HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 12:49 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ One thing is that there is a reported labour shortage in the construction industry, so it would be reasonable to think that once the current large projects are completed it would be easier to get more started. At the same time there are maybe 8 or more other proposed projects downtown which have not started yet either.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 12:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I drove by it this morning just to see if anything had changed, and it hasn't - at least not that I could tell.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2012, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyLawrenceDylan14 View Post
I wish Deacon Investments will soon start.. it's getting pretty late.
I decided to bring cody's quote over to this thread. I doubt we'll see much movement on the Deacon project this fall, maybe some land clearing and geotechnical work, but it seems to be getting too late in the season. Let's hope this one gets off the ground bright and early this spring.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I decided to bring cody's quote over to this thread. I doubt we'll see much movement on the Deacon project this fall, maybe some land clearing and geotechnical work, but it seems to be getting too late in the season. Let's hope this one gets off the ground bright and early this spring.
Yeah, it's probably a bit too late in the season to start erecting the building now. Hopefully it gets started early next spring! There may also be a shortage of workers for deacon/hilton because of the construction of 351 and Fortis. Maybe after 351 and fortis's "structural shells" are completed there may be more workers available to start other projects.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Yeah, it's probably a bit too late in the season to start erecting the building now. Hopefully it gets started early next spring! There may also be a shortage of workers for deacon/hilton because of the construction of 351 and Fortis. Maybe after 351 and fortis's "structural shells" are completed there may be more workers available to start other projects.
I think it's still going through the processes ... maybe a bit to do with labour .. however I dont think it's too late .. look at the the stage metro place (parking garage) is at .. and the temps have been great so theres alot they can still do before they would stop for a little while during winter (and I've noticed that much of the construction doesnt stop for winter anymore.. I dont expect fortis place or 351 to stop) ... hopefully we will see some stuff soon

I cant wait to see the proposals after the municipal plan is out

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
I think it's still going through the processes ... maybe a bit to do with labour .. however I dont think it's too late .. look at the the stage metro place (parking garage) is at .. and the temps have been great so theres alot they can still do before they would stop for a little while during winter (and I've noticed that much of the construction doesnt stop for winter anymore.. I dont expect fortis place or 351 to stop) ... hopefully we will see some stuff soon

I cant wait to see the proposals after the municipal plan is out

Is metro place the Henry bell development?? And when is the municipal plan out and why do you expect it to being alot of proposals??

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 8:31 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Is metro place the Henry bell development?? And when is the municipal plan out and why do you expect it to being alot of proposals??
He meant Metropark, the name of the parking garage at Henry Bell.
I wouldn't expect construction to stop, maybe it will just slow down in the winter, but it's more likely for new ones to start in the spring.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 4:33 PM

Call me crazy but I have a feeling we could be see a new re-design of this building. Other than a sign posted on the property back in August, there hasn't been any movement on this project at all. I'd love to see something with a smaller floor to area ratio - may be cut some of the footprint and add a few extra stories. I don't know, may be it's wishful thinking on my part.

A part of me wonders if the developer is waiting for the updated municipal plan to see where they can go with it.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 6:11 PM

I wouldn't mind adding a few extra stories, but I really like the current design. My guess as to why there has been no movement is labor shortage, but my guess is a good as yours.

I don't think the current design would work if the building much taller, but if it was to be redesigned, I would love for them to add another few stories of condos.

In regards to the municipal plan, what are the chances of council changing the height regulations is the west end. It is something I would love to see, but for some reason I highly doubt it will happen. I'm not getting my hopes up.

So, personally I hope the original proposal does go ahead. The deacon building is my second favorite project on the go right now (first being fortis place) but I'm not sure how the brick will look in person when it is finished. but I would not mind it at all if it was to get an attractive redesign that adds a few more residential floors.

Basically I'm indifferent

Edit: after revisiting the renders/view plane analysis I think the deacon building design could work well with a few more floors. We'll have to wait and see

Last edited by Townie709; Oct 29, 2012 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 9:02 PM

Maybe the developer is trying to secure some tenants first. The billboard they put up on the site was basically an advertisement for leasing opportunities.

After all, how much demand do you think there is in the City right now for Class A office space? Deacon may have been a bit late because of 351 Water, Fortis, Tower Corporate Campus and also due to Federal government cut-backs.

As Muskrat Falls and Hebron develop in the coming months/year I'm sure the demand for office space will increase but, at least for now, this could be why we haven't seen anything happening with this one.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 9:43 PM

That is much more likely than the developer wanting to redesign the building.

But I do think there is still a need for Class A office space in the downtown, even after 351 and Fortis are opened. Last time I heard, I believe Class A office space occupancies in the downtown were at 0.2%.

But even if the need is not there now, like you said it will be in the near future.

Off topic, but what exactly differentiates Class A office space from Class B. I know the fortis building is considered class a, but the TD building just across the street is Class B.

If the only difference is the volume of space a company wishes to occupy, and price, we should look at building more Class B office space in the down town to attract smaller businesses to our downtown!

Back on topic.. I'm sure Deacon will have enough tenants lined up for construction to start in the spring. It is a shame that it wasn't started this fall though

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 10:40 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

As I understand it, Class A is not necessarily better than B, it is just in a landmark building. The building's location or style must be iconic.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 11:05 PM

Your closer to right than I am.. Here's a good article on office space classifications.

http://realestate.about.com/od/comme...ce_classes.htm

I take back wanting to build class b office space downtown.. Class A all the way!!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 1:43 AM

Class A office space is currently 0% in St. John's. Deacon proposed their building after Fortis and 351 so they would have already looked at the market. 351 is supposedly all booked up, If I remember correctly Fortis' original proposal was to help them expand their operations so they'll probably take up a bit of Fortis Tower. As well it was only recently that Exon Mobil was talking again about needing office space.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
If I remember correctly Fortis' original proposal was to help them expand their operations so they'll probably take up a bit of Fortis Tower. As well it was only recently that Exon Mobil was talking again about needing office space.
After Fortis Place's completion, the Fortis staff is moving out of the Fortis Building on Water Street until the retrofitting is complete. I'm not sure if they plan on moving back to the original Fortis Building after the retrofitting or remaining in Fortis Place. Either way, they be running their operations out of Fortis Place for a while.

(That's alot of Fortis's in one Paragraph!!)

But , like you said, I'm sure Deacon Investments studied the office space market before putting forward their proposal

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 11:13 PM

I noticed in the paper a few days ago a legal notice regarding quieting of titles to that property so I gather from that they are moving forward and clearing up any legal claims. Another sign might be the fact that Dean MacDonald has too many irons in the business fire to run for the Liberals. Hopefully they will break ground by the Spring.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 11:32 PM

Yeah, I'd love to see this one started sooner rather than later! Thanks for sharing

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 1:22 AM

Anyone know how I can access the PDF for this project? The link is broken for me and isn't compatible with the city's new website. I tried to navigate to it using the website but that didn't work

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Anyone know how I can access the PDF for this project? The link is broken for me and isn't compatible with the city's new website. I tried to navigate to it using the website but that didn't work
I just checked as well, it seems all the PDFs links originally posted from the city's website are now broken. I guess this happened when they overhauled their website. I'll continue to search around to see if there's a new link.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 3:29 AM

Just figured that I'd share this here so we don't all think the proposal is dead; I got email confirmation that construction is scheduled for next summer. I'm guessing that could mean anything from breaking ground in the spring, to nothing at all until late summer. I guess we'll have to see, but at least we know construction is planned for 2013! That re-assures me a bit!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's