HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 6:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamoforange View Post
Last I checked of your move there you can't send your kids to the English boards.... Cause that sounds like unless your parents went to an English school in Quebec you can't access the English board nor have the right to be served in English and etc.

Yes bilingual will be fine but there aren't that many in Canada for French outside of Quebec.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5348007
If you or the other parent are an anglophone Canadian citizen (generally defined as a person having gone to school in English somewhere in Canada) you can send your kids to English public schools in Quebec.

And even if you're not an anglophone Canadian citizen by that definition, if your kids have already started school in English somewhere else in Canada (ie the kids of Latin American parents who started school in Toronto) then the kids can also go to school in English in Quebec.

All siblings of kids going to English school in Quebec also have the right to English school. As will their kids, grandkids, etc.

If you are from New Brunswick and went to school in French, your kids can't go to public English school in Quebec. (Though they could go to private English school if you are willing to pay.)

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Last I checked of your move there you can't send your kids to the English boards.... Cause that sounds like unless your parents went to an English school in Quebec you can't access the English board nor have the right to be served in English and etc.

Yes bilingual will be fine but there aren't that many in Canada for French outside of Quebec.

I think right to government services in English and right to English education are two different things.

Education rights are defined in the charter of rights
who have received their primary school instruction in Canada in English or French and reside in a province where the language in which they received that instruction is the language of the English or French linguistic minority population of the province, have the right to have their children receive primary and secondary school instruction in that language in that province.

There is no charter right provincial English services in Quebec, so the Quebec government can define how they want.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 6:52 PM

Beat to the punch.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 6:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Beat to the punch.
You added a bit more info though.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 6:57 PM

Quebec... healthcare, language laws, school regs, imposter syndrome (anglophones) and bridges... no thanks.

They've been projecting Vanier as the next best thing for 20 years with no luck.

I think the smaller villages will see big pressure from Barrhaven, Kanata and Orleans for people looking to leave those overgrown suburbs for the smaller village life.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 7:10 PM

Quote:

No English elsewhere in Canada also applies. An increasing problem is if you went to French Immersion they consider that to be a French school but otherwise the law is clear Canada also considered English Quebec. Now they could in the future use notwithstanding to only allow rights to be limited only for the historic English community which is their goal. Moving to Gatineau is less risky than moving to Montreal in this case as you can always just move back to Ottawa if it gets too crazy.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 7:17 PM
ハルウララ

I was always under the impression that Montreal road would become the next Hintonburg once improvements were put in place making gentrification easier. Beechwood is a good candidate but is already gentrified and surrounded by old money in Rockcliffe that will NIMBY any sort of large-scale development. Montreal doesn't really have the same issues and is ripe for gentrification.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 7:17 PM

Repeated what someone else said oops

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 7:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
Quebec... healthcare, language laws, school regs, imposter syndrome (anglophones) and bridges... no thanks.
To be perfectly frank, even I honestly don't know why anglos who don't speak at least some French, don't have a personal connection (ie a spouse), and have no interest in it, would choose to live in Gatineau over Ottawa.

Guess it's like our local version of the American "drive until you qualify": "hold your nose about Quebec and French until you qualify".

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I was always under the impression that Montreal road would become the next Hintonburg once improvements were put in place making gentrification easier. Beechwood is a good candidate but is already gentrified and surrounded by old money in Rockcliffe that will NIMBY any sort of large-scale development. Montreal doesn't really have the same issues and is ripe for gentrification.
Agree with this assessment. Montreal road is one of the few central areas with affordable-ish real estate. It has an established mainstreet with opportunity for new businesses. Huge changes are already happening at the west end of the street that should kick start more development. Only drawback is the sad transit.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
To be perfectly frank, even I honestly don't know why anglos who don't speak at least some French, don't have a personal connection (ie a spouse), and have no interest in it, would choose to live in Gatineau over Ottawa.

Guess it's like our local version of the American "drive until you qualify": "hold your nose about Quebec and French until you qualify".
I mean maybe I'm naive but most of us speak some French or more even no?

For me it's one city so really what does it matter if Gatineau is a French run place? How often do I interact with a government institution? If downtown Hull was nicer and I worked in Portage I would for sure live there.

For people who like forest estate style living. Chelsea offers really unrivalled choices. Most of the unaffiliated Anglos I know live there.

Now the suburban developments along Highway 5 or in Aylmer I think are more of a drive till you qualify but both places also offer a lot that equivalent choices in Ontario don't. I think a lot of them cheat too and still use Ottawa recreation, libraries and of course retail and restaurants isn't cheating and easily accessible.

I don't know the net migration numbers but there are lots of Francophones say from Montreal who move to Ottawa for the extra opportunities it offers one being English language education so there is a mix for sure. There is also no Glebe or Westboro or even close on that side of the river.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 8:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post

For me it's one city so really what does it matter if Gatineau is a French run place? How often do I interact with a government institution? If downtown Hull was nicer and I worked in Portage I would for sure live there.

For people who like forest estate style living. Chelsea offers really unrivalled choices. Most of the unaffiliated Anglos I know live there.

Now the suburban developments along Highway 5 or in Aylmer I think are more of a drive till you qualify but both places also offer a lot that equivalent choices in Ontario don't. I think a lot of them cheat too and still use Ottawa recreation, libraries and of course retail and restaurants isn't cheating and easily accessible.

I don't know the net migration numbers but there are lots of Francophones say from Montreal who move to Ottawa for the extra opportunities it offers one being English language education so there is a mix for sure. There is also no Glebe or Westboro or even close on that side of the river.
Not saying there aren't any pros. I just think the cons outweigh the pros for most people.

There are always people who'll try it out (an endless supply in fact, like a revolving door) but eventually I'd wager many of them will move back to Ottawa. Especially if the household doesn't have at least one spouse from Quebec. (It's quite common to buy a starter home in Gatineau, then when it has enough equity in it you sell it and use the money to buy something in Ottawa. Many people did that on my old street. My current street doesn't have starter homes, though.)

Montreal francophones and other Québécois who land in Ottawa also often move to Gatineau once they have kids. Then again, having an anglophone spouse seems to root these people down more firmly on the Ontario side.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 11:22 PM

Quote:

$

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 3:51 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
If you or the other parent are an anglophone Canadian citizen (generally defined as a person having gone to school in English somewhere in Canada) you can send your kids to English public schools in Quebec.
My kids go to French high school. I want them to learn as much in French as they can.

They sorta had thoughts of going to an english secondary school, but mom and dad would have none of that.

They seriously have no problem conversing in English. I remember my father (from rural MB) being afraid he couldn't converse with his grand kids because they would be French.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 4:10 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Yeah, I'm going to call you out on that one. There are a lot of people that don't know a lick of French in Ottawa.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Where will the next Hintonburg be?
This question is ridiculous… two neighbourhoods can’t have the same name.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Yeah, I'm going to call you out on that one. There are a lot of people that don't know a lick of French in Ottawa.
According to the most recent census, 60% of Ottawans only speak English. There's no way to measure this, but there are probably also a fair number of people who can't say they only speak English, but aren't truly bilingual either. I'm thinking people that took French immersion in school and haven't spoken it in years.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
They've been projecting Vanier as the next best thing for 20 years with no luck.
What do you mean by "no luck"?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading Isle View Post
According to the most recent census, 60% of Ottawans only speak English. There's no way to measure this, but there are probably also a fair number of people who can't say they only speak English, but aren't truly bilingual either. I'm thinking people that took French immersion in school and haven't spoken it in years.
Yeah I guess that makes sense and yet I hear everyone say you can't get a job in Ottawa without French. I guess I live in a bubble but everyone I know speaks passable French and most send their kids to French Immersion or even French Public system.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 5:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
This question is ridiculous… two neighbourhoods can’t have the same name.
Well, we could conceivably call one "New Hintonburg" or even "Nouveau Hintonburg"!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation