HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityKid View Post
I'm so excited! I can't wait until Monday.
I could not agree with you more.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 6:25 PM
Chaos Machine

I have seen something I think is this project. This will be an interesting competition, and you guys will not be disappointed if the rest of the proposals are evn half as cool.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonious View Post
I have seen something I think is this project. This will be an interesting competition, and you guys will not be disappointed if the rest of the proposals are evn half as cool.
How do you know it is for the Trasbay project...as opposed to the rumored supertalls at Wolfpoint, Kinzie Street, LSE or the project next to river city

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 10:19 PM
Chaos Machine

^Because Chicago doesn't have an 850' Pyramid skyscraper in its skyline, nor a large Golden colored suspension bridge.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 10:54 PM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Where, if I may ask, did you happen to come accross the proposal?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 11:26 PM
Proud upstanding member

How exciting. Something new and actually tall by global standards - proposed in the most architecturally conservative city in the country!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 5:32 AM

Quote:
That doesn't include being half as tall does it?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 6:06 PM

2 days!!!

(and that was my 500th post!)

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 10:05 PM

If anyone goes on August 7th, please get a ton of pictures. I can't wait to see the design!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 10:10 PM

I'm really wishing that sf builds a tower over 1,000ft, hopefully 1300-1500 ft tall. If Nashville can build a tower over a 1,000 ft, I think san francisco can

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 12:17 AM

"3 plans for transit center due Monday
John King

Saturday, August 4, 2007

The three development teams competing for the right to build what could become San Francisco's tallest tower will present their proposals on Monday.

The designs will be shown at a public hearing of the Transbay Joint Powers Authority, a government board created to bring about construction of a new mass transit complex at First and Mission streets. The meeting is at 6 p.m. in the Board of Supervisors' chambers at San Francisco City Hall.

The tower would rise on the site of the current dilapidated bus station. Money from the lease or sale of the land would help finance the estimated $938 million cost of building a new terminal and related structures for commuter buses. Rail line extensions from the Peninsula would be in a second, as-yet-unfunded phase.

The teams will present their designs for the proposed terminal along with conceptual architectural visions of what the competition rules say should be a tower with "an iconic presence that will redefine the city's skyline."

The authority is scheduled to select a design-development team in September.

For more information on the project go to www.transbaycenter.org .

This article appeared on page B - 3 of the San Francisco Chronicle"

I love how it says "an iconic presence that will redefine the city's skyline." !!!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 1:13 AM
BANNED

I heard of something to the essence of a glass spiral shooting into the air, kind of like Chicago Spire but more asymmetrical. That was just one of the proposals, but can't remember which one exactly. Very excited for tomorrow!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 6:06 AM

Its 11 PM Sunday night, so excited...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 6:49 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
I heard of something to the essence of a glass spiral shooting into the air, kind of like Chicago Spire but more asymmetrical. That was just one of the proposals, but can't remember which one exactly. Very excited for tomorrow!
That sounds nice, something like that would fit great at that location. I'll be there of course, and i'll bring my camera and see and I can snag some shots of the projects.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 7:51 AM

To help prevent blurred photos, use a tripod, or rest the camera against something stationary. If nothing else works, use a flash only if allowed, but be careful of potential reflections. The press may also be there, and high quality press release images may soon be available on the internet and in print as well. Personal photos may be a little faster for SSP.

Also, try to get the best information per competition submission regarding total building height (roof and/or structural height) and number of stories. Although these numbers can change, it would be nice to have a good frame of reference for what is currently proposed. The press will be getting this information too, but as we know, sometimes such information can be confused. If you can get any handout materials, please try to get copies and share with us on SSP.

Thanks and good luck to all.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 8:02 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
To help prevent blurred photos, use a tripod, or rest the camera against something stationary. If nothing else works, use a flash only if allowed, but be careful of potential reflections. The press may also be there, and high quality press release images may soon be available on the internet and in print as well. Personal photos may be a little faster for SSP.

Also, try to get the best information per competition submission regarding total building height (roof and/or structural height) and number of stories. Although these numbers can change, it would be nice to have a good frame of reference for what is currently proposed. The press will be getting this information too, but as we know, sometimes such information can be confused. If you can get any handout materials, please try to get copies and share with us on SSP.

Thanks and good luck to all.
Yes Sir.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 2:33 PM
Go Pens!

Anytime now...

Last edited by BANKofMANHATTAN; Aug 6, 2007 at 2:44 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 4:15 PM
BANNED

Let me remind everyone that the submissions will be on display all day tomorrow in the north light court at City Hall.

Also, don't you think they'll quickly put something about them, hopefully including high quality renderings, on the TJPA web site?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 4:18 PM
BANNED

Tonight's meeting agenda

Quote:

6:00 – SPECIAL MEETING
ORDER OF BUSINESS

1. Call to Order

2. Roll Call

3. Communications

4. Board of Director’s New and Old Business

5. Executive Director’s Report

6. Public Comment

Members of the public may address the Authority on matters that are within the Authority's
jurisdiction and are not on today's calendar.

SPECIAL CALENDAR

7. Presentation by Richard Rogers Partnership and Forest City Enterprises with MacFarlane
Partners of their Design Concept for the Transbay Transit Center & Tower Design and
Development Competition.

8. Presentation by Skidmore Owings and Merrill and Rockefeller Group Development
Corporation of their Design Concept for the Transbay Transit Center & Tower Design and
Development Competition.

9. Presentation by Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects and Hines of their Design Concept for the
Transbay Transit Center & Tower Design and Development Competition.

ADJOURN

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Let me remind everyone that the submissions will be on display all day tomorrow in the north light court at City Hall.

Also, don't you think they'll quickly put something about them, hopefully including high quality renderings, on the TJPA web site?
Good points.

Hopefully #6 in the meeting agenda goes quickly and smoothly. Items #7, #8, and #9 are what many of us are very anxious to see.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development