HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 11:56 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Yes, Michiganians, Ohio has better roads

I thought some of you could have some fun with this.

The conditions of Michigan's roads have become the big issue this election cycle. In fact, it's to the point that when the legislature recently proposed a tax rebate and income tax cut - I know, surprise, right? - their was something of a revolt from their constituents forcing them to change course, and come up with a plan to plow the state's surplus back into road reconstruction.

But, what will really drive us to finally find a long-term funding solution? That Ohio has better roads.

Quote:

John Richard of MDOT answers questions about Michigan road repairs. (MDOT)

Yes, Michiganians, Ohio has better roads

By Tom Greenwood | The Detroit News

May 9, 2014

Since I became the transportation writer, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard people complain about the condition of Michigan roads.

And the first sentence usually hammers on how Ohio’s roads are so much better than Michigan’s. (I especially hear this from truckers and from sun birds returning home from Florida.)

Well, guess what? The Michigan Department of Transportation agrees the roads in Buckeye land are in better shape than ours.

MDOT made this candid confession as part of its “Reality Check” campaign, which directly addresses the myths, misconceptions and realities of why MDOT does what it does.

MDOT launched Reality Check in April and visitors to its website (www.michigan.gov/realitycheck) can view plain-speaking, to-the-point videos about problems with roads.

The videos address realities, including accusations that MDOT is skimping on road salt and has a slipshod method of repairing potholes, and that our roads and bridges aren’t in such bad shape after all so why not spend that money somewhere else.

The Ohio video begins with the following voice over: “I just came back from Ohio and their roads are so much better than Michigan’s. MDOT needs to learn how Ohio does it so they can build better roads.”

MDOT spokesman John Richard looks directly into the camera and confesses that “OK, this one stings a bit because it’s not really a myth. Overall, Ohio does have better roads than Michigan does.”

“Ah, that does hurt,” said Richard, hanging his head. “But the misconception is: why does Ohio have better roads? Is it about know-how? No. It’s about investment.”

Richard then explains that Ohio spends $1 billion more a year on its roads than Michigan, which makes a tremendous difference in road quality.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 1:21 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

In other news, the sky is still blue.

Old Posted May 11, 2014, 3:29 AM
E pluribus unum

So, how much of the money that Ohio makes on speeding tickets go towards road maintenance, if at all?

Seeing as how there's a state trooper at seemingly every mile marker along the Interstates, one would assume that Ohio's fiscal solvency is highly dependent upon speeders...

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 8:16 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

If it makes you feel any better, you guys are on some major cross-country routes, so a lot of that money is coming from out-of-state drivers. You know, like us Michiganders, even.

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 5:00 PM
E pluribus unum

Oh definitely. I-70, I-80/90 and I-75 are gold mines.

I learned how to drive in Arizona, where speed limits are a suggestion for the most part, which explains why almost every time I go back to Ohio I'm pulled over by state troopers for speeding.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 1:02 AM
Always A Classic

On I-75 northbound I'm always tempted to pull over for a (phantom) flat as soon as I cross over into Michigan. Sadly, it's not like Ohio has exceptionally good roads. But I'm always reminded about what an undergrad professor from Germany told me - Michigan's roads are worse than pre-unified East Germany. A that was at the start of Michigan's decade-long recession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001
Seeing as how there's a state trooper at seemingly every mile marker along the Interstates, one would assume that Ohio's fiscal solvency is highly dependent upon speeders...
On I-71 between Cleveland and Columbus (a roughly 120-130 mile stretch) I counted 17 or 18 state of local cops looking for speeders and four mobile Motor Carrier Enforcement vehicles.

When I lived in Lakewood, I was vertually certain to see two Lakewood PD cops clocking at night on my two mile drive down Detroit Avenue going from the gym to home.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 6:03 PM
Honored Member

Most of the major freeways in the Metro Detroit area have seen reconstruction in the last decade or so. In fact, I'd say the freeway on the Monroe County side is in much better shape than many of the freeways in Toledo.

It's the surface roads that need the most attention. Many of the state and national roads have seen a lot of work in recent years, but the county roads are in a horrible state.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 7:47 PM
Always A Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
Most of the major freeways in the Metro Detroit area have seen reconstruction in the last decade or so. In fact, I'd say the freeway on the Monroe County side is in much better shape than many of the freeways in Toledo.

It's the surface roads that need the most attention. Many of the state and national roads have seen a lot of work in recent years, but the county roads are in a horrible state.
Quit, just quit. The concrete Michigan I-75 side has also recently had a lot of work, yet it's pretty bad going from Ohio's smooth asphalt to Michigan's rough and loud concrete. And Ohio does better road clearing and salting in the winter too - also noticeable at the state line.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 8:38 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

^In addition to that, I never understood why they took out the reflectors on Michigan's freeways (well, the one's I've been on...which is most of them). At night, they are handy and when it snows, it's VERY useful. I remember driving in Februrary through a damn-near-blizzard between Detroit and Cincinnati and couldn't even see the damn lines on I-75 in Michigan because there were no reflectors. When I got to Toledo or even the rural areas of Northwest Ohio, I could at least see the lines on the roads.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 12:18 AM
Always A Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
^In addition to that, I never understood why they took out the reflectors on Michigan's freeways (well, the one's I've been on...which is most of them). At night, they are handy and when it snows, it's VERY useful. I remember driving in Februrary through a damn-near-blizzard between Detroit and Cincinnati and couldn't even see the damn lines on I-75 in Michigan because there were no reflectors. When I got to Toledo or even the rural areas of Northwest Ohio, I could at least see the lines on the roads.
Snow plows tend to dislodge raised pavement markers and a few fly into the windshields of drivers every year so they require a lot of maintenance. Given that Michigan has some of the worse roadway investment and maintenance in the nation then it's probably best that they're not used.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 12:26 AM
Always A Classic

I found the video linked to the article that LMich posted.

Video Link

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 1:32 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Brown View Post
Quit, just quit. The concrete Michigan I-75 side has also recently had a lot of work, yet it's pretty bad going from Ohio's smooth asphalt to Michigan's rough and loud concrete. And Ohio does better road clearing and salting in the winter too - also noticeable at the state line.
So it's the noisy concrete that bothers you? I'm just saying. When I drive to Cedar Point, there's some bumpy freeways in Toledo. They just reconstructed a huge section of I-75 through southern Wayne County into Monroe County. Streetview shows the construction in progress but the satellite images show the freshly minted freeway. So you quit... lol.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 3:02 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
So it's the noisy concrete that bothers you? I'm just saying. When I drive to Cedar Point, there's some bumpy freeways in Toledo. They just reconstructed a huge section of I-75 through southern Wayne County into Monroe County. Streetview shows the construction in progress but the satellite images show the freshly minted freeway. So you quit... lol.
I'm sorry but I literally just drove that last week and that's further from the truth. I-75 in Toledo is fine and smooth (except for near downtown). And keep in mind, Northwest Ohio generally has the worst maintenance in the state, by far. Only inner-city Cleveland is worse. All that to say, I-75 in Monroe County is no good. The bridges look decayed, random cattails sprouting off in the shoulders, median guard-rails look rusted, etc. Now I agree there's definitely some bumpy roads near downtown Toledo but that shit ain't shit compared to I-75 getting near Detroit in terms of bumps.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 7:02 PM

That makes me thinking about that thread in the City Discussions subforum exposing that suggestion of the current French government to merge some regions in my country to cut some public expense... LMich knows about that thread.

So how would you guys laugh the hell out loud at the epic idea of merging MI and OH?

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 8:38 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

The two states fought a war over Toledo. No bueno.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 9:24 PM
Honored Member

I will say that there is a big stretch of I-275 through Monroe County that is in horrible shape. It gets much better once you're into Wayne County, but I-75 from northern Monroe County through Southgate was literally just reconstructed, so I don't see how you can complain. Not only that, but a huge number of bridges along most of the major freeways have been completely reconstructed in the last few years. Monroe County definitely still has some of the old style bridges, but most of the bridges in Wayne County along I-75 are brand new, like only two or three years old.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 11:07 PM
Always A Classic

Quote:
Yes, it does and it isn't as smooth as concrete, but requires much more regular replacement. And it's not just the road surface - Ohio implements rigorous and consistent signage, cleaning, and markings that are absent in Michigan. Even the salt trucks in Ohio use special bright lights so that they're visible even in a blizzard. Let's not even talk about how I-75 in Wayne and Monroe counties is usually strewn with trash and tires...

I think that you're the last Michigan roads booster in the world.

Video Link

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 11:14 PM
Always A Classic

Quote:
It would be easier to merge Michigan and Ohio than for any Great Lakes state to merge with Indiana. It's our regional red-headed stepchild where somehow the Mason-Dixon line bubbled up to the southern shores of Lake Michigan.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 11:38 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Precisely. Although I still believe Ohio was the loser of that war in the long run, seeing as how we're currently stuck with Toledo.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 12:28 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Brown View Post
It would be easier to merge Michigan and Ohio than for any Great Lakes state to merge with Indiana. It's our regional red-headed stepchild where somehow the Mason-Dixon line bubbled up to the southern shores of Lake Michigan.
I concur.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest