HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
100%....to me its a bit to “Sterile & Boring” compared to how it was before the renos.
Never saw it before the update, but agree 100%. It does seem very sterile and boring. Although I love the fountains!

I think if the city wouldn't have dropped a naval frigate on the opposite end of the square (and actually took the time to design a proper central library), it would have made a huge difference.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 4:42 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
100%....to me its a bit to “Sterile & Boring” compared to how it was before the renos.
Yeah, I get they wanted to put more hardscaping, concrete, etc. in the square to make it easier to host events and festivals, but when neither is happening it is very barren and sterile, as you mentioned. If some more trees were planted in the middle of the square to outline a large area, or even just a couple of rows, it would make a big difference.

Many squares in Europe and Central and South America have hardscaping but manage to still have decent tree coverage, for instance. Maybe that can be looked at the for inevitable 30-year redevelopment of the Square in 2034 (lol).

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 1:58 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEG-Urbanist View Post
I'm all for investing in communities and making them better. But the "build it and they will come" mentality doesn't work.

Would have been a different story if they announced these improvements in conjunction with some major residential developments.

That money most likely could have funded all the Japser streetscaping between109 and 101. Obviously there must be a reason why they skipped doing the core downtown, but it drives me crazy. I cant stand seeing all those hideous green street assets everyday. And WTF is up with that green ball blob thingee on the Ave between 103 and 102?!?!? I literally want to take a sludge hammer and blow it out myself. lol
I literally just watched a nice Edmonton cityscape footage video on YouTube the other day and wondered the same thing. When were they installed? I noticed one of them was tagged with 'Atlas'.
Not sure if for Atlas in mythology or a reference to Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" or other meaning

Video Link

Green blob globes appear around 3 min mark

I sent the video link to a fellow SSP forumer (chris08876 from NJ--whose point of reference is New Jersey and NYC metro). I know he likes watching drone and cityscape footage of different cities. He barely knows anything about Calgary let alone Edmonton. He said "very cute and clean city. Looks so clean there. Like brand new"
And also: "it does have a striking appearance to an American city, somewhere in the Midwest, has that vibe, like if the Midwest met Austin TX. But it does look polished"

Anyway, interesting how native residents of a city can be justly critical and sometimes hyper critical of their city/hometown when outsiders see it as a beautiful place (of course 4K summertime video footage helps).

For what it's worth, Edmonton is one of my favourite cities, and I appreciate you Edmontonians/SSP forumers for allowing me to keep tabs on the place (unlike the imploded Calgary subforum lol)

Last edited by Wigs; Aug 31, 2023 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 2:17 AM
Great White Norf

I originally popped in to say the renderings look pretty good, that it looks like they really tried to make it a fun space for as many as possible given the size...then was taken off tangent by the green blobs comment

I (optimistically)look forward to seeing this get full funding and completed in hopefully the next 2-ish years

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 6:07 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
I originally popped in to say the renderings look pretty good, that it looks like they really tried to make it a fun space for as many as possible given the size...then was taken off tangent by the green blobs comment

I (optimistically)look forward to seeing this get full funding and completed in hopefully the next 2-ish years
The green blobs are remnants of the very po-mo esque 1980s streetscaping that used to be all along Jasper Ave from 97 St. to 109 St. Thankfully, that entire stretch will eventually be redesigned, as a chunk has already been completed from 97 to 101 Streets. When the remaining 101 - 109 St. chunk starts construction (at some point in the future), those green blobs will thankfully disappear.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 6:39 PM

I have deep emotions regarding those green globes. I have lived over 30 years in the core. When the structures were ripped out it felt to me what East Germans must have felt when the Berlin Wall came down … seriously!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2023, 12:30 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
The green blobs are remnants of the very po-mo esque 1980s streetscaping that used to be all along Jasper Ave from 97 St. to 109 St. Thankfully, that entire stretch will eventually be redesigned, as a chunk has already been completed from 97 to 101 Streets. When the remaining 101 - 109 St. chunk starts construction (at some point in the future), those green blobs will thankfully disappear.
Ahhh that makes sense.

Glad to hear it'll be redesigned. I like the prairie grass or whatever it's called on the redesigned stretch you mentioned. The city should have a charity auction for the green blob globes. There's always someone that would buy them for nostalgia sake

I say bring on more street trees and landscaping to Jasper Ave.

I wish there was Canada funding grants to re-tree our downtowns. Of course someone has to maintain the trees too which a lot of cities seem to struggle with (not unique to Edmonton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
I have deep emotions regarding those green globes. I have lived over 30 years in the core. When the structures were ripped out it felt to me what East Germans must have felt when the Berlin Wall came down … seriously!
Which side of the wall are you on?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2023, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Thanks for the info!

Seeing how the downtown streetscaping its obviously years away from being completed, it would be nice if the city would at least paint all the old outdated green hardware (traffic lights, benches, ect) to clean it up and hide all the rust.

That alone would make a HUGE difference and not a big cost.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 5:14 PM
Community Guy

Construction next spring, but 'opening' not until Nov '25, which basically means Summer 2026.

Pavilion is scaled back and is the fountain now just an 'ornamental' feature?

Anything else?

Full report:
https://www.edmonton.ca/sites/defaul...?cb=1700153975

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 6:33 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Construction next spring, but 'opening' not until Nov '25, which basically means Summer 2026.

Pavilion is scaled back and is the fountain now just an 'ornamental' feature?

Anything else?

Full report:
https://www.edmonton.ca/sites/defaul...?cb=1700153975
The fountain was always intended to be ornamental from the begining of the design and a cafe/CRU space in the pavillion was discussed but ultimately not implemented (although there is a 'kitchen' area located inside still, I think).

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 8:42 PM

^ Sounds like an Edmonton project. Start out with big dreams and then end up with a disappointment.

Underwhelming.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 10:32 PM

^ And don't forget, nothing also says Edmonton like stopping proper maintenance and upkeep, due to chasing of the next new project to cut the ribbon at.

The most Edmonton thing you can do.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 9:28 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 3:49 AM
Community Guy

Project update - February 2024
Preliminary design for Warehouse Park is now complete and construction is anticipated to begin in spring 2024.

The design development for the Warehouse Park pavilion has been finalized. This pavilion will include facilities for public restrooms and a multipurpose space serving as a central feature within the park.

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...hbourhood-park

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 4:18 AM
SUSPENDED

I must stay positive...I will stay positive about this project.

Ohhh, for Fox creek...it's gonna be a drug/bums paradise.

Still trying to stay positive.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 5:41 PM

More design awards in the making? I hope so. Stoked.

Fully open by 2025? Or is there a lot of utility work?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 11:20 PM
Community Guy

Sounds like some initial action has commenced according to Glenco on SRC with the blvd trees being removed.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton