HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

View Poll Results: Do You support the referendum?
Yes 26 92.86%
No. There is a better way to do this. 0 0%
No. Too much transit. 0 0%
No. Not enough transit. 0 0%
No. Other reasons 2 7.14%
T-What? 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 4:01 AM

^Atlanta Magazine has been improving on a massive scale the past couple of years, imo. I never miss an issue.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micropundit View Post
Are you by any chance a redditor? I posted the same article over in the transportation subforum a few hours after you posted it here, just now noticed it though.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 3:28 PM

Can we still vote, or should this poll be trashed. LMAO

By the way, regional rail is the way to go, but metro Atlantans are to racially bias to ever consider such a thing. hahahahaha

You see, polls by special-interest groups can EASILY be dead wrong... I'm just sayin' lol

Oh, I forgot... I'll go ahead and vote in favor of the TSPLOST even though it's as dead as a doorknob.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 5:18 PM

I had to vote no. This is insane. The state wants to start with a regressive sales tax instead of changing the tax code in a more responsible way.

Perhaps a sales tax increase would still be needed at some point, but it should not be the starting point.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindFatSnake View Post
Can we still vote, or should this poll be trashed. LMAO

By the way, regional rail is the way to go, but metro Atlantans are to racially bias to ever consider such a thing. hahahahaha

You see, polls by special-interest groups can EASILY be dead wrong... I'm just sayin' lol

Oh, I forgot... I'll go ahead and vote in favor of the TSPLOST even though it's as dead as a doorknob.
Wow...it's very immature to gloat. I will never be able to take another one of your posts seriously.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
I had to vote no. This is insane. The state wants to start with a regressive sales tax instead of changing the tax code in a more responsible way.

Perhaps a sales tax increase would still be needed at some point, but it should not be the starting point.
Please explain this.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 11:23 PM

I mean just that. If the state had been more responsible in its tax code, it wouldn't be so far behind in infrastructure and now as the main revenue stream, they propose a regressive tax.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
I mean just that. If the state had been more responsible in its tax code, it wouldn't be so far behind in infrastructure and now as the main revenue stream, they propose a regressive tax.
And you think that's realistically going to change any time soon?

T-SPLOST wasn't perfect, but it was a decent starting point and the best shot for the region to start comprehensively addressing its traffic woes.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 1:17 AM

No I unfortunately I don't think it's going to change and in fact the rhetoric against it is far beyond even any form of taxation. It's quite a mess that we're in, but the tax, revenue and functioning of the state is an issue bigger than the transportation one. It's such a mess and they will fight any attempt on anything as evil "guv'ment."

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindFatSnake View Post
Absolute and total pure BS!

If you honestly believe this, you need to travel a little more.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2012, 1:57 PM

The more I think about it, I think that this defeat actually hurts the city less than it hurts the burbs. Getting around our galaxy of sprawl is not going to get any easier or less expensive, while intown areas will continue grow and gain amenities and become more livable. Or maybe I'm being too optimistic.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
The more I think about it, I think that this defeat actually hurts the city less than it hurts the burbs. Getting around our galaxy of sprawl is not going to get any easier or less expensive, while intown areas will continue grow and gain amenities and become more livable. Or maybe I'm being too optimistic.
It hurts the city in that a bunch of free money from the burbs won't be flowing this way; it helps the city because it can do what it wants to do for the best of the city without being beholden to the suburbs. Continue the beltline project, which will be fabulous, but do it on the city's own dime (with State and Fed funds if available.) Same with the Clifton corridor and streetcars. Continue to push for projects in the city that will strengthen the core - esp. infrastructure and education - and with continued gentrification, this city can possibly boom again with all of the frustrated suburbanites that may again see the value of denser living. A healthy body begins with a healthy core.

As for the suburbs, let them fix their own problems - let them strengthen their own cores. If they decide that inter county transit between suburbs is what they need more than a connection to downtown - bless them, they may be right.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 1:06 PM

RudyJK and SmArTaLlone, why do you guys talk about city vs. suburbs? The metro area (citys and suburbs) is one region and in order for the region to be functional, people need to be able to reliably get around to different locations within the region. The projects that are needed to improve regional mobility are there, they just don't have the funding required to construct them. That was the point of this referendum, to raise more money to get these things going. Now that is failed, these projects will take much longer (20-30 years) to get going. Voting against this tax was a "regressive" move for the region's future.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMidtowner View Post
RudyJK and SmArTaLlone, why do you guys talk about city vs. suburbs? The metro area (citys and suburbs) is one region and in order for the region to be functional, people need to be able to reliably get around to different locations within the region. The projects that are needed to improve regional mobility are there, they just don't have the funding required to construct them. That was the point of this referendum, to raise more money to get these things going. Now that is failed, these projects will take much longer (20-30 years) to get going. Voting against this tax was a "regressive" move for the region's future.
I talk about the city vs the suburbs because that happens to be the reality here, more so than any other place I've been. There is a great mistrust, and in many cases a downright disdain of everything having to do with the city by a healthy percentage of suburbanites and the debate over this referendum has proven that reality. From reading the blogs and comment sections, it is clear that many people voted against the referendum because they saw it as benefiting the city.

My statement was actually not intended as a city vs suburb. I was merely stating my belief that the city, which has been mostly stagnant while the region has boomed, is positioned to perform well in the coming years, in spite of the defeat of the TSPLOST.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 10:51 PM

smArTaLone - Trust me when I tell you that things in metro Detroit are on an entirely different level vs. here when it comes to this. It's beyond shocking when you are actually there, as in suburbanites actually trying to out do each other bragging about how many years it's been since they have ventured into the city.

Of course, not a very fair comparison to Atlanta, but still.......

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMidtowner View Post
I agree with what smArTaLlone replied. To deny that there is friction between the city and suburbs is to deny reality. TSplost was a boon for the city because it received so much of the goodies while the suburbs not so much

And speaking of distrust, the latest Beltline flap will cause a roar of 'I told you so's' from all corners. The mistrust and the abuse of funds continues...

http://www.ajc.com/news/beltline-chi...t-1501188.html

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta