HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:11 AM

Given the architect's previous works, it could be a lot worse.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Nobody's mentioned it here yet, but this building is supposed to be clad in real stone... Gizmo do said "blocks of stone" like the Great Pyramid. I wonder how long it will take for that to get VE'd out....

Conceptually it sounds like they are trying to make the building a giant thermal mass that uses passive principles for heating/cooling, so maybe they can pay for the stone with savings from mechanicals.
When you have a multi billion dollar personal budget there isn't as big of an emphasis on cost cutting. I hope it is made out of stone blocks, that would make this design fucking epic. If this is like a melted pyramid of actual stone blocks that would fucking be insane. People just don't build things using that method anymore. It would be particularly ironic in Chicago given our structural engineering history. I just want to know what the silver thing on top is? Observation room? Mock up of the Death Star flight deck? Lucas' private party palace?

I don't know what to think yet, but it sure is weird. As Ardecila said, it all depends on the interior. I have no idea what is going on here, so I can't tell you how it makes me feel.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:21 AM

This clearly opens the door for the long hoped for "Death Star on a Stick" observation tower rising from the dead and gone Spire site.

My first reaction to the Lucas rendering is that it looks a little like the upper third of the head of Jaba the Hut, with an eye slit ... I dunno. It's somewhere between "sublime" and "WTF". The "saucer" top would make an excellent night club (or canteen ;-)

Exciting nonetheless.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:24 AM
MPLSXCHI

I thought it looked like a tank from the shitty 2000's movies.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHi View Post
It's buildings like the Lucas Museum that make me think that I could have been an architect. From the first couple renderings, there's really nothing appealing about nor does it stand out in any sort of way. Looks like something the city would store salt in. Feeling quite underwhelmed by this one.
Welcome to the world of blobitecture. 100% bullshit, 100% of the time.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattshoe View Post
This is the only image that's been released? Then Jesus Christ on a fucking crucifix, how can anyone sit here and pass judgment? This rendering hardly provides us enough information to form anything approaching an informed opinion.

ETA: I didn't realize there were additional renderings. Consider my backlash to the backlash reduced by 50%. I still think it's imprudent for people not to qualify their opinions at this point.

Last edited by Ch.G, Ch.G; Nov 4, 2014 at 3:53 AM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:42 AM

For everyone who wants a few more conceptuals, here's the link:

http://www.lucasmuseum.org/museum-design.html

No need to try to barge through the Tribune paywall...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:50 AM

Gizmodo, surprisingly, had the most images I saw. Seems like it could use some railings, or sleds.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:52 AM

From the Lucas Museum webpage:

Quote:
The tallest points of the Lucas Museum will feature an observation deck with 360-degree views, providing visitors with stunning panoramas of both Chicago and Lake Michigan. Inside, three levels of exhibition space in infinite loops will inspire the imagination to ponder endless possibilities, both in content and design.

Looks like we might have a little Guggenheim action going on here. I'm sure lots of skyscraper fans will be thrilled by the inclusion of the observation deck.

Also this thing looks sick next to Lakeside Center.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 4:11 AM

Seems like Soldier Field will block the observation deck's view of downtown. Nothing could top the view from outside Adler.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 4:12 AM

Some more quotes from the Gizmodo article:

This one in particular sounds exciting:

Quote:
The Lucas Museum of Narrative Art looks less like an art museum and more like a college campus from some imagined future: A long, stately procession of small parklets and public spaces kept in order by an organic knot of sidewalks paved in light grey stone, which rises up to become the facade of the building itself, a sinuous white mass of conical forms that house the museum, along with four theaters, an education center, archival space, and more, totaling about 400,000 square feet.

It's less of a building than a sponge, a sticky substance that curves through the lakefront and carves out buildings, parks, and sidewalks where it wants them. The idea, Ma told me today, was to turn an area that feels like a warren of parking and backstreets into useable public space. "This should be a successful public park," he said. "Right now, it's parking." It rises up to cover a parking lot and through-street, then dips down to create an outdoor amphitheater for screenings.
Quote:
Visitors will enter the museum and see a huge, naturally-lit white cone, the walk upwards through gallery spaces until they arrive at a metallic 360-degree observation deck and restaurant, which will be free to the public to visit—a "new way to view the city," says the architect.
Still very preliminary, they will now have a webcam at their desk that will provide constant updates to their latest tweeks to the project. Should be interesting:

Quote:
Ma and his collaborators— still have a long ways to go before these early ideas are made real. Now the team will go into schematic design and, next spring, present a final proposal to the city.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 4:28 AM

All that green space will be pointless if they can't get people to it. This puts a lot of pressure on the transportation committee to get it right, because with the current situation there's no reason I or any city dwellers I know would go there for park leisure instead of Grant or Lincoln parks.

Looking at the site on the map, it's frustrating how close this will be to, say, the X/O-cum-townhomes site on Prairie, yet because of the train tracks and street situation it would be an arduous and roundabout trek to get between them.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 4:33 AM

The Lucas design reminds me of the early Ralph McQuarrie concept art for Alderaan.

Avant garde is good, but I think they can do better.

For reference:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_I..._Wars_Universe

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 4:35 AM
Chicago 21st Century

Yes, it looks like the Guggenheim --it looks like a lot of museums. I think it looks like any dull 2000's WHITE, oozy-shaped "futuristic," "bold" designs. Zaha Hadid, Diller Scofidio + Renfro, MAD. It's all the same story. This looks so bland.

If this is what the Lucas Museum comes up with, it doesn't give me hope for Related and the Spire Site.

Walking up to that might also feel like walking up to splash mountain.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 5:27 AM

Hi all, first time poster here.

Looking at the site plan on the Lucas Museum website, it looks as though the Waldron parking deck just south of Soldier Field will be sticking around. Is this likely to be part of the final plan? I thought part of Rahm's pitch on this to the naysayers was that all of that parking would be turned into green space- or maybe that was just the south parking lot?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 5:42 AM

Can't get over the resemblance to Space Mountain. Take away the fins, and it's really close. http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Space_M...8Disneyland%29

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 8:41 AM
BANNED

http://gizmodo.com

Fucking. Epic.

MAD continues to impress. Their work is really non-stop genius. This kind of shares a similar aesthetic with their art museum in Pingtan. I can't wait to see it develop!

This is a real game-changer IMO and will hopefully help put us back on the architectural map after decades in decline.

If only this were paired with something Calatrava... Spire or otherwise... nonetheless...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 1:35 PM
dream fast

That's great how the public can walk on the roof... the top concept makes a killer skateboard run.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 1:45 PM

I like how the walkways turn into the facade. otherwise it looks like whatever creatures landed the spaceship on soldier field just set up camp...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 2:20 PM

I really like the early designs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive