HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 1:44 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not quite what you are looking for, but my kids are second-language speakers of English, with way more exposure to North American English than British English.

They find standard North American English and English that is close to standard RP equally easy to understand.

Stuff like Cockney, Scottish accents are more difficult, as are thick Southern US accents, Newfoundland accents and African-American "vernacular English".

As a third language speaker of Spanish, Spaniards are easier for me to understand than most any other group.
I'm thinking someone born in Japan who is learning English as a second language.

Do they find the announcers on the BBC or CNN to be easier to follow?

Or is it a wash?

Again, I'm not expecting an answer on an English-dominated forum.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 1:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
I'm thinking someone born in Japan who is learning English as a second language.

Do they find the announcers on the BBC or CNN to be easier to follow?

Or is it a wash?

Again, I'm not expecting an answer on an English-dominated forum.
It probably depends mostly on who their teachers are.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 1:47 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah89 View Post
This is the best example of it

https://youtu.be/d9HbochSSyY

Do you hear what I hear?
When that guy speaks, all I can think of is 'Canadian NHL Hockey Player '.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
That pronunciation of "way" is sort of the eee sound I had mentioned.
Yes the EEEE sound. ''The STEEEEEETS'' (the states) ''teeeeeeeeek'' (take).

I hear it too.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 2:55 PM
video et taceo

The British accent of the colonial settlers was somewhat closer to modern American than the current RP you hear from the BBC and other bodies of Official London.

They changed more than we did, essentially.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Just an average dude and dudette who go to the gym.

In terms of accent, I don't find it sounds particularly goofy or non-intellectual.

Especially not if we're comparing to standard American accents where a lot of the vowel sounds are quite "lazy".

To my ear, clipped vowel sounds are preferable.
His accent is strong. You won't hear this to this level in Toronto anymore but you will hear it in the other mid sized Ontario cities and small towns.

Not goofy? I will have to disagree. He sounds like he's missing part of his brain. I remember hearing during the whole rob ford crack scandal in 2013 an American talking about Canadian accents on youtube after Rob Ford did his Jimmy Kimmel appearance. Something like ''The Canadian accent sounds like the person just had a lobotomy''.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 2:58 PM
ハルウララ

Been noticing more people saying 'yahhh' lately when they agree with something someone's said. Just a long, almost slurred version of 'yeah'.

Quote:
Not goofy? I will have to disagree. He sounds like he's missing part of his brain. I remember hearing during the whole rob ford crack scandal in 2013 an American talking about Canadian accents on youtube after Rob Ford did his Jimmy Kimmel appearance. Something like ''The Canadian accent sounds like the person just had a lobotomy''.
The same thing can be said about the southern US drawl. It's very jarring to hear very intelligent people speak with this accent because no matter what they're saying or how smart they are they still sound like a backcountry yokel. Think I saw an interview once with a nuclear physicist from Louisiana or Alabama and it just seemed uncanny.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 3:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I call the Hoser accent the "Letterkenny accent" - definitely unsophisticated. I hate it. Give me the neutral Canadian urban accent any day instead.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
The British accent of the colonial settlers was somewhat closer to modern American than the current RP you hear from the BBC and other bodies of Official London.

They changed more than we did, essentially.
RP has changed a lot in the past 50 years. Even the Queen's accent has changed over time.

Best RP EVER? Lady Mary from Downton Abbey!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 3:08 PM

Buncha classist accent snobs in here

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 3:10 PM

Here and in the soul-sucking thread. I always feel like I'm among my people!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 3:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
His accent is strong. You won't hear this to this level in Toronto anymore but you will hear it in the other mid sized Ontario cities and small towns.

That's a matter of opinion.

I don't find long lazy vowels as in "ab-aaaaaaaht" sound very intelligent either, nor do I think "huh" in the place of "eh" sounds particularly good. And don't even get me started on "uh-huh" instead of "you're welcome" in response to a thank you.

I am not even a fan of the Anglo-Canadian accent, which if you ask me is kinda bland and non-descript.

But I don't find it makes people sound any dumber than anyone else. At least not on this land mass.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 2:20 PM

How funny is it to see a Canadian trying to flatten their vowels in the presence of Americans?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 2:23 PM

Quote:
How funny is it to see a Canadian trying to flatten their vowels in the presence of Americans?
Geez, thanks, now I'm going to be hearing Justin Beiber singing "Saahrry" in my head all day!

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Jul 13, 2020 at 5:13 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Geez, thanks, now I'm going to by hearing Justin Beiber singing "Saahrry" in my head all day!
I'm taking more about those people from ''the rebel media'' (wannabe America right-wing news) like Lauren Southern and this other man who when interviewing Americans desperately try to stretch their jaw back and say ''abooooowwwwwt''. When in other videos they just said ''aboat''.

I've even seen Canadians try to ''stop themselves'' from saying a word that draws their accent when the yankees are around. Like a quick back track in their sentence ''We just bought a new hou... I mean ''home''.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 5:13 PM

It has never occurred to me, so can’t say I’ve ever noticed it, although I’ve known Canadians who sound more mid-Atlantic after a while in the UK. Having lived in the USA and interacted with many Canadians there, I don’t think I ever noticed anyone do it.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 5:48 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
It has never occurred to me, so can’t say I’ve ever noticed it, although I’ve known Canadians who sound more mid-Atlantic after a while in the UK. Having lived in the USA and interacted with many Canadians there, I don’t think I ever noticed anyone do it.
I suspect it's not a conscious thing for many. Being a chameleon is human nature.

The funny thing to me is some people's obsessive behaviour about the particular topic. Almost if they suffer from some sort of deeply-ingrained inferiority complex. Maybe that's the real "Canadian raise".

I wonder if people with other 'not smart/sexy' accents have similar issues. Some just can't help pointing out how their fellow countrymen sound like imbeciles. I find that most people can generally overcome an accent once they start listening to the content of what one says. I've met many Brits who I've judged to be somewhat lacking despite the polished pedigree of their accent.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 8:00 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
I wonder if people with other 'not smart/sexy' accents have similar issues. Some just can't help pointing out how their fellow countrymen sound like imbeciles. I find that most people can generally overcome an accent once they start listening to the content of what one says. I've met many Brits who I've judged to be somewhat lacking despite the polished pedigree of their accent.
Brummies and Geordies are sensitive to this. As are southerners in the U.S.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 8:29 PM

I once met a chap from eastern Tennessee who told me that he had had tutoring to diminish his Southern/Appalachian accent. He and his family considered it an impediment to his future career prospects. I don’t know how common that is, but he didn’t see anything unusual in it.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 10:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Accent insecurities are a classic big guy/little guy phenomenon.

I never thought Anglo-Canadians had such insecurities vis-à-vis Americans but I guess some of you guys do. Either it's always been there and I just never noticed, or it's something fairly recent.

In any event, I've had Acadian family members from the Maritimes who've deliberately altered their accent when they moved to Quebec (especially Montreal), and who've scolded their kids for sounding too Acadian and generally look down on the way Acadians "back home" speak.

My Quebec born and raised kids have no love for the Franco-Ontarian accent even though their mom is Franco-Ontarian as are most of their relatives. (And I lived in Ontario for part of my life.)

OTOH, it's extremely common (almost legendary) for Québécois who go to France to change their accents, and to have some of that linger when they come back.

The expressions "parler en cul de poule" (speaking out of a chicken's ass*) or "parler pointu" (speaking sharply) are colourful ways to describe this.

As I've said before, "On est tous l'Indien de quelqu'un d'autre."

*Think of the Donald Trump duckface.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada