HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 5:23 AM

I presume they are keeping the Children's Museum? My kids loved it. As for the museum as a whole, they could rename it "Museum of First Nations and Some Other Stuff" and it wouldn't be any less coherent than it is now.

The problem with that museum is that it never found a theme or narrative to hold it together. Ask someone to describe their last visit there, and they'll say something about totem poles and trail off. Civilization is just too broad a topic; it's even broader than History. You could credibly declare any random Starbucks in Ottawa to be a museum of civilization. Just walk in and look around: you've got currency, written language, material culture, social customs, even mating rituals on occasion... It's all civilization.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 11:28 AM
Closed account

What's the ROM about? It's a mess of priorities - textiles, dinosaurs, minerals and gems, cultural artifacts etc. Museum of Civilization was a museum about human history. I actually think it has a very tight Canadian focus as it is. Aboriginal history, settlement history, and even the Children's museum focuses on multiculturalism. The new name doesn't really change that and thankfully doesn't restrict its scope.

It always seems to me that when someone doesn't know what to do, they focus on branding in order to make it seem like they are doing something worthwhile.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 1:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Yup, I think the figure was 25 million dollars, or so they say.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ottawa-...story-1.997909

But hey, plenty of public service cuts to go around!!!
Note also that it is from Canadian Heritage's EXISTING BUDGET, which means they will likely have to cut elsewhere to find the money to pay for this.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 1:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodionx View Post
I presume they are keeping the Children's Museum? My kids loved it. .
I haven't heard anything about the future of the Children's Museum. To be quite honest, it's not very "Canadian" and may be the most "global" and "non-Canadian" permanent section of the entire museum.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 3:58 PM

Children's Museum is staying as it is, but the Postal Museum will be dismanteled.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I haven't heard anything about the future of the Children's Museum. To be quite honest, it's not very "Canadian" and may be the most "global" and "non-Canadian" permanent section of the entire museum.
I heard on the radio today that it will definately stay. Good thing too as it is the most popular permanent part of the museum for tourists and locals alike.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 1:25 PM

Now that I think about it, it's ironic that the Postal Museum is getting the boot since Canada Post is on it's way to being history.

Last edited by J.OT13; Oct 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 5:14 AM

Canada Post dumped the Postal Museum in the eighties. It was the unwanted stepchild of Ottawa museums for a while. No one wanted it, but no one wanted to be held responsible for tossing the collection, so eventually it was shoehorned into the artifact dumpster that is the Museum of Civilization, which didn't want it either. Looks like it has finally reached the end of the line.

Canada Post, however, is indestructible. You could put it in a microwave and it would just carry on doing what it does.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 7:14 AM

I work at CP. In 20 years it will simply be another parcel service that happens to deliver a few letters here and there.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
The Museum of Civilization and the National Art Gallery were both initiatives spearheaded by Trudeau, and Trudeau launched construction of both projects (for the Museum of Civilization, he dressed up as a coureur des bois and rowed a bark canoe from Parliament to the site of the Museum to launch its construction), but they were completed in the Mulroney years. But note that Mulroney had NOTHING to do with these projects; he simply came into power when they were both under construction.

Here, from the museums websites are links to their history. For the Civilization, go down to the 80s

http://www.civilization.ca/about-us/...f-civilization

It's the direct link to the 80s for the National Gallery

http://www.gallery.ca/en/about/1980s.php
I think their name lost some focus in the shift to political correctness. They used to be called the Museum of Man. It was the counterpart to the Museum of Nature.

I'm happy with it being called the Canadian Museum of History. Sometimes history isn't civilized. And frequently critical historical events don't have an immediate impact on the progress of civilization.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 2:10 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Sneak peek: aboriginal stories get their due in museum's budding History Hall

Don Butler, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: January 19, 2016 | Last Updated: January 19, 2016 8:54 PM EST

VIDEO

Critics who predicted the Canadian Museum of History would focus on the military and the monarchy in its new $30-million History Hall may have to eat their words.

Royalty and armaments were conspicuous by their absence during the Citizen’s exclusive look this week at the Gatineau museum’s 40,000-square-foot future centrepiece, billed as the largest and most ambitious exhibition on Canadian history ever undertaken.

On the other hand, the history of the country’s indigenous peoples will occupy a lot of real estate in the three galleries of the History Hall, the replacement for the museum’s now-demolished Canada Hall.

The first three “content chunks” that visitors will encounter in the Early Canada gallery, covering the period from the ice age to the British conquest, deal with Canada before the arrival of Europeans, said David Morrison, the museum’s research director.

Stories about indigenous history also show up in the other two galleries, including sections on the 19th Century treaties with the Crown, the malign impact of the Indian Act and residential schools, the rise of native activism and First Nations art.

“What we’re doing in this hall is integrating aboriginal history into mainstream, ordinary Canadian history,” said Morrison. “Aboriginal people have been a vital part of Canadian history since the beginning. Getting them into the narrative is, I think, crucial.”

The second gallery, Colonial Canada, covers the period up to the First World War, while the third gallery, Modern Canada — positioned on a wide mezzanine overlooking the other two galleries — brings the narrative to the present day. (It will even include something about the current arrival of Syrian refugees.)

Unlike the Canada Hall, which relied heavily on reproductions, the new History Hall will focus on authentic objects, said president and CEO Mark O’Neill. “We really want to rely on the power of the artifact.”

Among them is a cloak worn by Gen. James Wolfe, who died in the pivotal Battle of the Plains of Abraham in 1763. The cloak is currently in Buckingham Palace’s Royal Collection, but officials there have agreed to provide it to the museum.

Visitors will also see the handcuffs worn by Métis rebellion leader Louis Riel as he ascended the scaffold in 1885. The cuffs have been in the Canadian War Museum’s collection for years but have never been displayed publicly.

The only piece of architecture from the old Canada Hall to survive the transition was its sole authentic building — St. Onuphrius Church, a Ukrainian church from Smoky Lake, Alberta, dating from 1907.

Movers raised it and set it onto steel beams, greased with Dove soap, to shift it to its new location, where it will help tell the story of the immigrants who flooded into Canada’s empty spaces in the late-19th and early-20th centuries.

The Modern Canada gallery “has proved to be the most difficult space to conceptualize,” Morrison said, “because there are so many potential stories and because so much of it is in living memory. But we finally got there in the last three or four months.”

The new hall is on schedule and on budget. Construction began last July and is now nearly 60 per cent complete, said Chantal Amyot, the project’s director. It’s expected to be finished by the end of June, after which the museum will begin installing the content.

Though the History Hall will open officially on July 1, 2017, “the objective is to be ready by the end of March 2017, so we have a bit of time with specialized groups to test,” Amyot said.

At present, much of the new hall still resembles a construction site, with a tangle of overhead pipes and heating ducts and unpainted walls on its lower level.

Work on the mezzanine is more advanced. Its wooden floors are in place and the preparation of architect Douglas Cardinal’s signature domed ceiling is nearly finished.

A circular central hub, meant by Cardinal to represent the sacred Chaudière Falls, connects the three galleries, offering access to the mezzanine level along a gradually ascending ramp. The ramp’s steel frame has already been assembled and is awaiting installation.

When he designed the museum in the 1980s, Cardinal’s vision was that the History Hall space would represent the immensity of Canada. But the inspiring vistas he imagined were obscured by the Canada Hall’s rather cluttered installations, Amyot said. The new hall, with its curvilinear lines, should finally rectify that, she said.

Morrison wants the stories in the hall to speak to Canadians at a personal level.

“This history is everything, literally,” he said. “It isn’t just a bunch of bloody dates. It’s everybody’s family story, it’s all around us, it shapes us and we shape it.”

dbutler@postmedia.com
twitter.com/ButlerDon

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...g-history-hall

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 1:15 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

History Museum theatre upgrades into the future

Aidan Cox, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: February 29, 2016 | Last Updated: February 29, 2016 7:10 PM EST

The Canadian Museum of History is done with the past — or at the very least, its theatre is.

The theatre is changing its name from Imax Theatre to CINÉ+ in anticipation of a newly acquired digital laser film projector.

“We can no longer call it IMAX Theatre because we are no longer affiliated with IMAX,” said Michèle Canto, director of marketing and business operations at the museum.

The new Barco digital projector, set to launch on March 25, will allow the museum to play a much wider variety of films and programs to audiences, including feature-length films, documentaries, live broadcasts and animated movies, according to Canto. No longer restricted to the 200-pound rolls of analogue film, the digital projectors will be able to play Blu-Ray discs or stream satellite television.

“The laser light will make the image much more bright and clear and the colours will look much richer,” said Canto.

The museum’s switch to digital was an overdue and necessary move, as fewer movies are being produced for the film format, Canto added.

“The ‘+’ basically refers to more programming, better programming, so it’s a plus in many ways,” said Canto, referring to the name.

For now, the projector will only be running for the theatre’s large flat-screen. The technology is not ready for viewing in the theatre’s dome format, but is likely a year or two away depending on the cost and how well the theatre preforms, said Canto.

The launching of the new laser projector this Easter will make the museum the fourth location in Canada where the technology is available.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...nto-the-future

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 6:55 AM

I'm glad the Children's Museum is staying. I was an ambassador at the Children's Museum in 1996, it was my first job! I haven't been in there for almost twenty years, but I am really looking forward to bringing my daughter there when she's a little older (6 months right now).

As for the theater, I think I'm happy? They never capitalized on major motion picture that have been filmed in part or in whole in Imax. I would have loved to see The Dark Knight or dozens of other recent event films there in true Imax, but for some reason they never played them.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation