HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Roosevelt University Dormitory in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 1:52 PM
BANNED

^^^ I love CNA, I don't get what people's deal is when it comes to color...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 2:04 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
CNA never gets any love. Even Kamin dislikes the color.

Am i the only person here who actually, affirmatively likes CNA?
no, i definitely LOVE CNA as well, but its bright red color and placement at the "front" of the skyline does make it stick out in a way that no other 600' building in the skyline does (and that's not a bad thing). my point was that this new dorm tower could never come anywhere close to sticking out and drawing attention to itself the way CNA does.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 2:58 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
no, i definitely LOVE CNA as well, but its bright red color and placement at the "front" of the skyline does make it stick out in a way that no other 600' building in the skyline does (and that's not a bad thing). my point was that this new dorm tower could never come anywhere close to sticking out and drawing attention to itself the way CNA does.
That's pretty much exactly why I hate it. It is just a massive fugly red building with all this prominence on the skyline, particularly from Grant Park.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChicago View Post
That's pretty much exactly why I hate it. It is just a massive fugly red building with all this prominence on the skyline, particularly from Grant Park.
I love the CNA too.... so why is it OK to 'stick out' by being tall (i.e. willis, hancock, etc.) but not by use of color?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 3:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChicago View Post
It is just a massive fugly red building with all this prominence on the skyline,
massive? check

prominent? check

red? double check

fugly? no way, jose. there's not a damn thing i find fugly about that fine structure.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 3:24 PM

^^^Agreed, this building is definitely a well known and iconic structure for Chicago. Many people I know outside of this area know it simply as "The Red Building".

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 4:11 PM
Show me the blueprints

The only thing I find ugly about CNA is the sign itself that they stuck on there a few years back. A building like that needs no logo—especially not a bad one.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 5:54 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The only thing I find ugly about CNA is the sign itself that they stuck on there a few years back. A building like that needs no logo—especially not a bad one.
That is a beef of mine as well - not just CNA but Loop building signage in general. Let's all just be thankful that Roosevelt hasn't tried to put its logo on the Auditorium Building tower.

-----

Anyone have add'l dorm renderings of the view from the South with the Auditorium Building in the foreground?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 6:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Am i the only person here who actually, affirmatively likes CNA?
no. i do too.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 7:55 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
That is a beef of mine as well - not just CNA but Loop building signage in general. Let's all just be thankful that Roosevelt hasn't tried to put its logo on the Auditorium Building tower.

-----

Anyone have add'l dorm renderings of the view from the South with the Auditorium Building in the foreground?
Well I can't totally agree with you there. As a graphic designer, I beleive that succesful intigration of signage and architecture is accomplishable, and many times beneficial. Pru 1 was designed to accomidate at large sign on its south face, it wasn't an afterthought. Would the Drake be the more spectacular from LSD without the awesome neon sign on the roof? Who doesn't love the Santa Fe sign? Some buildings just need signage, unfortunitely with time, many have forgotten the 'art' behind this intigration of signage and building.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 11:09 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Well I can't totally agree with you there. As a graphic designer, I beleive that succesful intigration of signage and architecture is accomplishable, and many times beneficial. Pru 1 was designed to accomidate at large sign on its south face, it wasn't an afterthought. Would the Drake be the more spectacular from LSD without the awesome neon sign on the roof? Who doesn't love the Santa Fe sign? Some buildings just need signage, unfortunitely with time, many have forgotten the 'art' behind this intigration of signage and building.
Yeah - no, I agree with you 100%. I'm a big fan of signage too, and the examples you cite are all faves of mine. Just not on the Sullivan. It'd have to be handled very delicately (could be very cool though if done well).

My beef is with some of the more mawkish recent additions, like Chase.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 5:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Just not on the Sullivan. It'd have to be handled very delicately (could be very cool though if done well).
Yeah but I'm pretty sure that can't even happen since the Sullivan is Landmarked and that would be a major visual alteration which would quickly be shut down by the Landmarks commission or whoever controls that stuff.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 5:32 PM
dream fast

Another cousin of this project from Westsidelife.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...129618&page=23

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 6:35 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Yeah but I'm pretty sure that can't even happen since the Sullivan is Landmarked and that would be a major visual alteration which would quickly be shut down by the Landmarks commission or whoever controls that stuff.
Yeah - I really meant that just as a hypothetical.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 9:36 PM

I'm all for making the CNA building less visible.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 9:54 PM

That's a dope design for a dorm.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 2:15 PM

March 17

Installing some serious stuff to hold the old facade.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 5:53 PM

Yikes, a bunch of precision work here. You got a facade of a very old building that needs to be stabilized while a building comes down next door. So glad that ugly grey beast is coming down. The new tower is a beautiful replacement IMO.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 11:37 PM

Roosevelt Tower

I don't have a scanner, otherwise I'd do it myself. I just received my Roosevelt alumnus mag today, and it has a bit of info about the forthcoming tower. There are some good renderings there, including one Photoshopped double-page spread showing it in the context of the south Loop skyline from Grant Park. If you're an alum or know someone who is, try to get hold of the current issue and post the pic for all to see.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 2:29 AM
Urbane observer

This rendering?

Separate thread here.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; Apr 7, 2010 at 2:49 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive