HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 29, 2010, 10:00 PM

Formula 1

The eastside is the only part of town that could handle dispersing traffice after an event like that. The traffic issues is horrible on the west side, thanks to all the westside nimby's shooting down any improvements to the roads out there. No one wants SH45 out there because they don't want the increased traffic it could bring to their neighborhoods.
The Eastside makes more sense.

Old Posted May 30, 2010, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feconi View Post
The stretch of freeway you reference in SA has 139,000 vehicles per day on six lanes. The stretch of I-35 in Austin that I'm referencing has 227,000 vehicles per day on six lanes. I'm guessing you're not on I-35 in Austin much.
Nope, I live here in South Austin in between I-35 and Mopac, I take Mopac about 90% of the time. I avoid it like the plague. My wife works right off I-35 between 290/183 and when I have had to pick her up from work it doesn't seem as bad as I have seen in the past. What I was really saying is that interstate traffic is pretty much bad in the major cities anywhere, San Antonio is not immune or some tremendous oasis of no traffic issues. If someone thinks Austin is the "worst in the world" then they must not have seen much of the world or driven in those places with major traffic issues. Most people think "traffic is bad" when they can't set the cruise 60 mph on an interstate highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The problem with I-35 is everyone and their dog uses it. And it's used by many more people than just Austinites. I-35 is the main north/south route in the US for transportation. People like to blame Austin for the traffic on it, but really the problem is much greater than just city traffic. Most of our other major highways are no where near as bad. Mopac can be a pain sometimes, but really I don't think anything comes close to I-35.

Loop 610 in Houston can be pretty bad. We've been stuck there more than a handful of times. And I-35 through Dallas can be bad. San Antonio though has pretty good flow, but there have been times when I-35 has been at a crawl there too.

The thing is, that's just the nature of highways.
I commuted to Dallas for four months in 2005, leaving at 6:00 am on Monday mornings I would say a good 80% of the traffic on I-35 was semi-truck traffic, bumper to bumper all the way to the I-35 split near Hillsboro. Most of those were probably out of San Antonio or points further south, I was getting on at William Cannon so I was having to head through town every morning.

Old Posted May 31, 2010, 11:10 PM
Meh

It does sound promising when you read about their ability to fund this. Also, this article mentions that they never approached any wealthy car enthusiasts in Texas. Now that those people know about the planned track, they say they'd like the chance to help pay for it.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/pro/...ny-718374.html
Quote:
F1 Austin announcement a big surprise to many

By John Maher

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Published: 8:54 p.m. Sunday, May 30, 2010

While there is some skepticism in racing circles about announced plans to bring a Formula One event to Austin in 2012, there is also plenty of support and enthusiasm for the project both locally and internationally.

One of the oddest things about Tavo Hellmund's plan to build a $250 million Formula One racing facility is that people who would seem to be the most likely investors — very wealthy Texan car enthusiasts — aren't. Most weren't even approached. Neither were their friends. That segment had no idea Hellmund's project was in the works — and some of them apparently would at least like a chance to get in on the action.

Last week, Hellmund said his investment group was complete and sufficient to pull off the grand project, but he left open the possibility that other investors could be added.

One person who did hear some buzz was Tracy Krohn, founder and CEO of W&T Offshore, Inc. In recent years the Houston oilman has been ranked in Forbes' Top 400 wealthiest Americans and in the Top 1,000 in the world. Krohn is not only the owner of Krohn Racing, he's an avid driver. This weekend he's at the 2010 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series at Lime Rock Park in Connecticut for the Memorial Day Classic.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 6:15 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/texas-...ll-721621.html
Quote:
Texas taxpayers would foot 1st Formula One bill
Budget rider allows $25 million in state money to be used for fee to bring international race.

By Eric Dexheimer

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Published: 9:25 p.m. Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Contrary to earlier assertions, Texas taxpayers are putting up the first $25 million in a deal aimed at luring Formula One racing to Austin.

And the money, to be deposited in the state's Major Event Trust Fund, would pay the sanctioning fee London-based Formula One Group charges for the privilege of hosting the first of 10 annual F1 races planned for Austin beginning in 2012. Austin resident Tavo Hellmund would organize and promote the races.

Last week, state officials said money from the fund would not go to the promoter but to local governments to reimburse them for costs incurred in hosting such large sporting events. Previously, the fund, which has been used to cover costs associated with hosting the Super Bowl and baseball and basketball all-star games, has been generated from sales taxes and other tax receipts in host communities that are attributable to spending at the event.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2010, 2:35 AM
Meh

Man, check out the grand stands and, is that a hotel in the 2nd pic?

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...inglePage=true
Quote:
Formula One racetrack designer was recruited for an Austin racing venture once before
Last project to which Hermann Tilke's name attached was a country club for enthusiasts that got a red flag from economy.

By John Maher

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Updated: 10:28 p.m. Saturday, June 5, 2010
Published: 9:36 p.m. Saturday, June 5, 2010

Aside from billionaire boss Bernie Ecclestone, few figures in the flamboyant world of Formula One racing are more polarizing than Hermann Tilke, a 55-year-old German engineer.

When Tilke GmbH was announced as the designer for the proposed Austin Grand Prix track, race fans here and around the globe were quick to post scathing comments on websites charging that Tilke and his "boring" courses were killing racing. "Effete," "sterile" and "characterless" are some of the adjectives heaped by self-appointed critics on his designs.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2010, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Man, check out the grand stands and, is that a hotel in the 2nd pic?

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...inglePage=true
Most of the Tilke tracks are kind of boring, Instanbul (where the last F1 race was held) is one of the better tracks, especially the 5 apex "neck stretcher" turn. I don't know whether it is his track designs or the terrain that makes them less interesting than the older, traditional tracks like Spa Francorchamps. Most of them have been done in locations without much terrain, like the deserts of the Middle East, Shanghai or Maylaysia. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2010, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
Most of the Tilke tracks are kind of boring, Instanbul (where the last F1 race was held) is one of the better tracks, especially the 5 apex "neck stretcher" turn. I don't know whether it is his track designs or the terrain that makes them less interesting than the older, traditional tracks like Spa Francorchamps. Most of them have been done in locations without much terrain, like the deserts of the Middle East, Shanghai or Maylaysia. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with.
Honestly, it's hard for us Americans to understand what a "boring" or "interesting" track is. We just know ovals. Beyond that we wonder about the grandstands and box suites, RV sites, parking, etc.

Sad, I know.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2010, 1:45 AM

It appears that Bernie's true motive has been revealed...The Austin GP announcement was really a ploy to get the New York area to up its bid for the Grand Prix....Even thought Austin would be the "real USGP" the New York race would quickly overshadow Austin's race....The clout of New York and its hugh population, media, and international access has ended this dream for Austin....Too bad...It would have changed this city more than anything since the early tech immigration of the 60's and 70's...Austin never had a chance...The guy is a snake and that's an insult to the snake community.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 9:44 AM

I always knew it was probably to good to be true. Just like the white water waller creek. It would have been something new that no other downtown had but no. They go for the lame river walk that every other city these days are makeing. TStacy's Tower, Villa muse, Lady B lake Boardwalk, Museum tower, Green being finished by 2014 , H.E.B. downtown, Childrens Museum at the W, a real commuter rail and much much more. It just makes me sad, and none of these things usually say that its not going to happen they downgrade it into something that doesn't even matter or just plain out don't say anything at all or even worse say it will happen in the next four years and then they say next four years just like the overpasses at I35 and Benwhit/ 71 Its always going to be but isn't.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 4:34 PM

It's okay let New York or some other state have it, we still got alot of great things to be proud for, Austin needs a major attraction something different like an indoor ski area or a small disney theme park not sure if that would go well with Earthquest and six flags close to each other but its a start

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 5:45 PM

At least the city is giving that dead thug's family $ 750,000...Gee , where do they put their priorities....This will continue until people in NW and SW Austin get tired of the silliness and vote....

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin242 View Post
I always knew it was probably to good to be true. Just like the white water waller creek. It would have been something new that no other downtown had but no. They go for the lame river walk that every other city these days are makeing. TStacy's Tower, Villa muse, Lady B lake Boardwalk, Museum tower, Green being finished by 2014 , H.E.B. downtown, Childrens Museum at the W, a real commuter rail and much much more. It just makes me sad, and none of these things usually say that its not going to happen they downgrade it into something that doesn't even matter or just plain out don't say anything at all or even worse say it will happen in the next four years and then they say next four years just like the overpasses at I35 and Benwhit/ 71 Its always going to be but isn't.
One thing on your list is already under construction. The IH35/SH71 interchange build out is pretty far a long.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2010, 2:57 AM

The manufacturers and teams have been pushing for two US races for years, well before the Indy USGP came and went. More than likely one would be paired with Canada in June and the other could be paired with Brazil late in the season.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2010, 5:23 AM

Yah but it took them 30 years.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 3:10 AM

Interview with Tavo Hellmund in GP Week Magazine, page 22. He says the announcement on location should be this week.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 3:39 PM
Austinite

Did anyone catch this article in the Statesman last month... there is speculation that the track will locate on a large plot of land south and east of Bergstrom and Tx130 (Near Elroy)

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...-a-770105.html

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=30.142...,0.219727&z=13

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 7:11 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Well if its going to be this week it will need to be either this evening, through Possibly as late as Saturday...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 11:13 PM

I'm pretty sure that interview quoting Hellmund as saying he'd release the location "this week" is a couple of weeks old (despite the magazine cover date). So I wouldn't expect an announcement. However, FWIW, a couple of new articles today (7/15):

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100715/F1/100719908

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...tavo-hellmund/

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...gs_focal_point

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 12:28 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Okay KVUE is going to have a story tonight at 10 about the location and ground breaking timeframe....

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Okay KVUE is going to have a story tonight at 10 about the location and ground breaking timeframe....
Must be an exclusive, Google News/Statesman/ABJ have nothing about it. Will definitely be looking forward to some new info!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin