HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^From what I know of FotP membership, they're very little suburbanites. But they are mostly lakefront residents, to be sure.

Their lodestar principle is for citizens to have some voice in how Chicago parks and forest preserves are run.
Ironic considering this principle is from a group that could care less about the voice of the majority of Chicagoans that wanted a museum to replace a parking lot. Fotpl can shove it.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Then why did Bob O'Neill (head of both Grant Park Advisory Council and Grant Park Conservancy) testify before Plan Commission that the giveaway of LaSalle Park to the British School was perfectly fine, because South Loop residents could use Grant Park?

Would you say the same thing of Central Park? That it's perfectly fine for a private company to fence it off for a week, close the transverse drives, and tell everyone on the Upper East and West Sides that they should just stay indoors with the windows closed, because the park was already there when they moved in?
Lol so much wrong with this statement. Is Bob O'Neil some sort of deity of park use? Also who here is actually advocating that the stupid decision to fork over the British School Park was ok or a good idea? Also who said South Loop residents can't use Grant Park? Hell, even during Lolla Grant Park it still open West of the tracks. There are also plenty of other large tracts of park that remain unaffected by Lolla like Northerly Island or the various other pocket parks inland. This is not an area without access to green space.

In regards Central Park, what does that have to do with any of this. That's virtually the only green space in all of Manhattan. Even if that were a remotely relevant example, all of the areas adjacent to Central Park have had large residential populations since they were first developed. The Loop hasn't, Grant Park has always served a role as a public square or "front yard" for the entire city, not just for people who recently moved to nearby neighborhoods.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 8:41 PM
The City

Not only that, but Central Park often does hold large concerts

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 9:51 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Then why did Bob O'Neill (head of both Grant Park Advisory Council and Grant Park Conservancy) testify before Plan Commission that the giveaway of LaSalle Park to the British School was perfectly fine, because South Loop residents could use Grant Park?

Would you say the same thing of Central Park? That it's perfectly fine for a private company to fence it off for a week, close the transverse drives, and tell everyone on the Upper East and West Sides that they should just stay indoors with the windows closed, because the park was already there when they moved in?
That's apples to oranges. Central Park was always intended as a romantic, peaceful escape from the city. Grant Park was an enormous parade ground that has hosted massive special events since it was built.

To me, there is immense value in a huge event that draws the cultural elite to Chicago. Lolla isn't my cup of tea personally but it is our Coachella, our Fashion Week, our Art Basel and our Cannes. No other regularly-scheduled event does as much to put Chicago on the map as Lolla does.

It's not just the festival itself, either. Record labels, blogs, magazines, and other organizations throw a whole constellation of Lolla-adjacent events as well, many of which draw visitors outside of downtown to neighborhood events, eat at neighborhood restaurants and shop at neighborhood stores.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Not only that, but Central Park often does hold large concerts
They hold fairly sizable concerts there basically every night during the summer. Some are smaller shows/acts are free while the bigger ones cost money to get in. There are other events there too which the public can't necessarily get into such as when Good Morning America does their Friday morning concert series. You can't just walk into that - you need tickets and they block off one of the areas of the park for it.

Also, comparing Grant Park to Central Park is silly. Central Park is nearly 850 acres while Grant Park is about 320 acres. Not to mention that even during Lolla, not all of Grant Park is off limits and places like Millennium Park, Maggie Daley Park, etc are still open. Not only that, but they kind of serve two separate functions. People go to central park to stroll around, enjoy themselves, and hang out in places like Sheep's Meadow. These scenes are basically akin to when Chicagoans go and use the beaches. Grant Park does not serve the same function as Central Park. Comparing these two parks is completely apples to oranges other than the fact that they're called parks and have green space.

If you wanted to compare Central Park usage wise to anything in Chicago it would be some of the popular beaches and maybe Lincoln Park just north of North Avenue near the Lincoln Park Zoo.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 10:43 PM

Apple on the river

Aug 4

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 12:44 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Aug 4
RUMP pretty much says it all...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Aug 4
What is this? Bird deterrent? (There were quite a few hanging out up there when I walked by last weekend) Seems very un-apple to have such a thing sticking out of their otherwise pristine rooftop. Can't tell what the folded thing next to it is either, maybe it is temporary?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 4:41 AM

South Loop residents probably wouldn't be so upset about Lolla if the the traffic management folks were halfway competent. Roosevelt Road traffic gets ridiculous priority over everything else. North/South cars have to back up 2-3 blocks before they get a chance to move. Pedestrians will wait 10 minutes before they are allowed to cross the street. Bikes are on their own. Best of luck.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 5:42 AM

08/04/17

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
08/04/17

I was skeptical of the Apple building on Pioneer Plaza at first, but this is going to be a very nice addition. It creates new public space, greenery, and allows people to get closer to the River along the north banks. Assuming Apple keeps its signage to its historical minimalist approach, I think this is a big win for the city. It's unique among Apple stores in the world and it provides an opportunity for new development along Michigan avenue in its existing store. I don't see many downsides to this for Chicago.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 2:14 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
South Loop residents probably wouldn't be so upset about Lolla if the the traffic management folks were halfway competent.
Yeah, I don't understand the theory used by many of the folks given keys to the control boxes. Is it that ridiculously long (6 minute) signal cycles reduce the amount of time vehicles spend accelerating to speed? Or reduces the amount of the cycle lost to pedestrians crossing?

