HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 8:26 PM
Great White Norf

Interesting!

During that time period we built countless white concrete high-rise "Commieblocks" in Ontario. Back when affordable rentals and reasonably priced for purchase housing was still a thing

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 9:03 PM
video et taceo

Had mid-century planning not been so doggedly revolutionary and fatally flawed, our ancestors of the time would have given us whole new cities to work with.

Instead we have a memory of good intentions and vast tracts of strange experimentation.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 9:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
I realize I have been bigging Sweden up a bit with the trains and such. Let us never forget:

I am pretty sure that building was assembled from an IKEA flatpack. Sjuksköterska

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 9:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Sweden sure has some grim housing projects.

mind you, Ontario has these types of buildings in spades. Usually not as wide, and usually taller, but no less soul-sucking. For example, any Drewlo apartment complex in London (Ontario).

Here is a (somewhat dated) soul-sucking shot of the back-end (not flattering angle) of London

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 9:41 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I am pretty sure that building was assembled from an IKEA flatpack. Sjuksköterska

The sick nurse

Kind of captures the self-defeating nature of these structures.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 9:45 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Had mid-century planning not been so doggedly revolutionary and fatally flawed, our ancestors of the time would have given us whole new cities to work with.

Instead we have a memory of good intentions and vast tracts of strange experimentation.
Makes me wonder what people a half-century from now will think of today's planning. Will there be a feeling (among those who care about it; I think only a minority really do) that we "got it right" or at least began to, if comparing to today or the relatively near future? Or will some different models emerge that make today's planning look like good-intentions-only? Opinions about what develops will inevitably differ depending on location in the world.

The impact of technology on how our cities are designed and built will be interesting to watch too. Though in a half-century I'll more than likely be gone... in mind, if not body.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 9:46 PM
video et taceo

19th century Stockholm is top-notch, and the single-family home areas are really great.

Everything in between was seemingly built by giant, disturbed toddlers failing at Duplo.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 9:47 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

mind you, Ontario has these types of buildings in spades. Usually not as wide, and usually taller, but no less soul-sucking. For example, any Drewlo apartment complex in London (Ontario).

Here is a (somewhat dated) soul-sucking shot of the back-end (not flattering angle) of London

That looks like the set of some Reagan-era dystopia about "what if America went commie".

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 9:49 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Makes me wonder what people a half-century from now will think of today's planning. Will there be a feeling (among those who care about it; I think only a minority really do) that we "got it right" or at least began to, if comparing to today or the relatively near future? Or will some different models emerge that make today's planning look like good-intentions-only? Opinions about what develops will inevitably differ depending on location in the world.

The impact of technology on how our cities are designed and built will be interesting to watch too. Though in a half-century I'll more than likely be gone... in mind, if not body.

We still have enormous scale issues that come from Modernism and from cars. Our buildings and spaces are still far too vast.

But I think we are improving.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada