HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 1:24 AM
Meh

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 2:28 AM

When the Capitol building truly dominated the skyline, and I use the word skyline loosely. I get why so many people wanted to always keep the Capitol building the prominent structure in Austin, to keep it from becoming a buried treasure, which it is becoming despite the cvc.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 2:35 AM

This photo is from Kevin's link a few posts up. That is one ugly building on the right.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Edit: Put a misshapen glass cube on top and we got a 405 Colorado!

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 3:41 AM
Meh

^That's the Jesse H. Communications Building at UT. It's where they used to film Austin City Limits, before it moved to the Moody Theatre next to the W Hotel.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 8:53 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
When the Capitol building truly dominated the skyline, and I use the word skyline loosely. I get why so many people wanted to always keep the Capitol building the prominent structure in Austin, to keep it from becoming a buried treasure, which it is becoming despite the cvc.
I agree in part. I think that the CVCs will provide a really cool perspective once the lots around them flesh out more. And regarding the "buried treasure" part, I think that is sort of fun in some ways. It's always neat for me in a new city to turn a corner and see something really awesome and historic, not to mention architecturally interesting/unique.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 4:51 AM
Meh

Cool drone video of a moonlight tower being put back in place in East Austin after restoration.

https://www.facebook.com/overaustin/...9922425044357/

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 1:10 AM

I assume it was returned to its historically correct location, but it doesn't seem to be in a place that suits it anymore. Its purely residential with a much larger tree canopy. It will go pretty much unnoticed unless you live under it. I think it should have been relocated in the park next to th Federal Courthouse.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 4:01 AM

Quote:
I assume it was returned to its historically correct location, but it doesn't seem to be in a place that suits it anymore. Its purely residential with a much larger tree canopy. It will go pretty much unnoticed unless you live under it. I think it should have been relocated in the park next to th Federal Courthouse.
I live a block away from this one. Some of the homes here date to the first decade of the 20th century as my neighbors are 1909 and 1910. AFAIK this block has always been all/mostly residential so someone must have been thinking this was a good spot. Now that you mention it they could have put it 2 blocks to the north at Cesar Chavez (former East 1st St). That being said many of the towers have been moved over the years with the wiki article claiming only 6 of the 17 remaining are at their original locations.

I think there has been a large tree canopy here for generations, but it does block the views from some angles. I can see it through my east facing windows.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I live a block away from this one. Some of the homes here date to the first decade of the 20th century as my neighbors are 1909 and 1910. AFAIK this block has always been all/mostly residential so someone must have been thinking this was a good spot. Now that you mention it they could have put it 2 blocks to the north at Cesar Chavez (former East 1st St). That being said many of the towers have been moved over the years with the wiki article claiming only 6 of the 17 remaining are at their original locations.

I think there has been a large tree canopy here for generations, but it does block the views from some angles. I can see it through my east facing windows.
Curious to know how bright it is, if its a nuisance. I'm all about preserving as much history as possible, the cost to renovate and reinstall this where it is, basically lost to the rest of Austin seems a bit of a waste since as far as I can tell, and correct me if I'm wrong, you would need to be in the neighborhood to see it, even though its probably the tallest structure in that area.
Still, if I lived there, I'd think it would be pretty cool to have. Now if they can keep the kids from climbing it. I have a friend who said he climbed a few and got high while taking in the view, and got busted for doing it once.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Curious to know how bright it is, if its a nuisance. I'm all about preserving as much history as possible, the cost to renovate and reinstall this where it is, basically lost to the rest of Austin seems a bit of a waste since as far as I can tell, and correct me if I'm wrong, you would need to be in the neighborhood to see it, even though its probably the tallest structure in that area.
Still, if I lived there, I'd think it would be pretty cool to have. Now if they can keep the kids from climbing it. I have a friend who said he climbed a few and got high while taking in the view, and got busted for doing it once.
It's bright but not alarmingly so, they augment the street lights. The new LEDs might change this, but I don't expect anything hugely different.

They are way more visible than most historic homes which also cost money in lost tax dollars. You can see then anytime you want by visiting the locations below. They are part of the history of Austin; have a comedy festival named after them; along with a Linklater/McConaughy connection.

Canterbury St. and Lynn St. (NE corner)
Leland St. and Eastside Dr (NE corner)
Monroe St. and S. 1st S (SW corner)
West 4th and Nuece (SW corner)
West 9th and Guadalupe St (SE corner)
W. 12th St. and Blanco St (SE corner)
W. 12th St. and Rio Grande St (NW corner)
W. 15th St. and San Antonio St (SW corner)
W. 22nd St. and Nueces St (SW corner)
W. 41st St. and Speedway St (SW corner)
Zilker Park (used for Zilker Park Christmas Tree)*
Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. and Chicon St (SE corner)
Pennsylvania Ave. and Leona St (NE corner)
E. 11th St. and Trinity St (SE corner)
E. 11th St. and Lydia St (SW corner)
E. Cesar Chavez and Trinity St. (SW corner)

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 3:38 PM

Thanks for the list verybadgnome. I appreciate you posting it.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 1:47 PM

This was posted on Shaggy. That first high-rise boom in the mid 80s was actually pretty decent - at least in terms of quantity if not quality. A couple of these didn't happen due to the onset of that savings & loan meltdown. That recession was worse for Austin than the Great Recession or the dot com crash from what I recall.

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/sho...rojects/page40

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 6:50 PM

Too bad the Lamar Financial Plaza building didn't go up at that time. I was excited about it, then, canceled. I'm glad One Congress got rid of the step up add on. That 80s building boom was actually pretty cool. I lived close to downtown and my wife worked downtown, so I followed and watched all the construction like most of you do today. I didn't hate the designs at the time because at least something was getting built. Waller Creek Place was really the only disaster.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 3:42 AM
Meh

Some of those had some ridiculously low price tags for their size. I've never heard of that Capitol Tower one.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Some of those had some ridiculously low price tags for their size. I've never heard of that Capitol Tower one.
The base on that one was designed like the Alamo. Tacky.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 2:42 AM

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 3:37 AM

Nice. I first got to know Austin in 1968. What a change.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 11:45 PM

It looks like someone snipped off the top of the UT tower in the new picture. Bet that was snuck in on purpose.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 4:44 AM
Meh

Found this old photo of Liberty Lunch showing off the um, interesting "do-it-yourself, patron" landscaping.

Remember in Austin, Tx. when... - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 3:15 PM

That is pretty cool. I can picture people in the parking lot rolling joints and getting high. Pot was so much gentler then. Smoking joints was like drinking beer, today its like moonshine. I prefer the latter.
Since I didn't arrive here until '81, I missed the peak of Austin's high times like when this picture was probably taken.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin