HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 2:10 AM

[St. John's] Completed Projects

The purpose of this thread is to provide a space to discuss completed projects in the greater St. John's area. In the interest of getting this thread created, I've only added some of Newfoundland's tallest highrises. I can add some more recent projects as soon as I get the time, or you guys can just add them below. Whatever works!

Confederation Building - 1959 - 11 Stories

Source: http://www.nrgnet.com/Newfoundland02/large3593.jpg

John Cabot Building - 1992 - 13 Stories (L) and Cabot Place I - 1987 - 12 Stories (R)

Source: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6225/6...669b0af7_z.jpg

Fortis Building - 1969 - 12 Stories

Source: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3037/2...ba402b79_z.jpg

Delta Hotel St. John's - 1987 - 13 Stories

Source: http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...w-of-hotel.jpg

Scotia Centre - 1986 - 11 Stories

Source: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mDprj5-kLS...Photo-2006.jpg

Southcott Hall - 1964 - 15 Stories

Source: http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1208/1...d3520458_z.jpg

TD Place - 1981 - 10 Stories

Source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...a/TD_Place.jpg

Atlantic Place - 1975 - 9 Stories

Source: http://www.chezcora.com/docs/sizes/4...c-Place-_2.jpg

The Rooms - 2004 - 5 Stories

Source: http://blu.stb.s-msn.com/i/EB/6CFC41...8014F562EC.jpg

Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland - 1982 - 9 Stories

Source: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/...ab43b75a2a.jpg

Last edited by upnotout; Apr 25, 2012 at 6:42 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:42 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Confederation Building isn't going to look like that any longer, what will people think of it?

And - before a mod comes along, you should try and credit the original source for each pics per forum rules (just paste the links for each photo).

Alternatively I have some photos of my own which you could use freely if necessary.

I've always liked the Cabot "twins", they seem to add the most to the downtown skyline and are good looking towers for the 80's era.

In fact I like most of these buildings in context, probably because highrises are rare, therefore somewhat unique in St.John's.

They are sparse reminders that St.John's is a city, not a small town.

Another comment I have is that St.John's is well represented for it's population in terms of office buildings, a bit less so for hotels, but really underperforms in residential buildings both in terms of density and design.

Last edited by Architype; Apr 25, 2012 at 5:25 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 5:29 AM
ARTchitecture

what is the confederation building going to look like?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 5:36 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
what is the confederation building going to look like?
All the teal green panels (or is it seafoam or patina?) and clear glass is being replaced with dark blue panels and, I believe, tinted glass. The whole front has been covered by tarps this year.

The brick is being reinforced as well.

This article shows the comparison:
http://www.cbc.ca/nl/blogs/whatodds/...tion-building/

This one describes more:
http://www.thetelegram.com/Arts---Li...ion-building/1

Last edited by Architype; Apr 25, 2012 at 5:50 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 6:28 AM
ARTchitecture

So they're doing the entire building or just the east wing? Someone should make a render of what the entire building will look like. It's unfortunately the ugliest legislature in the country (other than Yukon's)... but the picture in the one article you sent shows some very promising results, replacing the green spandrel with black glass. Hopefully the entire building will be a big improvement.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 6:34 AM
ARTchitecture

oh yeah and what is TD place supposed to look like when it's done?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:15 PM

Thanks for creating this thread upnotout, it was an great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Another comment I have is that St.John's is well represented for it's population in terms of office buildings, a bit less so for hotels, but really underperforms in residential buildings both in terms of density and design.
I agree - I think we won't be seeing many, if, any, larger office buildings being proposed for a while at least. I think Fortis, Deacon, and 351 Water will help balance the office space crunch downtown. As for residential highrises, this city definitely underperforms. I hope we will see a few of these proposed in the near future.

Anyways, back to the topic of this thread.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
oh yeah and what is TD place supposed to look like when it's done?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe TD building will be getting a grey cladding. I think they are still in the process of removing the brick and replacing windows. I don't think there has been any 'final product' pics released. If I come across one I'll post it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe TD building will be getting a grey cladding. I think they are still in the process of removing the brick and replacing windows. I don't think there has been any 'final product' pics released. If I come across one I'll post it.
I thought it was supposed to be grey, but there appears to be new brick on the building on water street's lower floors that resembles a lighter red/brown than was there before. Can anyone confirm this? If so, there's an office building in Calgary that will be identical to TD place (I remember someone showing the google streetview of the Calgary office in the general St. John's thread last year).

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Confederation Building isn't going to look like that any longer, what will people think of it?

And - before a mod comes along, you should try and credit the original source for each pics per forum rules (just paste the links for each photo).

I've always liked the Cabot "twins", they seem to add the most to the downtown skyline and are good looking towers for the 80's era.
Thanks for the heads up! Totally forgot in the rush to get the thread up.

At a basic architectural level, I actually don't mind the Confederation Building, book it certainly looks worse for wear at the moment. These renovations will really do a lot to spruce up the overall look of the building.

I totally agree with you on the Cabot "twins." They have a very modern look for something built in the late 80s/early 90s. That block, combined with the Delta, has great density. It'll look all the better with Fortis Place next door and 351 just down the street.

Last edited by upnotout; Apr 25, 2012 at 7:03 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 7:31 PM

Southcott Hall

I absolutely hate Southcott Hall. It looks so awkward there, especially with the new residential developments happening to the east of it.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 12:27 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Here are some more mostly recent developments.

Tiffany Village Building A, 2010

Dominion Stores, Lake Avenue, 2007

Kennys Pond Residence, 2009

The Narrows Condos, 2010

Hydro Place, 1989

Source - my photos

Last edited by Architype; Apr 28, 2012 at 5:26 AM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 12:29 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccanning View Post
I absolutely hate Southcott Hall. It looks so awkward there, especially with the new residential developments happening to the east of it.
It's almost 50 years old, so a bit dated now. I think the area surrounding the lake could easily accomodate some more highrise development. It seems the perfect place for it.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 12:39 AM

I like Southcott Hall, but it needs to be updated.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
It's almost 50 years old, so a bit dated now. I think the area surrounding the lake could easily accomodate some more highrise development. It seems the perfect place for it.
I totally agree! around the lake is the perfect place to have some high-rise buildings. Not office buildings as such but maybe some residential buildings. They can't complain about views then!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 3:54 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

It'd be nice if the Confederation Building doesn't look like a giant high school after the update. Hate the teal panels.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 5:06 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
It'd be nice if the Confederation Building doesn't look like a giant high school after the update. Hate the teal panels.
I think it will look less like a high school and more like a corporate headquarters.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 12:05 PM

I think it would be great if a few more storeys were added to Elizabeth Towers. I believe that building is being (or will be) converted from senior's apartments to condo units. That area is a prime location for residential high-rise construction and such proposals should be met with little resistance, well, in theory at least. Come to think of it, we are actually seeing a bit of density in that area with Tiffany Village condos et al. but more is needed.

Source: http://elizabethtowers.ca/gallery/

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 1:03 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I thought it was supposed to be grey, but there appears to be new brick on the building on water street's lower floors that resembles a lighter red/brown than was there before. Can anyone confirm this? If so, there's an office building in Calgary that will be identical to TD place (I remember someone showing the google streetview of the Calgary office in the general St. John's thread last year).
At 8th and 8th? I've been passing this one every day this week on my way to work.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
At 8th and 8th? I've been passing this one every day this week on my way to work.
Wow!!!! For a split second I actually thought that was TD building until I noticed the taller buildings surrounding it . I think someone may have posted a pic of this building on the general thread a little while back. They're almost carbon copies of each other!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 2:16 PM

Quote:
That's the one!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's