HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
What an amazing day.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg

Just an incredible shift happening downtown.

Families in the park downtown!

https://youtu.be/EEm7IY6wrSw

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 4:59 PM

I was at the downtown market yesterday so I popped by the new park to check it out and congratulate both Cold and GreenSPACE for their parts in seeing this come to fruition. It was great to see lots of people with kiddies and doggies. Looks good, and it will look even better once the trees are fully grown and the community garden is in full use next spring. I still think public washrooms would be nice, but I noticed the Renaissance Hotel just down the road so that's probably the best option. I likely won't use it much myself since I am in the river valley but the nearby residents certainly will.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 5:13 PM
Community Guy

Interestingly enough, we had multiple dog owners who drove in from outside of the Downtown to take advantage of the fenced off-leash. Perhaps it will become a bit of an attraction as well.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 3:25 PM

Early days. Post-cornfest, see that it isn't much being used except by dog owners.

But, early days for sure.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 3:48 PM
Community Guy

Many people are still not aware that it is open. I expect it to be a popular lunch spot and once the gardens open next spring a community hub.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 8:29 PM

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 9:18 PM

Sweet. Not sure why, but I had expected it to be sited closer to the intersection, but will see first hand in a couple of hours.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 3:32 AM
Community Guy

Beautiful.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 8:27 AM

It'd be great if the money allocated for public art could be used/incorporated as some striking functional addition to development and not just these random "things" that are being placed around the city. Does anyone honestly think this squiggly line is going to make a lasting impression on anyone... If you think of memorable or well known public art from around the world, it's popular because you can interact with it, or it has some recognizable meaning, or historical importance. You can literally walk by a ton of replicas of this exact sculpture by the fine arts building at U of A. I wonder if the money has to be used to create a stand alone piece. Has anyone been to the wavey wooden waterfront walkways in Toronto harbour? Too me that's an example or "art" through design. I know that this is a very small scale piece so it's limited what you can do, but come on. This is awful. Please, why can't we put this out by the whitemud and bring the shiny balls here!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 1:07 PM

mcc16, it is sooo unfortunate you were not part of the community group that participated in development of ADP. The absence of having input from you given your sole knowledge of what constitutes good or even great art is a sad loss for the community - and humanity.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 1:16 PM
Community Guy

^^you do realize that it is Alex standing in the wind/crossing the finish line of a race. I love the colour, size, design and presence.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 3:29 PM
Derp

A life-size statue of the man himself would be great, is that part of the plan? I feel like it would pack a bit more inspirational value to go along with the plaque telling of his accomplishments and why he's a significant figure in Canadian history than a bunch of red steel ribbons flapping in the breeze
Or is there some sort of significance there that I'm missing?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
A life-size statue of the man himself would be great, is that part of the plan? I feel like it would pack a bit more inspirational value to go along with the plaque telling of his accomplishments and why he's a significant figure in Canadian history than a bunch of red steel ribbons flapping in the breeze
Or is there some sort of significance there that I'm missing?
A great looking statute would have been better IMO. This art is not horrible by any means.

Hes such important figure in Canadian history. I think he deserves this.

What would happen if we swapped out the Gretzky statue with a flowing red ribboned thingy

We could call it (Gretz flying down the left wing blasting a shot over Vernons shoulder)

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 4:22 PM

Yes to all that believe this could have been something more significant!

There should have been an actual stone statue of Alex Decoteau on top of a fountain (considering the park did get running water anyway). A nice statue of him suited up with a sword or something. Or better yet as you explained it Ian, an actual statue of him crossing a finish line breaking a ribbon.

I'm not saying the art piece sucks, it is ok and one of the better ones. But it could have been much better and more memorable. Sick and tired of this ABSTRACT shit...

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 4:32 PM

Why not both the abstract sculpture and a bronze statue? IMO there's no such thing as too much public art!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 5:02 PM

My point is that when people see the current piece, they will not know nor care who it is meant to represent. If done better it could have been educational. Anyways, park is beautiful, and I'd didn't mean to take away from that. Just, IN MY OPINION, which as far as I know I am still welcome to have, this art piece and the similar red circle planned/installed(?) by the arena are just basic, boring and forgettable.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 3:48 AM
Community Guy

This was NOT intended to be a memorial folks, not a specific piece to commemorate his life, but rather something to celebrate it.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 2:39 PM

Ok sure, regarding this specific art piece. But it doesn't take away the fact that $$ has been spent on yet another abstract, with no plans of anything else anywhere.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 3:49 PM
Community Guy

Huh? It was specific to the park and to Alex.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 4:22 PM
Urban Advocate

Art is and always will be subjective. This piece reminds me of the famous Flamingo sculpture in Chicago. Hell, most memorable sculptures in that city alone fit the the description of abstract.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton