HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I just read that Lucid Motors is planning to open up a Chicago showroom in 2021 along with a handful of other cities..
I suspect it's Lucid. They've been opening up stores in high profile retail destinations across some US city centers recently.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 12:55 PM
The City

I never heard of Lucid Motors until I just Googled them now. I guess that's why they need a showroom.

On another note, Detroit better watch out. California seems to be dominating the trend of electric vehicles, which seems to be the future.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I never heard of Lucid Motors until I just Googled them now. I guess that's why they need a showroom.

On another note, Detroit better watch out. California seems to be dominating the trend of electric vehicles, which seems to be the future.
I only heard about them in passing but their cars look pretty nice. Apparently their newest battery has a range of over 100 miles more than Tesla. Very close to cars like Honda Accord now. Some of their top people used to be at Tesla, Mazda, etc. Well funded..

Michigan or Detroit (forget which) wants to ban direct sales of Lucid and I think even Tesla. Evolve or die. These industries around a cleaner energy will happen sooner or later where there's a job boom. Tesla, Lucid, Rivian, etc are all based in CA. They will take over Detroit eventually unless companies like GM can be successful in their electric vehicle plans. Thats one reason I think this could easily be a GM showroom for electric vehicles as something like Lucid. Also the architect of record for Lamar Johnson Collaborative did something for GM near Detroit about a decade ago. Probably doesn't mean anything but..fun fact.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I only heard about them in passing but their cars look pretty nice. Apparently their newest battery has a range of over 100 miles more than Tesla. Very close to cars like Honda Accord now. Some of their top people used to be at Tesla, Mazda, etc. Well funded..

Michigan or Detroit (forget which) wants to ban direct sales of Lucid and I think even Tesla. Evolve or die. These industries around a cleaner energy will happen sooner or later where there's a job boom. Tesla, Lucid, Rivian, etc are all based in CA. They will take over Detroit eventually unless companies like GM can be successful in their electric vehicle plans. Thats one reason I think this could easily be a GM showroom for electric vehicles as something like Lucid. Also the architect of record for Lamar Johnson Collaborative did something for GM near Detroit about a decade ago. Probably doesn't mean anything but..fun fact.
In the United States, direct manufacturer auto sales are prohibited in almost every state by franchise laws requiring that new cars be sold only by authorized independent dealers. Tesla has been fighting these laws and asking for exemptions via their lobbyists and has had some success but I'm not sure how much or in which states.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
In the United States, direct manufacturer auto sales are prohibited in almost every state by franchise laws requiring that new cars be sold only by authorized independent dealers. Tesla has been fighting these laws and asking for exemptions via their lobbyists and has had some success but I'm not sure how much or in which states.
Sorry not sure why I said direct sales. I think they were trying to ban Tesla sales period in Michigan. However I am behind. They struck a deal earlier this year.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I've always thought that if French cars come back to the US, high end "design showrooms" like what we're talking about would be cool. I could totally see a Citroen showroom on Mich Ave, promoting them as unique and different.
Citroen used to have a cool showroom on the Champs-Élysées (Paris's Mag Mile). Something similar would very much fit in on the Mag Mile. More museum/brand experience showcase than a dealership. Was a nice spot to get out of the sun and connect to free wifi during a recent trip.

https://www.architonic.com/en/projec...-paris/5100183

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 9:59 PM

From Cirrus and Cascade thread - a good look at the progress of the Flyover -

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Via Earthcam:

On a side note, but man, that's a big parking deck.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 1:35 AM
The City

A small snippet from Bisnow:

Quote:
Officials from Chicago-based Belgravia Group said its latest condominium development, CA6 West Loop, is 35% sold. The firm plans to break ground on the 72-unit, seven-story building at 305-323 South Racine Ave. later this fall.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 2:34 PM
TL;DR

Nice, that Hubbard St Dance building is starting to become an eyesore as it hasn't been maintained. It'll be a shame to lose that awesome Krueck + Sexton design though, especially for a VERY trad, red brick condo building. That said, their traditional design is better than most and I like the midrise scale of the new building.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 3:17 AM

Archer Homes Developments is planning a TOD with 33 units at 3595-99 S. Archer Ave

https://mckinleypark.news/news/953-s...327/hotspot/90

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 2:01 PM
The City

^ Finally somebody is starting to acknowledge that a transit line runs through this area

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 2:07 PM

Quote:
^ Finally somebody is starting to acknowledge that a transit line runs through this area
Now if only we could get some decent architecture along with decent development! That building at Halsted/Archer with the curved balconies is aging about as good as a banana left on the counter for 3 months

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 8:35 PM

If I had the capital, I would buy up properties along this stretch of Clark. It will look very different in 5-10 years. It is extremely underdeveloped for its proximity to Andersonville and Lakeview.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/10...rom-neighbors/

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 9:41 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Is this the first Orange Line TOD? Hard to believe but it might be true

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 9:57 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
If I had the capital, I would buy up properties along this stretch of Clark. It will look very different in 5-10 years. It is extremely underdeveloped for its proximity to Andersonville and Lakeview.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/10...rom-neighbors/
Based on the article there is a lot of NIMBYism

But I think Cappleman isn’t to bad

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 10:18 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Based on the article there is a lot of NIMBYism

But I think Cappleman isn’t to bad
Cappleman was very supportive for a recent zoning project we applied for with our client. He was thoughtful, rational and tried very hard to appease everyone. The neighboring condo associations were abhorrent, full of entitled, hypocritical people. "This project would be great, but not next to my building, because we'd potentially losing one hour of sunlight during summer evenings." That was a real comment during one of the meetings, even after we had created multiple sun studies showing that their fear was totally unwarranted.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 10:28 PM

Best Western Parking Garage next to the Treasure Island Redevelopment on Broadway:
Quote:
Rebel Hospitality is proposing to redevelop the property with a 167-key hotel with 61 parking spaces. The property was formerly a two-story parking garage, that was recently demolished.

The hotel is proposed with seven stories, for a maximum building height of 72 feet. The upper three floors are set back from the front elevation along Broadway for a total of 14 feet at the top level. The ground floor consists of lobby space and approximately 4,800 square feet of retail/restaurant space along the Broadway frontage. Parking is located behind the lobby and retail/restaurant areas and will not be visible from the street. Parking and loading will be accessed from a drive on the north end of the property, which will be shared with the Optima mixed-use development directly to the north.

The second floor will consist of hotel amenities such as fitness center and meeting space, along with hotel back-of-house areas. An outdoor landscaped garden court is also located on the second floor.

The hotel rooms are located on floors 3 through 7. Private terraces are included for some of the rooms on the 5th through 7th floors.

The proposed hotel will also expand and share in the courtyard that is currently located in front of the Best Western Hotel at 3434 N. Broadway, directly south. The Best Western is also operated by Rebel Hospitality.

A Type 1 zoning amendment from the current B3-2 to B3-3 will be sought. If the rezoning is approved, a special use for the hotel use will also be required.

https://www.44thward.org/development...40-n-broadway/

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Is this the first Orange Line TOD? Hard to believe but it might be true
Funny, I'm putting a 12 unit under contract a few blocks from there. That area is popping off, they are about to start the renovation of a big flatiron right there too. Also one of the CMD buildings is in the middle of a huge gut rehab.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPlanner View Post
Best Western Parking Garage next to the Treasure Island Redevelopment on Broadway:
I can see this being an option for Wrigley visitors and Northalsted (nee Boystown) visitors alike.

Speaking of the Treasure Island parcel, there is a crane on site. Didn't get a picture but it's up.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 1:01 AM

1100 W Randolph

Oct 20

forget what is going here

Chicago | 1100 W Randolph by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development