HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 7:06 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Looks like it's gonna be a giant LED screen display

I hope it's like the Sales Force lobby in San Francisco

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 11:26 AM

Photo Bump

August 13th

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
Found some time to get downtown tonight and took a few shots. Here are a couple of them and I will try to post more tomorrow sometime after I finish processing them.

Pics By T-Mac

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 1:32 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Looks like they finished getting all the little LED tiles on line and coordinated for the giant screen. They tried to mimic the marble tile pattern with it when I walked by:

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 7:20 PM
Let It Rise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
Looks like they finished getting all the little LED tiles on line and coordinated for the giant screen. They tried to mimic the marble tile pattern with it when I walked by:
Cool S.P. Hansen, I love the LED screen and what they can do with it.

Thanks for all the photos T-Mac!

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 10:57 PM

It would be nice if the name was simply "The Theater" rather than "George S Eccles and Deloris and their dog, cat, fish, and hamster Theater."

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL,UT View Post
It would be nice if the name was simply "The Theater" rather than "George S Eccles and Deloris and their dog, cat, fish, and hamster Theater."

It will be known simply as "Eccles Theater" 99.99% of the time. Sure, they get the long name plastered across the front. But that's largely the extent of the long name use. It's silly to dwell on this point. It's creating the perception that there is a problem where one really doesn't exist. (The reference to the Eccles' pet fish "Dory," however was clever. She is a bit hard to find in that sea of letters.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 2:40 AM

Someone I know who got a degree in theatre production was telling me they used the wrong spelling of theatre on the building. He said because it was a performing arts theatre, and not a movie theater, that the sign should read re and not er. Anyone know if that is true?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
Someone I know who got a degree in theatre production was telling me they used the wrong spelling of theatre on the building. He said because it was a performing arts theatre, and not a movie theater, that the sign should read re and not er. Anyone know if that is true?
I think your friend is wrong.

From the Grammarist:

"In most contexts, there is no difference in meaning between theater and theatre. Neither has any special definitions in general usage. The main thing that most English speakers and learners need to know is that theater is the preferred spelling in American English, and theatre is preferred virtually everywhere else."

In your friend's defense, the non-American spelling of theatre is often used in the USA. But it's not a hard and fast rule that it must/should be followed in all non-cinema theaters.

It is worth noting that the section of NYC where all the broadway theaters are located is called "the Theater district." Many of the individual theaters on broadway do use the non-American spelling of "theatre" in their individual names. Pioneer Theatre company in SLC also uses the "theatre" spelling. But it seems to be a matter of preference, not a matter of strict rule. I think they made a fine call with the Eccles Theater.

Last edited by borninslc; Aug 19, 2016 at 3:12 AM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 3:58 AM

I've also heard that "Theatre" has come to refer to the craft of stage performances and "Theater" to the actual physical building.
I'm guessing that's just what the rationalization is for the different spellings, rather than the official reason, but those that accept that will say the theater is spelled correctly.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 4:20 AM
They all float down here

Theatre just sounds more established and refined, which is why many performing arts locations are named 'theatre' and not 'theater' is my guess.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninslc View Post
I think your friend is wrong.

From the Grammarist:

"In most contexts, there is no difference in meaning between theater and theatre. Neither has any special definitions in general usage. The main thing that most English speakers and learners need to know is that theater is the preferred spelling in American English, and theatre is preferred virtually everywhere else."

In your friend's defense, the non-American spelling of theatre is often used in the USA. But it's not a hard and fast rule that it must/should be followed in all non-cinema theaters.

It is worth noting that the section of NYC where all the broadway theaters are located is called "the Theater district." Many of the individual theaters on broadway do use the non-American spelling of "theatre" in their individual names. Pioneer Theatre company in SLC also uses the "theatre" spelling. But it seems to be a matter of preference, not a matter of strict rule. I think they made a fine call with the Eccles Theater.
There was also this from the Grammarist:
"Some Americans do make distinctions—for instance, that a theater is a venue while theatre is an art form, or that a theater is a movie theater while a theatre is a drama venue. There is nothing wrong with making these distinctions, but they are not consistently borne out in general usage."

So he wasn't totally correct, but not totally wrong either.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 5:01 AM

Quote:
There was also this from the Grammarist:
"Some Americans do make distinctions—for instance, that a theater is a venue while theatre is an art form, or that a theater is a movie theater while a theatre is a drama venue. There is nothing wrong with making these distinctions, but they are not consistently borne out in general usage."

So he wasn't totally correct, but not totally wrong either.
You're right. I didn't mean to be a jerk by pronouncing your friend "wrong" in some kind of definitive way. He certainly has a point. It really seems to be a matter of preference. They could just as easily have chosen to use the "theatre" spelling. And they wouldn't have been "wrong."

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 2:14 PM
They all float down here

Right. There's nothing wrong with it. The Villa in SugarHouse used to be called 'theatre'.

Which I really, really miss BTW.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 2:50 PM

Yeah, the Villa Theatre was so iconic. Sad that we lose those kind of things.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 4:39 PM

Quote:
I noticed they went with "theater" and while not a hard and fast rule, I thought it would have been better as theatre.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 9:57 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Theatre just sounds more established and refined...
Pretty sure they "sound" exactly the same.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 10:02 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
Not if you say it with a highbrow or British accent. lol

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
I don't pronounce them the same, but neither of my parents is from Utah, so I don't have a Utah accent, even though I grew up here.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 5:04 AM

Well, there's South Towne Center mall... Unless you go back 20 years, there's nothing refined there.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 4:13 PM

I'm with the re crowd.

It may not be a hard and fast rule yet but it seems to be going that way.

I for one thought that a theatre was for live performances.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West