I wish Lolla could be made to pay for an entrance/exit ramp where the McCormick Place Busway passes under Balbo. That way the #6 bus could still get through the area in some sort of timely fashion. Ambulances too. And it would be useful for McCormick Place service the rest of the year.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 2:35 PM

The problem is traffic lights in general. Such an inefficient way to manage traffic in general.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I don't understand the theory used by many of the folks given keys to the control boxes. Is it that ridiculously long (6 minute) signal cycles reduce the amount of time vehicles spend accelerating to speed? Or reduces the amount of the cycle lost to pedestrians crossing?
As a South Loop resident, I love the neighborhood and will leave it kicking and screaming ... but this is definitely my biggest complaint about Lolla and Bears home games. That, and the fact that during Lolla I have to tolerate hordes of drunk, entitled suburban children wearing "vintage" Nirvana shirts. (Do you know the lyrics to "Breed"? I didn't think so.)

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Their lodestar principle is for citizens to have some voice in how Chicago parks and forest preserves are run.
FotP spent the most political capital they have ever had blocking a wildly popular project that would have had a large, manifestly and manifold positive impact on the city and the lakefront. I don't respect the organization, its members or supporters. It's such a huge misstep that in 20 years I may not be able to be a gentleman if I were introduced to a FotP board member.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisvanderwright View Post
grant park is "chicago's front lawn" it's not "intended for local residents"... Also, when grant park was created there basically were no "local residents" because the loop was almost completely commercial and industrial...

Here's a novel idea: Don't move next to the second largest business district in the country if you don't want to be inconvenienced by major events a few times a year...
but its a whole four days!!! That is over 1% of an entire year!!!!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 5:18 PM

Quote:

Their lodestar principle is for citizens to have some voice in how Chicago parks and forest preserves are run. Secondarily, they would mostly say that parks should be used as parks, not as private building sites or private festival grounds.
FotParking Lots has a pretty strong record on protecting the rights of cars:

2015 - Sues to keep parking lot rather than Lucas Museum. Rejects multiple offers creating new park land.
2016 - 31st street beach should have less park, more PARKING!
2017 - Obama foundation proposed. FotPL response - "Don't close the street! What about the cars!?!"
2017 - Let's stop Lollapalooza, it slows down cars.

Do these people actually DO anything other than piss away donor money so that Juanita Irizarry can try to get her name a paper and try to claim credit every time someone plants a tree?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
As a South Loop resident, I love the neighborhood and will leave it kicking and screaming ... but this is definitely my biggest complaint about Lolla and Bears home games. That, and the fact that during Lolla I have to tolerate hordes of drunk, entitled suburban children wearing "vintage" Nirvana shirts. (Do you know the lyrics to "Breed"? I didn't think so.)
Seriously who cares? I'd rather south loop residents complain about ugly apartment / condo buildings with huge parking podiums. That's the biggest slap in the face to this city. At least those lolla kids are subsidizing the cost of those parks we can use and enjoy 99% the rest of the year. While I do my best to avoid the festival and put up with the loud base while working last Thursday, we are truly fortunate to have this festival in our city

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 8:13 PM

Quote:

I wish Lolla could be made to pay for an entrance/exit ramp where the McCormick Place Busway passes under Balbo. That way the #6 bus could still get through the area in some sort of timely fashion. Ambulances too. And it would be useful for McCormick Place service the rest of the year.
Do you really think they work under any "theory"?

They're moderately amusing when they just stand there and twirl their arms around and blow whistles. The second they take control of the lights all mayhem breaks loose. Honestly, traffic would be better without them.

I'm sure we could all come up with examples, but for me it was the evening when I was patiently waiting to turn right on green to let the pedestrians cross. The "orange vest" person starting screaming at me "TURN, TURN NOW, NOW, TURN NOW". He was actually in my face when I pointed out the pedestrians I'd have killed had I followed his order.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 9:25 PM

Uptown’s Getting a Mini-Food Hall With Budlong Chicken, Barbecue, and a Boozy Patio
by Ashok Selvam@Shokdiesel Aug 7, 2017, 4:06pm CDT

Quote:
The owner of the Budlong Hot Chicken and BBQ Supply Co. in Rogers Park is stepping out in a big way in Uptown. Jared Leonard is building a three-headed monster with Beacon St. Market, a food hall that includes another Budlong and a second BBQ Supply, as well as a new restaurant, Norm’s Deli. The new spot should open sometime next year at 1325 W. Wilson Ave.

“I’ve been working on this for about a year,” Leonard said. “That stretch of Wilson is a really nice area — Uptown and Sheridan Park have really been on the cusp of development...but there’s a lack of restaurants — specifically, restaurants with outdoor areas.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development