HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 1:35 PM
Urbane observer

^What makes one way of having a material pretend to be something else "proper," and another illegitimate? Louis Kahn has asked me to prepare a memo.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 1:52 PM

^Well, I would humbly suggest that using actual, real bricks - fired in kilns, etc. - is way more 'proper' and 'honest' than simply stamping a pattern into precast... it's the same thing that LVDW was going on and on about the differences between the NBC tower and OBP... one utilizing actual limestone set in precast panels, the other simply mimicking the actual material with precast...

bKL's Exhibit actually used laid-up brick which, surprisingly, is still cheaper, even with the additional labor, than using bricks set into panels... personally, on a project that size I think it is kind of criminal to use traditional laid-up brick due to the significant $$ required to address the inevitable maintenance requirements over the lifetime of the project compared to a precast panel system...

also, I would like to point out that the design and detailing of the brick precast system on McD's is some of the best I have ever seen...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^What makes one way of having a material pretend to be something else "proper," and another illegitimate? Louis Kahn has asked me to prepare a memo.
The difference is like making expensive wood cabinetry out of walnut veneer on plywood versus making shaker cabinets out if plywood and then putting a plastic printed veneer or just painting it with faux grain and saying "look as ye olde beautiful cabinet".

One is actually superior to the original (much like Pilsenarch mentions with exhibit) because plywood doesnt warp and is stronger and more consistent than many solid woods. When you veneer it you are still getting the exact same or better aesthetic effect. The other is hideous and cheap and will look like shit in 10 years. Using a veneer for the look you want is totally acceptable, in fact it let's you do things that might otherwise be impractical or impossible. The other route is Disneyland and doesn't pass for the original for a moment, never will, and will be increasingly obvious as it ages. Just like the plastic faux wood in Mr. DTs Buick, lol.

I suspect that the brickwork we see here would be exceedingly difficult or more work to try to lay traditionally, all these skinny sills and mullions, think if the iron that would have to be placed to carry it all. This situation is a perfect use of precast because it allows forms that were previously impractical. We still get the visual interest of real brick magnified by the new use if the material.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Was in the West Loop last night. It's a strange place right now. Still pretty quiet once you get off Randolph, but you get this feeling that it's just about to take off
I sure hope so. The West Loop is always heralded as the "hottest neighborhood in the city," but it's still really boring to walk around unless you're right on Randolph.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
I sure hope so. The West Loop is always heralded as the "hottest neighborhood in the city," but it's still really boring to walk around unless you're right on Randolph.
That's why I can't wait till 2018, when most of the major residential/office developments come online. Curbed updated their West Loop map, which shows about 50 different projects for the area: https://chicago.curbed.com/maps/west...nt-chicago-map

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 9:33 PM

Chicago Sky signs deal to play at McCormick Place’s new Wintrust Arena
by Jay Koziarz Jul 25, 2017, 1:40pm CDT

Quote:
DePaul University’s Blue Demons won’t be the only basketball team to soon call McCormick Place’s upcoming Wintrust Arena home. The Chicago Sky, the Windy City’s WNBA team, will also relocate from the Allstate Arena in Rosemont to the new Near South Side venue. A five-year contract starting with the 2018 regular season has been signed between the team and Wintrust Arena’s owners—Chicago’s Metropolitan Pier & Exposition Authority (MPEA). Calling for 17 annual home games, the newly announced deal also includes a revenue sharing agreement, reports Danny Ecker of Crain’s.

Set to open in September, the Pelli Clarke Pelli-designed event space will feature over 10,300 seats and 22 high-tech suites beneath an undulating, ravioli-esque roofline. Not limited solely to basketball games, the venue is expected to host between 50 and 70 events a year, including conventions and concerts.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 1:56 AM
THAT Guy

New Columbia student center

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 2:06 AM
The City

^ Nice, I like how it properly addresses the corner by reaching its greatest height there

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:27 AM

I hope they keep it well illuminated at night. Looks like channel glass cladding?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I spent a little time unsuccessfully trying to find the past articles that believed this would be a boondoggle. I am fairly certain they said that they would need 50 events per year to break even.

This announcement adds up to 40-43 basketball games per year.

Can they get 10 concerts and convention events? I'd be shocked if they couldn't.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 1:38 PM

doubt all "events" are created equal, can't imagine the Sky pull in much $. The league is supported by kids on field trips.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 1:40 PM

Permits for 900 W Washington to begin construction were issued yesterday. A refresher of what this project looks like:

Source: DNAInfo Chicago

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 1:52 PM
The City

^ I don't like the ground floor treatment but otherwise I like this

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
doubt all "events" are created equal, can't imagine the Sky pull in much $. The league is supported by kids on field trips.
The WNBA's biggest supporter is the NBA who just hired them a new commissioner last year. If they can pull in 7000 people per game in Rosemont (that's a lot of field trips), they should come close to selling out every game downtown. I know I'll take my daughter to a few games since we can just walk there. Never would have done that out in the burbs.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
I spent a little time unsuccessfully trying to find the past articles that believed this would be a boondoggle. I am fairly certain they said that they would need 50 events per year to break even.

This announcement adds up to 40-43 basketball games per year.

Can they get 10 concerts and convention events? I'd be shocked if they couldn't.
wow I am actually shocked by their attendance numbers, 7k a game is no joke for WNBA

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:01 PM

I used to work at the UIC pavillion and they were lucky to fill 700 seats per game. That was years ago so it may have changed since then. But 7k is a long stretch to what they used to sell.But good for them if their filling up more seats.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:02 PM

North Branch rezone passes!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:14 PM
Small but Mighty

New article from Curbed about Sterling Bay's Finkl Steel Redevelopment plan-
https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/7/26...-606-extension

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:37 PM

Nobu Hotel

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 6:41 PM
Development Shill

If they are getting 7k in Rosemont, they could very well start selling out games in the coming years being that Wintrust is what, 10.5k seats?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development