HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 7:11 PM

Well, the CCEA already owns the land. They just need funding to develop it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 7:17 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I was always hoping that entrepreneurs would form a partnership with the CCEA to develop a permanent amusement and water park on Albion Road. Obviously, the location away from a major highway is not ideal for such an investment. Too bad investors would not consider the proximity to proposed rapid transit as an asset. Maybe when we reach $1.50 to $2.00 per litre gas, thinking will change.
The Ex should forget moving to Albion Road. It is, and has to remain, an urban amusement fair. It belongs in the city. Transit or no transit, I am not taking my kids to the frikkin' boonies to go on rides. I will sooner go to Centre Island or La Ronde. It MUST be in a pedestrian setting, or forget about it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 8:06 PM

Tell that to Larry O'Brien!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 2:54 AM

The name will officially change, due to complaints. It's now Parc Calypso. At least it's less childish.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...2/6784/CPDROIT

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 4:24 PM
Still optimistic

Thank the heavens!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 2:56 AM

That is good news indeed! Good riddance to"Sunnyland"!!!

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 4:10 PM
National Capital Region

site plan application for the alottawata water park

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 5:23 PM
Mooderator

http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com...462709013.php#

Quote:

Water park construction slips behind schedule

By Peter Kovessy, Ottawa Business Journal Staff

Mon, Nov 17, 2008 12:00 AM EST

The future site of the Calypso water park in Limoges. (File photo by Etienne Ranger)

Firms behind Alottawata, Calypso Park still looking to tender significant number of subcontracts

It appears Ottawa-area residents will have to wait a little longer than expected to cool off in the two water parks under construction in the National Capital Region.

Alottawata Park, being built off Highway 416 south of Barrhaven and originally scheduled for a summer 2009 opening, has pushed back its opening date to 2010. This year's heavy rainfalls convinced builders to do more extensive re-grading than originally planned, using crushed concrete and aggregate.

Likewise, the $50-million Calypso Park in Limoges, roughly half an hour east of Ottawa, is almost two months behind schedule. The Quebec-based company building that park remains optimistic this winter's snowfall will arrive late enough for work crews to get back on schedule for a 2009 opening.

But officials say they'll evaluate their progress and decide on an opening date this December.

"Hopefully we're going to be able to give (an opening) date (for) next summer ... That's our goal," says Ginette Robert, vice-president of sales and marketing at Village Vacances Valcartier, which also operates a family theme and water park outside Quebec City.

Ms. Robert says there are currently about 100 workers on the site just off Highway 417, which now sports metal frames for its tallest slides stretching roughly 80 feet in the air. About half its slides have been delivered, some of which are already in place, and the foundations for the wave pool and service buildings have been laid.

Meanwhile, most of the concrete at Alottawata Park will be poured next spring, says Rick Hunter, president of ProSlide Technologies, a firm which also designs and develops water rides to parks around the world and owns Mont Cascades Waterpark north of Gatineau.

"We had to do more re-grading than we originally planned on doing ... (Pushing back the opening date) just made sense. We would have had to have been building through the winter and it was just going to be too tight," says Mr. Hunter.

He says his company is beginning discussions with local contractors to do "significant foundation work" for the wave pool, lazy river, rides, towers and other buildings at the site.

Village Vacances Valcartier also has a significant number of contracts that need to be awarded to build the park's river and equip its restaurants, among other projects. Most contracts have so far been awarded to contractors in Ottawa, Gatineau and Prescott-Russell, says Ms. Robert.

Mr. Hunter says he is building Alottawata "for the long term" and that there's no race to complete his park ahead of Calypso. He has also previously downplayed suggestions of rivalry between the two parks as well as questions of whether the market is large enough to support the two new facilities along with Ottawa's current water park of choice, Mont Cascades.

Earlier this year, however, both Mr. Hunter and opposition politicians questioned the fairness of a $2-million provincial grant given to Calypso out of a rural economic development fund, given that the parks are expected to compete against each other and that Alottawata is financed with private dollars.

And while the poor economic climate is expected to cause consumers to cut back on discretionary spending, Mr. Hunter says regional water and theme parks are, for the most part, "recession-proof."

Noting ProSlide supplied all the major rides to Siam Park in the Canary Islands, which just opened in September, and is working on new parks in Greece, Malaysia and the United States, Mr. Hunter says his industry remains confident that consumers will continue to open their wallets to visit water parks.

"People will still buy food, they'll go to the theatre and, generally, they will go to the day park ... "They won't necessarily get in an airplane as much, but they will drive."

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 3:12 AM
Still optimistic

Hey! I passed by that on my way to Montréal last weekend!

Looks cool!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 3:39 PM

Somewhat old news, but still hasn't been posted on here, both parks now have pushed back opening until summer 2010.

I am a bit disappointed, because every time I drive by Limoges on my way to Montreal and see the new slides, I would get excited about going there this summer.... The overcrowded Mont-Cascades park doesn't cut it anymore

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/travel/...984/story.html

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 5:17 PM

Pretty sure this is the same water park I saw on my way to Montreal last Saturday. It is visible from the highway... And, kind of in middle of nowhere

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 5:20 PM

Looks like it will be a nice one... It is about time for Ottawa. Check this link for some photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/calypsoparc/

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
site plan application for the alottawata water park
For some reason I can't stop laughing when I read the "Alottawata" ... Can you picture your kid asking you: "can we go to a lottaaaaa wattaaaaa?" - "huh? umm... there is plenty of wattaaaa on Rideau Canal. Wanna go for a drive down Colonel By???"

I like the name Sunny Park better...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 3:28 AM
Busy Beaver

must be related to the Austin Powers character, Alotta Fagina

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 12:59 PM

Would an standalone outdoor waterpark be successful though with the short operating season?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 8:19 PM

Just in case you haven't found it yet... web site is here;

http://www.calypsopark.com/

Looks very cool (no pun intended) but at almost $31/day I also find admission a little steep. My concern, given I live in the area, is where are they planning on getting all the water from? There has been no mention of this in everything I've ever read about the park.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 10:05 PM
National Capital Region

^ here's an article with a bit of info
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...779/story.html

Quote:
Eighty per cent of Calypso is finished, including a “forest” of underground pipes, pumping stations and three filtration plants. There is also a desalination plant, because the water that will power Calypso comes from wells that tap into the remains of the prehistoric Champlain Sea.

Calypso was originally scheduled to open this summer, but bad weather, starting with heavy snows in 2007, forced a delay.

Drouin persevered and the park now has a supply of municipal drinking water, new roads and a municipal pumping station. Raw sewage facilities and a supply of natural gas should be in place this fall, much of it thanks to $3 million in infrastructure investments from Nation Township.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 6:04 PM

I wrote them an e-mail a couple months ago, asking about the camping sites they originally planned for the site, but which they do not mention on the new website. They replied in a day, saying that the campground will be built at a later phase, in 2 or 3 years after the opening.

Just drove by again yesterday, while returning from Montreal, and wow, those slides look HUGE!!!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 10:25 PM

I wonder how deep I'd have to go with my well to get some of that "prehistoric Champlain Sea" water. I thought sea water was salty but it can't be any worse than sulfur.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 3:49 PM
Mooderator

Salt water would be cheaper than chlorine to keep the water clean, wouldn't it? (just thinking of my neighbourhood pool where they use salty water).

I guess the salt would corrode the equipment and slides faster though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation