HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 10:01 PM

Regarding any and all of the discussion about the spire, be it for or against the mast (and to be frank - that is what it is), I leave everyone with this.

A wonderful song on the top of one of my favorite towers before our current predicament was even a fever dream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Hez25fFrg

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Regarding any and all of the discussion about the spire, be it for or against the mast (and to be frank - that is what it is), I leave everyone with this.

A wonderful song on the top of one of my favorite towers before our current predicament was even a fever dream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Hez25fFrg
Also happens to be the best song ever full stop. Well, for me.

With this, my opinion is that 1, 2, 3, and 4 WTC Don't replace the twins. The memorial replaces the twins. These are office towers for business, and the memorial is to reflect on those terrible events of over 11 years ago.

Sure, the mast is ugly. But then again, some of the ugliness is just things like temporary platforms on the mast, that will be gone. Sure, it's a big hulk of steel on a pretty featureless building, but it's something. I quite like the way the tower fits in to the skyline. Despite being very 'bland' in its design, it somehow suits the area. A simple, gleaming structure. I'm happy with it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman92 View Post
With this, my opinion is that 1, 2, 3, and 4 WTC Don't replace the twins. The memorial replaces the twins. These are office towers for business, and the memorial is to reflect on those terrible events of over 11 years ago.
Well said. These new Towers could never replace the originals for sure. They are new buildings that's it. One WTC is the marker for downtown but it can't replace the originals. No one here asked for 9/11 to happen. I still wish it never happened. What we had before was fine the way it was. This Tower sure is looking great though. Even though the base is a concrete fortress the glass makes it look absolutely stunning. The mast isn't too bad, it's better than nothing. I'm sure the PA will pay off the CTBUH with our toll money to make this building 1,776 feet. Durst and the PA should have never got involved with changing the design. It was necessary for the NYPD to show concern for truck bombs at the base but everything else should have been left alone.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 6:03 AM

without a doubt the new WTC possesses the sheer dominance that the original had, which to many was their most attractive quality.

One World Trade Center by NYMAN2010 on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 3:15 PM

1 WTC turned out to be a beautiful building. It's not even finished yet.

_MG_6699 by howe2skate72 on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 8:19 PM
BANNED

I think it's all right. Iv'e only seen pictures of it. I think their choice of glass was a mistake, and some views of this building look really wimpy. The old design was a classic, this one is going to take some time. IMO.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8pickingusernames View Post
I think it's all right. Iv'e only seen pictures of it. I think their choice of glass was a mistake, and some views of this building look really wimpy. The old design was a classic, this one is going to take some time. IMO.
Well, the twins also took some time. So, guess you could consider them equal when it comes to popular opinon.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 2:47 AM

Quote:
I wasn't so sure of the new 1 WTC, even when seeing it under construction around 18 months ago. I was such a fan of the Twins that this didn't compare for me. However, after seeing it in person again a few days ago, I have to say I love it now. It will never have the same presence and dominance of the Twins, but it is a perfect replacement.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 12:55 AM
BANNED

^ Iv'e never seen it in person, which totally sucks. It's probably more impressive in person. I really dislike the view of it from afar and from the ESB. The twins looked much better in pictures, their sheer size and unchanged shape. The tapering is a big poo.

Last edited by ih8pickingusernames; Mar 28, 2013 at 1:14 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 3:59 AM
Come As You Are

If the new 1WTC didn't look a bit awkward from certain angles due to tapering, it would have been perfect (although a base cladding with a closer colour to the main cladding would have helped)

2WTC is perfect.
3WTC is pretty good (I haven't really looked into this tower much)
4 WTC would have been perfect if it was not so fat.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 5:05 AM

I would have liked 1 WTC much better without the tapering. Especially now, with the square base and skeletal spire

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 11:47 AM

I like it a lot more than the London Shard myself. The shard doesnt do it for me.

I remember the Twins falling, one of the worst days in my life. I was paralyzed for three days. I had two young boys at the time and this seemed like the end of an era, which it certainly was. I love New York, keep on truckin'.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 7:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
I like it a lot more than the London Shard myself. The shard doesnt do it for me.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 8:33 PM
don't *meddle*...

The Shard looks tall because London has got so few skyscrapers. Put it in Midtown (or Lower Manhattan for that matter) and it would barely stand out, i.e. break the plateau of 700 - 800 footers.

http://wynn2minn.blogspot.co.at/

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 2:39 AM

i think it's simple and elegant. not sure how it's going to look once it's neighbors arrive - part of what makes it special, like it's predecessors, is how much it stands out.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 12:19 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ditnow View Post
Not a native New Yorker, but a New York resident who lived here on 9/11 and went through that day. From time to time I shed a tear on how shitty and meaningless this building is, and marvel at how mediocrities like David Childs are given important commissions.
What could have been. Thank god it wasn't and this was far from the worst design proposed.

Daniel Libeskind's "Memory Foundations" from 2002

http://inhabitat.com/nyc/the-tower-t...reedom-tower7/

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 1:57 AM
BANNED

Yeah, so glad that didn't end up being the final design and I'm sure Libeskind thought about that too. It was the master plan they were after and his master plan seemed good enough to be built where the former WTC complex stood. The Freedom Tower design he proposed looks like a piece of shit that came out of his ass like seriously horrible design. David Childs did the right thing with his design and then the NYPD, PA, and Durst made their "changes" too. All in all I'm just glad we're getting something built there. To make it just a memorial did not seem right but a memorial was needed for sure. To build office towers there lets the world know that because of what happened that buildings can still be built there and I'm sure the innocent people who died would want business to continue there even though I'm sure others were fearful because of the first WTC Bombing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
The Freedom Tower design he proposed looks like a piece of shit that came out of his ass.
Where else does shit come from.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 30, 2013 at 11:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 3:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
To build office towers there lets the world know that because of what happened that buildings can still be built there and I'm sure the innocent people who died would want business to continue there
How do you know??????????o_O

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 4:54 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:

Quote:
The Freedom Tower design he proposed looks like a piece of shit that came out of his ass.
Where else does shit come from.
Thanks for making me laugh so hard, I was wiping tears in laughter over your response!!

The towers we did wind up getting are quite good.
I will admit, I find the glass a bit boring.

A tower like 432 Park Avenue is much more appealing, as well as One57.

I will pass judgement after the crowning spire is complete.
Who knows? It just may surprise all of us after all.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 1:03 PM

Quote:
How do you know??????????o_O
Well like I said not everyone that died would have wanted that. People who worked in the Twin Towers were fearful after the 1993 Bombing. My neighbor was an electrician there and he misses it all the time. I'm sure you would have differing opinions from the folks who perished that day. Perhaps some would want business to continue and perhaps others wouldn't after what happened there on 9/11 & 1993. Personally I'm surprised there are tenants signed on, you would think everyone would be afraid to work there but clearly there are people who aren't you know. One WTC symbolizes business returning to the area. I think it was a good master plan to have the Memorial, Museum, Office Towers, Transportation Hub, Retail, etc all in one area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture