HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 11:33 PM

A few of those will be in London that same week for Rock The Park (Neil Young, Nickelback, Tyler Childers, Tea Party). Interesting mix of some country acts mixed in with other acts instead of having a country centered night.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 1:00 AM

Bluesfest lineup hasn’t been good for a solid 10 years. The lineup is very underwhelming compared to festivals in Montreal or Toronto for the same price…

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntclub View Post
Bluesfest lineup hasn’t been good for a solid 10 years. The lineup is very underwhelming compared to festivals in Montreal or Toronto for the same price…
Which Toronto Festival do you think is better for the money? You’ve got to remember that Bluesfest is 10 days of music.

Last year’s Bluesfest was hugely successful, so pretty hard to make a general statement that the lineup wasn’t good. The festival tends to be eclectic, but that’s part of what makes it pretty unique. Ottawa people don’t tend to realize what they have.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 1:18 PM

I feel like every year Bluesfest ends up being better than we think when the lineup is released, so once again cautiously optimistic.

However, I am continuously disappointed that they have stopped getting young, up-and-coming hip hop artists. Don't get me wrong, it will be great to see Nas and Killer Mike (politics aside), but 50 Cent hasn't had a relevant album in over a decade.

For example, look at Osheaga's lineup: SZA, Denzel Curry, Lil Tjay, Fridayy, Kevin Abstract. We couldn't have gotten one or two of those artists? But they know their market now is country music and throwback rock artists.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeofthewood View Post
I feel like every year Bluesfest ends up being better than we think when the lineup is released, so once again cautiously optimistic.

However, I am continuously disappointed that they have stopped getting young, up-and-coming hip hop artists. Don't get me wrong, it will be great to see Nas and Killer Mike (politics aside), but 50 Cent hasn't had a relevant album in over a decade.

For example, look at Osheaga's lineup: SZA, Denzel Curry, Lil Tjay, Fridayy, Kevin Abstract. We couldn't have gotten one or two of those artists? But they know their market now is country music and throwback rock artists.
Could be purely a rumour but I heard Bluesfest stopped aiming for more current hip-hop artists after the Migos “fiasco” a few years ago. Apparently the crowd was too rowdy for all the pearl-clutchers who prefer that Bluesfest be a place where you rock up with a lawn chair instead.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTcrawler View Post
Could be purely a rumour but I heard Bluesfest stopped aiming for more current hip-hop artists after the Migos “fiasco” a few years ago. Apparently the crowd was too rowdy for all the pearl-clutchers who prefer that Bluesfest be a place where you rock up with a lawn chair instead.
Oh 100%. I've never heard anything official, but this was the one that ruined it, with the fence getting knocked over and stuff. Other than the insanity of the fence getting knocked over, the crowd was no different than any hip hop festival I've been to in Montreal or Toronto. Too bad.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeofthewood View Post
Oh 100%. I've never heard anything official, but this was the one that ruined it, with the fence getting knocked over and stuff. Other than the insanity of the fence getting knocked over, the crowd was no different than any hip hop festival I've been to in Montreal or Toronto. Too bad.
Yeah. In fairness, even hip hop acts/festivals in those cities have been dealing with an increased level of hooliganery that even they’re not willing to tolerate (incidents at Rolling Loud come to mind) so that does speak a little bit to how volatile the current generation of that genre’s fans can be.

That being said, still a massive copout and disappointment for Bluesfest to give up on it completely. Learn from past mistakes, prepare accordingly, and step up to the challenge instead of abandoning an entire segment of your market.

Looking back at Bluesfest lineups from 2018 and 2019, it’s insane some of the names on there. If we can’t get back to that, I wonder if Escapade would go a similar route as Veld in Toronto and start incorporating a few hip hop acts as part of a predominantly EDM festival. Escapade organizers deserve a lot of credit for consistently bringing the biggest names in the EDM world to town.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 10:31 PM
Mooderator

The last time I've ever had fun at Bluesfest was in 2007, when the White Stripes were there.

(end curmudgeonly post)

ok. bonus:

Last edited by harls; Mar 4, 2024 at 10:43 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 5:18 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Female artists including Kathleen Edwards, Norah Jones and Laufey lead charge at 2024 Ottawa Jazz Festival
The festival runs from June 21 to 30, in Confederation Park, Festival Plaza and the National Arts Centre.

Peter Hum, Ottawa Citizen
Published Mar 05, 2024 • Last updated 2 hours ago • 3 minute read

This summer’s Ottawa Jazz Festival will see Confederation Park brim with the sounds of earthy New Orleans music, a jazz-rock guitar hero and, above all, female vocalists and singer-songwriters.

The festival, which for years has striven for gender parity in its programming, is showcasing on its main stage Ottawa-based singer-songwriter Kathleen Edwards (June 25), the potent Boston-based band Lake Street Dive that includes Rachael Price as its lead singer (June 27), the young Icelandic sensation Laufey (June 28), folk-jazz star Norah Jones (June 29) and jazz singer Veronica Swift (June 30).

These and other bookings continue the festival’s “conscious push” to book female musicians, says Petr Cancura, the festival’s interim executive director and longtime programming manager.

“It is inspiring to see how many more female artists are active on today’s music scene, artists who are creating some unified music representative of the times,” Cancura says.

The festival runs from Friday, June 21, to Sunday, June 30, although all of its stages will be dark on Monday, June 24.

The festival’s opening-night headliner on June 21 in the park will be the funky New Orleans hornman Trombone Shorty, while the staunchly traditional Preservation Hall Jazz Band is to play in the park on June 23. Veteran guitarist Al Di Meola, renowned for his high-velocity playing with Return to Forever in the 1970s, is to play Confederation Park on June 26. A headliner for June 22 is still to be announced.

<more>

https://ottawacitizen.com/entertainm...estival-lineup

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 2:02 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

What’s in a name? There might be one small change this year, but Bluesfest promises to be as good as ever

Mia Jensen, OBJ
March 12, 2024 3:58 PM ET

This summer, Bluesfest is celebrating its 30th anniversary and, incidentally, taking on a slightly different name at the same time.

“The problem that we have is that, after 30 years, everyone asks, ‘What’s different this year?’” festival executive director Mark Monahan told OBJ. “And on the 30th, it’s really no different.”

But those looking closely at this year’s marketing materials may have already noticed one small change.

For over a decade, the music festival has been advertised with a title sponsor and known as RBC Bluesfest. But this year, the festival will simply be called Ottawa Bluesfest, with an updated logo featuring the number 30 to mark its anniversary.

According to Monahan, the change came from RBC, which decided it wanted to shake things up when the time came to sign a new agreement between the two parties.

“In their previous agreement, (RBC) had title to the festival, but they didn’t have title to the main stage,” said Monahan. “When it came up for renewal, they re-signed for another five years and they really felt they wanted the title of the main stage instead.”

From July 4 to 14 at LeBreton Flats, when big name artists like 50 Cent, Mötley Crüe and Nickelback come to the city, they will be taking to the RBC Stage.

For most festival-goers, it’s a minute change, said Monahan: “I think a lot of people have just referred to it as Bluesfest, to be honest with you, over the years.”

Despite the change, Monahan said Bluesfest’s relationship with RBC remains strong.

“Their financial commitment is as great as ever,” he said. “It wasn’t a financial situation. It was more just a preference of what they wanted to have as their main visibility.”

Justin Schurman, regional vice-president of business financial services at RBC, recently congratulated the Bluesfest team on the 30th anniversary of the festival in a post on LinkedIn.

“RBC is proud to welcome so many amazing headliners to the RBC Stage this summer at Ottawa Bluesfest,” he wrote. “This builds on our 13 years of partnership with this leading live music event in the nation’s capital — one of my favourite events of the summer for sure!”

Bluesfest has expanded to cater to a variety of musical sensibilities over the years, said Monahan.

This year’s lineup will feature a number of artists playing Ottawa for the first time, including Tyler Childers and Maroon 5. Also making an appearance will be Neil Young.

“(He’s) the person that we’ve tried so many years to get,” said Monahan. “I don’t think he’s played Ottawa in about 15 years. He’s obviously an iconic Canadian as well as an international star, which I think will be huge for us.”

After hitting the 30-year milestone, Monahan said one goal for the festival going forward is to bring in more programming that engages local businesses and the community.

“Part of the whole financial model is to enlist the support of sponsors and partners that will help support the festival,” he said. “This is a big thrust of ours going forward — developing ways that any business in Ottawa can participate in, whether large or small. We are really working towards developing some meaningful programs that not just the RBCs of the world can participate in, but the smaller businesses as well.”

https://obj.ca/small-change-this-yea...-good-as-ever/

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post

Taking a break out of the Sandcrawler...

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 12:17 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
Taking a break out of the Sandcrawler...
Exactly. Where is Threepio?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 7:53 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Parliament-Funkadelic booked for 2024 Ottawa Jazz Festival
After 15 years, P-Funk returns to O-town, and will play in Confederation Park on June 22.

Peter Hum, Ottawa Citizen
Published Apr 04, 2024 • 1 minute read

The 2024 Ottawa Jazz Festival’s cool factor just doubled with the announcement that the late-June event has booked Parliament-Funkadelic as its last headliner.

Known as P-Funk to its legion of fans, the seminal Afro-futuristic R ‘n’ B collective helmed by George Clinton will play the festival’s Confederation Park main stage on June 22 at 8:30 p.m.

P-Funk last played Ottawa 15 years ago, when the 2009 Ottawa Bluesfest presented the band on a stage in the ByWard Market.
Article content

While P-Funk’s origins date back to the doo-wop group called the Parliaments that Clinton, now 82, formed in the late 1950s, the group became a funk and psychedelic rock trailblazer by the late 1960s.

As the collective’s output grew through the decades, it went on to influence hip-hop, electronica, gospel and soul music. The band received a lifetime achievement Grammy Award in 2019.

Clinton completes the roster of main-stage acts at the jazz festival, which runs from June 21 to 30. Among its previously announced bookings are Laufey (June 28), Norah Jones (June 29), Kathleen Edwards (June 25), the Preservation Hall Jazz Band (June 21), and Lake Street Dive (June 27).

For more information and tickets and passes, go to ottawajazz.com.

https://ottawacitizen.com/entertainm...-jazz-festival

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation