HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Besides we know in COV hands it would only be a matter of time before residential crept onto the island and the cement plant kicked out.
The cement plant's lease runs until 2046, so it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 9:15 PM

http://www.biv.com/article/20140703/...anville-island

Quote:
Current and ex-Vancouver mayor clash over future of Granville Island
By Glen KorstromThu Jul 3, 2014 3:18pm PST

The rumour that Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corp. (CMHC) plans to pass operational control over Granville Island to Port Metro Vancouver (PMV) is pitting Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson against his predecessor and MLA for the area, Sam Sullivan.

“The City of Vancouver is strongly opposed to Granville Island being controlled by Port Metro Vancouver and we made our position clear to the port and the government of Canada in discussions and correspondence over many months,” Robertson said in a statement.

He added that he supports having the city step in to manage the area either as part of a land transfer or by leasing the 35-acre peninsula. Another of Robertson’s ideas is that an independent local authority be created to protect Granville Island’s “unique character.”

Sullivan, however, told Business in Vancouver that he supports any operational transition that would bring the governance of the peninsula to Vancouver from Ottawa.

“I also don’t believe it should be managed by the City of Vancouver,” Sullivan said. “The only reason Granville Island is as wonderful as it is, is because it is not run by the City of Vancouver.

He believes that the city had opposed the vision for the area from Day 1.

“The city wanted that to be a playing field,” Sullivan said. “The city opposed not having sidewalks. They opposed cobblestones. It also opposed the kind of businesses that were going there. The unique nature of Granville Island would never have been done if it were managed by the City of Vancouver and the dead hand of planning.”

http://www.biv.com/article/20140703/...anville-island

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 9:17 PM
More Towers

Though I'm tempted to want to see the city take it over and make a royal mess of things just for laughs

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Isn't that Collection 45 on East 8th? Regardless, it turned out nicely, I wonder what kind of retail will open up underneath.
You are correct, I was mistaken in stating W 7th.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 9:14 PM
blog this

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
Though I'm tempted to want to see the city take it over and make a royal mess of things just for laughs
First thing they would do is ban all cars, busniesses be damned....

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 12:31 AM

New HVAC for the SAP Building - 901 Mainland -

Pic by me yesterday:

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 5:08 PM

Here's a pano that I took last evening that shows the South Creek Landing building almost complete.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 4:58 PM
More Towers

Another reason why the CoV shouldn't run Granville Island:

Quote:
Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson has discussed creating a museum dedicated to former cancer activist and athlete Terry Fox or to have the Vancouver Maritime Museum move to Granville Island, but those ideas have little traction.
Thank god for that.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 9:04 PM

It would be a good site for the Maritime Museum (it needs moorage that allows tall masted ships).
But te only reason behind a move for them is to appease the nimby Kits Point residents.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 9:58 PM

Took some photos of Prelude on Cambie Street which is nearing completion.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genauso View Post
On that note, there are a also couple cranes working on some sites behind the Molson Brewery on Burrard if anyone wants to investigate and photograph.
Changing City Updates just posted the only renders of that Seaforth Armoury project I've seen:

Quote:
Seaforth Armoury addition

Posted on July 15, 2014

This project has already reached the fourth (top) floor of the frame, but as far as we can tell it hasn’t got a Development Permit (and will possibly never get one). It’s being built by Carillion Construction for Defense Construction Canada, and the public announcement of the project (after it had already started) said the new building will cost around $31m. Once completed it will allow the Jericho Armoury to be “divested”. There’s an additional retrofit and seismic upgrade to ensure the existing heritage building complies with the National Building Code of Canada and Department of National Defence standards.

There’s no confirmation of who the architects are, although bidding documents suggest a consortium of The Colborne Architectural Group/AMEC Americas Limited. The project hit a rocky patch at the end of 2013 when workers with the demolition subcontractor blockaded the site for non-payment. We have no idea if the design has evolved – although given that the project went ahead quite fast we’re guessing not a lot.
http://changingcitybook.com/2014/07/...oury-addition/

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 3:42 PM

Last evening they were testing new lighting on the South Creek Landing building (south end of the Cambie Street Bridge).

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
Another reason why the CoV shouldn't run Granville Island:

Thank god for that.
actually. I think having more museums and spaces for such things more in the downtown core would be nice. that'd be awesome. I know when my wife and went to NY, they had so much museums all around their core. it was crazy. it's not like we don't have museums here. we do. but they're so scattered everywhere. i wonder if having them more centralized would be a good idea? just throwing the idea out there....

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
Last evening they were testing new lighting on the South Creek Landing building (south end of the Cambie Street Bridge).

Looks awesome! Thanks.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
actually. I think having more museums and spaces for such things more in the downtown core would be nice. that'd be awesome. I know when my wife and went to NY, they had so much museums all around their core. it was crazy. it's not like we don't have museums here. we do. but they're so scattered everywhere. i wonder if having them more centralized would be a good idea? just throwing the idea out there....
The vacated Emily Carr space would be perfect for the Maritime Museum or the MOV if that doesn't make it into the downtown peninsula.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 8:02 PM
More Towers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
I just wonder if their collection would end up drawing people (like the museums you would find in NYC). Even the Vancouver Art Gallery is usually pretty meh.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 8:57 PM

From Changing City Updates:

311 East 6th Ave.

Needs revisions following rejection by UDP.

http://changingcitybook.com/2014/07/...st-6th-avenue/

Plus bunch of applications ready to go to Public Hearing:

http://www.vancouvermarket.ca/2014/0...ublic-hearing/

Including a big one at 7350 Fraser St.

3503 East Hastings (at Skeena (near Boundary)):

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver