HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 11:20 PM

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 1:12 AM

Too funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 2:49 PM

I said it before. I heard that they had some aggressive expansion plans for the metro area. I'd say that this is just the beginning.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 2:59 PM

The Avalon Mall does make sense for a location, it's just kind of funny how right now there will be two areas with 3 Starbucks within a few minutes from one another (Kenmount Road, and then Stavanger/Aberdeen/Torbay)

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 1:26 PM

They really should look into the Topsail Road/Village Mall area and Mount Pearl for other potential Starbucks locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
The Avalon Mall does make sense for a location, it's just kind of funny how right now there will be two areas with 3 Starbucks within a few minutes from one another (Kenmount Road, and then Stavanger/Aberdeen/Torbay)

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 2:36 PM

I'm surprised there isn't one in 351 Water...I bet there are a lot of Starbucks fans in that building.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 5:26 PM

I guess they figure the one in Atlantic Place will do.

Always thought the old Wordplay building on Duckworth St. would be a good location for one too downtown. Just have to repaint over those horrible Miami Beach colours the building currently have though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I'm surprised there isn't one in 351 Water...I bet there are a lot of Starbucks fans in that building.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 5:37 PM

I’m going to throw this comment in here in the restaurant thread even though it may apply to many other threads, even those not yet thought of.

Friday night I drove through Quidi Vidi Village and was pleased to see Mallard Cottage full (or so it appeared) and dozens of people enjoying the evening outside at the Quidi Vidi Brewery, but I was very disappointed to see the former Flakehouse restaurant falling into disrepair with their prime waterside property roped off dare anyone use it for parking.

When is City Council going to stand up and make something happen down there? I recall seeing a document a few years ago that laid out a great plan to enhance the area and provide more opportunities for public access and business/tourism opportunities. The Plantation is a lovely (although underutilized) building and there is certainly room for similar structures around the water. I realize that there is a history regarding what can and can’t be done with the Flakehouse but to let it stand there falling apart before our eyes is just plain stupid.

I’m tired of hearing the “leave our little village” alone arguments, you’re in the middle of the city, why not drag yourself out of the 19th century.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 7:18 PM

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Everyone was all up in arms with the lack of parking down near Mallard Cottage yet the full empty parking lot for the former flake house is pretty much across the street. Couldn't they just lease it out for parking. Its shameful that this place just sits there rotting away. Laws need to change to prevent this kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I’m going to throw this comment in here in the restaurant thread even though it may apply to many other threads, even those not yet thought of.

Friday night I drove through Quidi Vidi Village and was pleased to see Mallard Cottage full (or so it appeared) and dozens of people enjoying the evening outside at the Quidi Vidi Brewery, but I was very disappointed to see the former Flakehouse restaurant falling into disrepair with their prime waterside property roped off dare anyone use it for parking.

When is City Council going to stand up and make something happen down there? I recall seeing a document a few years ago that laid out a great plan to enhance the area and provide more opportunities for public access and business/tourism opportunities. The Plantation is a lovely (although underutilized) building and there is certainly room for similar structures around the water. I realize that there is a history regarding what can and can’t be done with the Flakehouse but to let it stand there falling apart before our eyes is just plain stupid.

I’m tired of hearing the “leave our little village” alone arguments, you’re in the middle of the city, why not drag yourself out of the 19th century.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 10:48 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 12:12 PM

Not at all surprised by this development. Probably a wise decision due to the bad publicity that it originally incited when Hooters was first announced, whether it was warranted or not. I honestly don't think St. John's is a hooters type of town really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 12:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Everyone was all up in arms with the lack of parking down near Mallard Cottage yet the full empty parking lot for the former flake house is pretty much across the street. Couldn't they just lease it out for parking. Its shameful that this place just sits there rotting away. Laws need to change to prevent this kind of thing.
Not being from the area, I'm not familiar with the narrative but frequently in situations like this where disused parking lots are roped off, it's because of risk management issues. Just think if your elderly Aunt Matilda happened to trip on the uneven pavement in the parking lot and fell and broke her hip. Who would be liable? Lawyers (vultures that they are) would be sure to make someone pay. The owners of the abandoned lot should have been able to reasonably foresee that someone might attempt to park there (illegally) and fall and injure themselves getting out of their car. To not foresee this constitutes gross negligence on the owners part. A lawsuit ensues and the owners of the property (or their insurance company) would be out tens of thousands of dollars.

The easiest way to avoid all of this is to rope off the property. I don't agree with this, but this is the current reality in litigious North American society. It's 10X worse in the States by the way - a country with more lawyers than the entire rest of the world combined!!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Good. Not against hooters, but it's really only for the novelty of the waitresses and not for the nice atmosphere or good food. Hopefully it is returned to a small concert venue. I am all for new restaurants but fear that downtown may soon become too saturated with them, especially when it comes to chain restaurants.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 12:22 AM

Starbucks Expansion

So! A manager at Starbucks just told me the following:

- Starbucks will be a location opening in the Avalon Mall late August, early September.
- Starbucks will be a third location in the east end, next to Harvey's.
- Starbucks will be a location opening next to Dairy Queen on Topsail Rd. I assume in the old KFC location?

The person didn't confirm any more opening downtown, or anymore opening on Kenmount Rd.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 3:46 PM

Cool to see Starbucks coming to the Topsail Rd area. Was wondering what was gonna happen to the old KFC there next to Dairy Queen. Though if the owners of Dairy Queen had been smart (based on how dumbly and run down DQ is, they're not), they would have grabbed up that old KFC location long ago, renovated and expanded the current old DQ. That DQ is always busy with traffic sometimes parked out on topsail road because the DQ is so small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspinK View Post
So! A manager at Starbucks just told me the following:

- Starbucks will be a location opening in the Avalon Mall late August, early September.
- Starbucks will be a third location in the east end, next to Harvey's.
- Starbucks will be a location opening next to Dairy Queen on Topsail Rd. I assume in the old KFC location?

The person didn't confirm any more opening downtown, or anymore opening on Kenmount Rd.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 12:14 PM

Noticed a construction fence gone up on a piece or property next to Tims on Ropewalk Lane and heard a rumour that it's gonna be a fast food joint? Anyone got on confirmation on this or what it might be?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Noticed a construction fence gone up on a piece or property next to Tims on Ropewalk Lane and heard a rumour that it's gonna be a fast food joint? Anyone got on confirmation on this or what it might be?
KFC??

Im not 100% on that particular location. But sounds right to me. They did have listed when the Stavanger Drive location opened. "Coming soon to Ropewalk Lane."

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 1:04 PM

Ahh ok. Yeah Ropewalk Lane is a pretty scuzzy area at the moment. It really needs to be fixed up. If only they would do something with that vacant and derelict old supermarket building and fix up the bowling alley. Its a bit of an eyesore for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post
KFC??

Im not 100% on that particular location. But sounds right to me. They did have listed when the Stavanger Drive location opened. "Coming soon to Ropewalk Lane."

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 2:59 PM

Noticed yesterday that work has begun on what is supposed to be a new Starbucks in the old KFC location next to DQ on Topsail Road. I think they are starting to gut the building inside from the look of the huge construction bin out front.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 5:12 PM

From a CBC tweet, it looks as if the Flakehouse is for sale. Hopefully someone will snap this up...but look out for the protests.

After how many years? The old Flake House Restaurant in Quidi Vidi has finally been put on the market #cbcnl http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvAr4uuIUAEmXHh.jpgby Chris O'Neill-Yates via twitter on 14/8/2014 at 13:27:12

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's