HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
William Eythe at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/276104...in/dateposted/

Richard at flickr wrote:

"This is a really interesting photo of the Opening Night at the old Beverly Wilshire Hotel's luxurious new restaurant / drugstore, called Milton F. Kreiss. (We always called it just plain "MFK"). I believe that's the owner / operator at left. The memories that come-back of the times we hung-out there as kids! All we kids from Beverly Hills High would go there on the weekends, and you saw EVERYBODY from Warren Beatty to Woody Allen to "Swifty" Lazzar in there -- but I never saw William Eythe! This is from the mid-40's -- and Bill is just the shining image of "celebrity" here, isn't he? The lady with Bill is unknown -- but would it be safe to say she's a bit "Theatrical"?

I have no idea who that woman is either.
I think it's possible that is Elsa Schiaparelli. She was definitely "theatrical." The hairline and mole on the chin seem to match 40's pictures of her.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
I think it's possible that is Elsa Schiaparelli. She was definitely "theatrical." The hairline and mole on the chin seem to match 40's pictures of her.

Cheers,

Earl
Yes, I believe the measuring ribbon around the miniature dressmaker's dummy says Schiaparelli on it.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

-------------

We're only going back 31 years for today's Julius Shulman post. This is "Job 6315: Patriotic Hall, 1985".

The set includes these two interior pictures.

GSV
Could that be General Patton back there in the case at the end of the hall?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 11:31 PM

Whoever he was, he's missing now.

http://www.iamnotastalker.com/2015/0...om-flashdance/

Gone
___

Here's something I didn't know.

The audition scene in Flashdance was filmed in the Nimitz Room at Patriotic Hall.

If I remember correctly, the movie was set in Pittsburgh.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 15, 2016 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Aimee as a Dutch girl.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30148022

Like I said..........

__
Sister Aimee was a kick & brought a lot of comfort to people who needed it. Perhaps she wore this lovely outfit for an evening of "Dutch Treat" with her gentleman friend at that infamous Carmel "Love Nest?"

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 12:28 AM

Eastside Lumber - 4430 Whittier Blvd.
Hotel De Remee - 4427 1/2 and 4429 Whittier Blvd.

1927 - Whittier Blvd. looking east from Pasadena Avenue (State Rt. 2?)http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...9coll59/id/998

and in 1925 at Whittier Blvd. and Mcbride Ave. http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...oll170/id/5340

1934- West Whittier Blvd. and California Ave., Montebello http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...ll170/id/42081

[Market] tower location?

(Coincidence or could this be a tepid homage to the former tower - at 2051 Whittier Blvd .)

1931 - Montebello City Limits (West Whittier Blvd. and South Vail Ave.) http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...ll170/id/27609

Glimpse of tower.

Whittier and Concourse

Last edited by BifRayRock; Jul 16, 2016 at 3:31 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 2:30 AM

Montebello, 1934.

Originally posted by BifRayRock

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...ll170/id/42081

A closer look at the Currie's.

detail

Here's the same shop 12 years later, in 1946.

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/D...Search&index=w

......a look inside, also 1946.

http://jpg1.lapl.org/00088/00088396.jpg Currie's Ice Cream Shop, Montebello CA 1946

I don't think I've ever seen a juke box in the middle of a room before.

http://jpg1.lapl.org/00088/00088410.jpg Currie's Ice Cream Shop, Montebello CA 1946

sluuuurp!

but I couldn't locate the 'mystery' market tower.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 17, 2016 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 4:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Montebello, 1934.

Here's the same shop 12 years later, in 1946.

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/D...Search&index=w

__
To make those tall 'Skyscraper" ..."Mile High" cones you had to use a special scoop. Here's one and its like the one my mom had.

In Southern California, people still fondly remember the Currie’s chain and its “mile-high cone” whose replica was often displayed billboard-style on roofs. The chain was started in 1927 by three brothers named Kuhns. After WWII they sold it to the Good Humor company who later sold it to Lipton in the 1960s. In 1964 the chain opened its 87th store, in North Hollywood. Although Currie’s anticipated launching units in every community in Southern California, only three outlets were listed in the 1967 Los Angeles phone book and the chain had disappeared by the 1980s.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jul 16, 2016 at 5:02 AM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post

Cheers,

Earl
Earl, I'm sorry, but no way is that Elsa Schiaparelli. You may have been looking at pictures of high-fashion models wearing her creations. The superb Italian designer was actually rather homely & mousey-looking - her heyday was the 1930's and 40's - and the woman in this photo - which looks to be from the 50's or POSSIBLY late 40's - is a young beauty; looks like a model, actress, starlet, or flamboyant Beverly Hills housewife. I think of the Milton F. Kreis drugstores/coffee shops as being popular in the 50's and 60's. Wish I recognized her. She resembles Ann Miller a bit, but of course isn't.

Last edited by JeffDiego; Jul 16, 2016 at 4:53 AM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 4:37 AM

Smile

google_aerial

I'm unsure what railway this would have been.

__[/QUOTE]

I can take a hint.

It was the Union Pacific's Anaheim branch. More history here:

http://www.abandonedrails.com/Anaheim_Branch

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
Earl, I'm sorry, but no way is that Elsa Schiaparelli. You may have been looking at pictures of high-fashion models wearing her creations. The superb Italian designer was actually rather homely & mousey-looking - her heyday was the 1930's and 40's - and the woman in this photo - which looks to be from the 50's or POSSIBLY late 40's - is a young beauty; looks like a model, actress, starlet, or flamboyant Beverly Hills housewife. I think of the Milton F. Kreis drugstores/coffee shops as being popular in the 50's and 60's. Wish I recognized her. She resembles Ann Miller a bit, but of course isn't.
OK, thanks.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 7:12 PM

Here's an interesting building which was photographed by Julius Shulman in 1960. The left of the sign says Harris Intertype Corporation. This is "Job 2972: Lithoplate, Inc. Building (Covina, Calif.), 1960".

Getty Research Institute

After a bit of searching, I found that the address was 1449 Industrial Park Street, Covina. The building is on a curve, and the Googlemobile has only been past twice (2007 and 2011), so I couldn't duplicate the angle above. As far as I can see, very little has changed - even the window covers are still there, although I've just noticed that the vertical lines between sections have gone. This 2011 image shows Royal Custom Designs Inc in the building, but Google says the business is now permanently closed.

GSV

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

[Market] tower location?
1929 - Corner of W Whittier Boulevard and N Park Avenue.

"Tower Drive-In Market in Montebello, a grocery store and bakery, illustrates the change toward auto-oriented shopping centers. The store was set back behind the parking lot, with easy street access".

LAPL

The building now bears the name Montebello Plaza. Looking at the alterations, I can see why they no longer call it the Tower Drive-In Market!

GSV

Last edited by HossC; Jul 16, 2016 at 9:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 9:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
1929 - Corner of W Whittier Boulevard and N Park Avenue.

"Tower Drive-In Market in Montebello, a grocery store and bakery, illustrates the change toward auto-oriented shopping centers. The store was set back behind the parking lot, with easy street access".

The building now bears the name Montebello Plaza. Looking at the alterations, I can see why no longer call it the Tower Drive-In Market!

GSV
Thanks HossC.....they've done a fairly good job of giving that old building
some new life.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
The ice cream chain was started in 1927 by three brothers named Kuhns.
So...they were the Ice Cream Kuhns.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 6:18 AM

I really enjoy browsing this particular thread. What better time and place to exist than the Los Angeles of the 30s, 40s, & 50s?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
Could that be General Patton back there in the case at the end of the hall?
If it's Patton, then that long object next to him is probably a saber. As a young officer, Patton designed the last saber to be adopted by the U.S. cavalry.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts View Post
If it's Patton, then that long object next to him is probably a saber. As a young officer, Patton designed the last saber to be adopted by the U.S. cavalry.
Bang on:

San Gabriel boy. In contrast to George C. Scott's portrayal, he had a high, squeaky voice. The very few recordings of him sound like a blood and guts exhortation delivered by Truman Capote. Actually scarier than Scott's macho growl.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Riders enjoying a Sunday afternoon jaunt in Griffith Park: (1st row l-r): Lucille Meeker (on a Triumph), Betty Drafton (on a Velocette) and Cecilia Adams (on a custom-made bike); (2nd row l-r): Frank Cooper, Chuck Parkyns, Dr. William Eschrich and Frank Erling (unsure of spelling of last name).
1949 - Griffith Park
Life

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 9:32 PM

More Academy Theatre

Quote:
As promised, here are some more Julius Shulman pictures of the Academy Theatre in Inglewood. The job description gives the address as 3100 West Manchester Boulevard, but it's actually 3141 West Manchester Boulevard. You can read more about the theater at cinematreasures.org. This is "Job 5905: Academy Theatre (Inglewood, Calif.), 1940". NB. This is just a selection of images from the photoset, but I don't think I've missed anything significant.

All from Getty Research Institute
Thanks for yet another fine Schulman post, Hoss. I found some more Academy Theatre images (all dated 1939) at UCLA.

Floorplan:

Lobby door detail:

This is an interesting alternate version of the tower:

Even though this is labeled the foyer, I initially misread the plans and thought this was the lobby.
But, as you will see a few posts down, UphillDonkey caught my error. Thanks, UD!:

Auditorium entrance:

This is a closer view of the etched glass panel in the previous photo; the large figure is holding an Oscar:

The credits on the lower right of the etched glass panel (just barely visible on the Auditorium Entrance photo):

Architect - S. Charles Lee
Mural Artist - Millard Sheets
Glass Sculpture - Carvarts, Inc.

Thanks also for showing the projection booth. When I was a little kid my grandfather was the projectionist at the
Gordon Theatre on La Brea Avenue (now the Regent Showcase), and I remember being in the booth a few times. He
worked a day job before going to the theater at night, and he used to sleep once the movie started. But there was
something in the projector that clicked or made some noise near the end of a reel that always woke him up in time
to start the next reel.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Jul 18, 2016 at 2:59 AM. Reason: note dumb mistake

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos