.
ebay

P.S.: So many things I seem to ever search for again bring up posts from NoirCityDame. Thumbs up to her. Thumbs down to Photobucket. Or maybe a middle finger.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks BillinGlendale for figuring out the location of the mystery slide(s), and to Flyingwedge for the follow-up. (but I'm still looking for that school you mentioned)
After Bill ID'd the location, I went searching for landmarks and then found John Marshall HS (in the red box):

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
After Bill ID'd the location, I went searching for landmarks and then found John Marshall HS (in the red box):

Wow! I'm impressed! I couldn't find JMHS in that photo...and it's my alma mater to boot!

AndyS

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
It says "United States Post Office".
DOH!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 14, 2018 at 3:03 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 1:21 AM

Aunt Bea Coutour Line, Spring Collection

"Gertie and Aunt Molly go to the Hollywood Bowl."

EBAY

It appears Gertie & Molly came directly from Tom Breneman's Breakfast in Hollywood.

Breakfast in Hollywood

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 14, 2018 at 3:08 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 1:29 AM

http://imageshack.us/a/img542/2967/aabft1947.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
This picture was taken from the roof of California Hospital looking more or less northwest.... Howard Buick was on Figueroa about where the Convention Center is now. The jog is at the intersection of Venice & Hope. The car dealer--once Dodge, by 1947 apparently Oldsmobile--is now Honda of Downtown Los Angeles at Venice and Figueroa; across Venice from it is a low-slung Toyota dealer where the pedimented building now stands. The old building does look like it could have been a market at one time; the car dealer at 1600 S Figueroa (seen in the picture below, selling Flints) is now part of the Toyota dealer; it looks like the dealership was extended back across S Lebanon St to replace the old building.... Check out the aerial view below...

USCDL
Looking north on Figueroa across Venice... the Flint dealer building at right still stands under the Toyota
"improvements." It should be uncovered...

As noted the structure currently occupied by a Honda dealer was clearly a "Dodge Bros." dealership in October 1925. Dodge Bros. was acquired by Chrysler three years later, in 1928.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...oll65/id/24349

A (relatively) recent NLA post concerned Los Angeles' "pioneering" of environmentally friendly light colored road pavement. LA was apparently in the vanguard of rubberized asphalt too. Some sources, e.g., Wiki, claim Phoenix pioneered the elasticized pavement in "the '60s."https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubberized_asphalt
However, the road at or near the Venice-Figueroa intersection was reportedly "rubberized" in 1952. (Although the Dutch apparently pushed the rubberized envelope fifteen years earlier than LA . . . or Phoenix.) A primary benefit is said to have been reduced road noise. Wonder if cars sold and serviced nearby had a certain bounciness? Or perhaps, this translated to the nearby Staples Center and the basketballs dribbled there? Could this somehow led to Fred MacMurray's advent of flubber?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...3_-_Poster.png

Quote:
The city of Los Angeles became the first city on the west coast to use natural rubber roads when a Bureau of Street Maintenance crew started putting down a stretch of this type highway at the corner of Figueroa Street and Venice Boulevard. -- This particular road laying is attacting nation-wide attention in that it is being done in conjunction with the 58th Annual Public Works Congress being held in Los Angeles this week. -- Actually the visiting officials from all parts of the country, who are watching the operation with keen interest, will not see anything very different than the laying of an average road. The same equipment and techniques are used as though it were a road without rubber. The difference is in the performance. According to Mr. Harry K. Fisher, engineer from the Natural Rubber Bureau, Washington D.C. who acted as consultant to the City of Los Angeles in today's project, rubber roads give every indication of lasting longer with less repair. -- Mr. Fisher pointed out, 'The natural rubber particles used in the Los Angeles strip of rubber road are the same type as those used in a Dutch road just outside of Amsterdam that has now been down for about 15 years with no repairs whatsoever.'

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...oll44/id/90258

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...oll44/id/90286

Last edited by Godzilla; Mar 14, 2018 at 4:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 2:30 AM

1926 - looking north on Hoover from Venice Blvd, showing LA Gas Co construction. To the right is what appears to be Triangle Grocery at 1369 Venice Blvd. There is a grocery at that location today. Elena's?

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...coll59/id/1100

Hard to ignore the impressive dome/cupola.

dangerous gas, dangerous trenches or dangerous workers?

Acme semaphore traffic signal. One bell per signal or per intersection? http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=27121

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooF9il6DZ-w

Last edited by Godzilla; Mar 14, 2018 at 3:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 2:43 AM

I still can't get over this photograph of Scott Charles' grandmother Elva. (with Teddy)

SCOTT CHARLES FAMILY COLLECTION

And as Scott said, Teddy (the dog) was quite famous back in the day.

The publicity shot shown below is from the 1919 comedy short Hearts and Flowers.
It turns up often on the internet but the various bathing beauties are usually left unnamed.

After various googles I found a source that says your lovely grandmother Elva is second from the left.

SILENT-OLOGY

"Mack Sennett bathing beauties ~ Left to Right: Unknown, possibly Thelma Bates, Elva Diltz, Virginia Fox,
Phyllis Haver, girl behind Phyllis is unidentified, Sybil Seely, Marion Aye next to Phyllis, & Unknown"

Oh, and here is the beach scene from Hearts and Flowers. It's a bit difficult to spot Elva (I looked for her distinctive hat)

Video Link

__

I'm curious Scott, have you ever heard of your grandmother directing a film?
because in this movieland directory
she's listed as a director )

MOVIELAND DIRECTORY

And maybe you knew this already, but the house Elva lived in in 1920 is still standing....and looking rather mysterious. (then again everything looks mysterious to me )

GSV

Behind the trees on the right; is a little real estate office that was tacked onto the side of the house and extends to the street.

I read that your grandmother was a Sennett bathing beauty for two years (1919-1920), and that she appeared in nine films.

Is that about right?

p.s. If anyone would like to watch Hearts and Flowers in it's entirety....go HERE

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 15, 2018 at 4:02 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 3:18 AM

I'm not divvying up these 1945 slides by piecemeal on purpose. I keep discovering more and more.

Here is a fantastic night-time view of Vine Street looking south toward Hollywood & Vine.

"Original Slide, 1945 Hollywood CA Street Scene, Plaza Hotel "Blackouts of 1943"

EBAY

embitt scan.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 15, 2018 at 4:05 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 3:42 AM

Quote:

Oh, and here is the beach scene from Hearts and Flowers. It's a bit difficult to spot Elva (I looked for her distinctive hat)

Video Link

At the back about the :20 second mark looks the best match for Elva and the hat.

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Jun 28, 2018 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Replacement image host

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 4:06 AM

Quote:
I'm curious Scott, have you ever heard of your grandmother directing a film?
because in this movieland directory
she's listed as a director )

MOVIELAND DIRECTORY
Hey, ER, thanks so much for making this post!

I've never heard of Elva being a director before. If I had to guess, I would say that entry is incorrect, due simply to the fact that female directors in Hollywood were as rare as hens teeth at the time. Mabel Normand was a female director who came out of the Sennett studios, but she was also a very big star at the time, not a bit player like my grandmother.

Quote:
I read that your grandmother was a Sennett bathing beauty for two years (1919-1920), and that she appeared in nine films.

Is that about right?
Elva was in a Ben Turpin film in 1921, so we can certainly expand that range to 1919-1921.

Unfortunately, most movie history resources (like IMDB) are vastly incomplete when it comes to the silent era. For example, my grandfather Charlie directed countless silent movies, but IMDB has him listed as working on exactly two movies during all of the 1920s. That's a pretty easy workload for an entire decade! And this was in a time when movies were routinely shot in under a week!

Grandpa Charlie was primarily a Sennett director, yet IMDB lists not a single Sennett credit on his resume. He also shot a number of features for Hal Roach, none of which are mentioned on his IMDB page.

As the records for my grandfather's movies are so utterly incomplete, I have no reason not to suspect that Elva's credits are also just as incomplete. As 90% of the movies made during the silent era have been forever lost, it is reasonable to assume that a similar percentage applies to the careers of my grandparents; I once consulted with silent film historian F. Gwynplaine MacIntyre, and he told me this:

Quote:
Elva Diltz worked for Mack Sennett circa 1920. This is the worst possible time for her to have worked for Sennett.

By 1919, Keystone was gone and Sennett had become an independent producer, releasing his films through the Educational Pictures company owned by Al Christie. Sadly, Christie never bothered to take care of his films, and many of them were lost in warehouse fires or general neglect. We have many films from Sennett's Keystone period and Keystone-Triangle period, but very few surviving examples from Sennett's Christie period (the time when Elva Diltz worked for Sennett).
Quote:
And maybe you knew this already, but the house Elva was living in in 1920 is still standing! It looks rather mysterious. (then again, everything looks mysterious to me )

GSV
WOW! Thanks so much for this, ER! I never knew that before.

Things like this utterly fascinate me; I'll be sure to drive by and check it out as soon as I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
At the back about the :20 second mark looks the best match for Elva and the hat.

Hi, Noir_Noir!

Elva is actually the third from the left in the group photo. Her face is largely obscured in the video screenshot:

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post

Hi, Noir_Noir!

Elva is actually the third from the left in the group photo. Her face is largely obscured in the video screenshot:

Hi there Scott. Apologies, I misread the caption on the publicity picture. So Sporty Elva. If it is her in the hat with the little bobble on top throughout, she gets in a good restart kick and does a fine lift.

Or am I wrong again?

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Jun 28, 2018 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Replacement image host

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 10:33 AM

Mack Sennett, Hearts and Flowers, 1919

(No, you are correct, Noir_Noir - you've got a sharp eye!)

Since we've been discussing the 1919 Mack Sennett feature, Hearts and Flowers, I may as well continue!

One of the most famous Bathing Beauties, Phyllis Haver, is the girl in front; the green arrow points at my grandma Elva.

Elva encircled, the only Beauty who dives, and way ahead of the pack, chasing the girl with the ball:

Elva was quite an athlete, particularly as a swimmer and diver. Her unfulfilled dream was to compete in the Olympics - she was apparently that good.

At one point while still living in Colorado, Elva jumped into a lake and saved a drowning boy. My family always said that the story made the papers, but I'm not sure which one... does anyone know how I might find a copy of this article? Of course, she would have still been Elva Taylor at the time, which would be sometime between her birth (10-13-1901) and before she landed in Hollywood (some time before 1919).

Elva on the left, in front of Haystack Rock:

The extant Haystack Rock on the right, the long-gone Castle Rock in the middle:
USC

Charlie Chaplin at Haystack Rock:
LINK
Haystack Rock on Google Street View

As the story goes, Elva actually got her start in the movies because of her diving ability. Her sister Olive (who was D.W. Griffith's secretary) asked Elva if she wanted to go see a movie being filmed. Elva said yes, so the two of them drove down to the beach.

Some kind of seafaring movie was being shot. The director wanted a girl to jump from the crow's nest of a ship and land in the water. Unfortunately, the sea was rough, making the jump dangerous - if you didn't time your jump perfectly, you would crash into the deck of the ship. Understandably, all of the female actors refused to do it, and the production was stalled. This next image shows how the scene was described to me:

Elva, who by all accounts was quite fearless, marched over to the director and said "Let ME do it! I can do it easy!"

Elva made the jump, the director got his shot, and the rest, as they say, is history. I'd give my right leg to actually see this movie - or to even know its name!

Later there was a scene where the crew abandons ship. There was supposed to have been a rip current, and two male stuntmen drowned. But Elva, with all of her swimming training, survived.

The final Bathing Beauties shot from Hearts and Flowers, on the south side of the Playa Del Rey Pavilion:

Playa Del Rey Pavilion, ca.1908, USC

Boardwalk in front of Playa Del Rey Pavilion, Del Rey Hotel in the background, right (USC):

What remains of the Playa Del Rey lagoon, current day, on Google Maps.

Last edited by Scott Charles; Mar 14, 2018 at 10:49 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 3:14 PM

Quote:
& here's a second Burbank slide for tonight. (also dated 1945)

EBAY

"Original Slide, Burbank CA Street Scene & Post Office, c. 1945"

I like the florid script used for the post office sign. It seems unusual for a government bldg. (hmm..but it doesn't appear to be spelling out "Burbank Post Office"

So is this nice looking post office still in use?

__
We are proud of our beautiful post office, which is very much in use, although not currently Burbank's main post office. That designation was moved to the post office on Hollywood Way, not beautiful and not historic, but bigger and closer to the airport. The old post office on Olive is on the National Register of Historic places. If you look at the current pictures of the front, there is a rectangular plaque on the post to the right which is the National Register plaque.

Last edited by oldstuff; Mar 14, 2018 at 3:25 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
1926 - looking north on Hoover from Venice Blvd, showing LA Gas Co construction. To the right is what appears to be Triangle Grocery at 1369 Venice Blvd. There is a grocery at that location today. Elena's?

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...coll59/id/1100

Hard to ignore the impressive dome/cupola.

The house with the dome is still there on Hoover St !! It is located at 1515 Hoover and the county assessor has it listed with an initial build date of 1901. 1515 is listed as a single residence.

There is another one with a dome, two houses down, but that one has a boxy "new" ugliness tacked on the front. The original house, part of which can be seen from the street via googlemobile, has a ground floor curved roof and window on the uphill side, which was probably a dining room in the original house, and the edges of the dome can also be seen on the lower side. This one was built after the upper one at 1515 in 1906. (keeping up with the Joneses?)

The house below that one, next to the cleaners building in the 1920's street repair picture is also still there, but covered by a square "New" front, containing more apartments no doubt. A peek of that one can also be seen from the street, down the upper side. Buried but not dead! The whole neighborhood is studded with hidden jems.

Last edited by oldstuff; Mar 14, 2018 at 4:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 5:54 PM

Thanks for the followup OS. The cubist structure at 1519 Hoover Street - to the left of the 1515 Hoover Street -victorian, is or was a church.

You are right about the gems. Worth noting (or re-noting) is the Alvarado Terrance Historical District. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvara...toric_District

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=6317
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=6353

Last edited by Godzilla; Mar 15, 2018 at 1:14 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos