HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 7:27 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Seriously? They were out in front.

Demo of the Stock Exchange, Garrick Theater (protest pictured above), and Penn Station in New York were what gave us the concept of historic preservation to begin with, and federal review for potentially historic resources.
Kudos for them being out there and fighting the fight. I just hope people can see the difference in quality and historical value between the old Stock Exchange building and this one.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 9:02 PM

I was one of the people who received a letter asking for comments on this project. I told them that the building is incredibly ugly, a waste of space and no more valuable than a random assortment of concrete and steel. I want to see this squat building gone!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 12:19 AM
Urbane observer

You realize that, at the time, most people would have said the same about the Stock Exchange? Old, soot-covered, obsolete as office space, covered with all that old-fashioned ornament, holding back progress. Tear it down already so they can build a shiny new highrise.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 12:27 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
You realize that, at the time, most people would have said the same about the Stock Exchange? Old, soot-covered, obsolete as office space, covered with all that old-fashioned ornament, holding back progress. Tear it down already so they can build a shiny new highrise.
Comparing those two buildings like this is a damn sin. Ignoring their obvious differences in historical significance there is some dishonesty in your comment. The Stock Exchange had great masonry, the GG building looks like something that should be in an Oakbrook industrial park

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 2:02 AM
Urbane observer

^That's what most people would have said about Prentice, or about a Paul Rudolph civic building, or about the Maywood Courthouse, or 55 West Wacker, or Inland Steel. In 1910, it's what they'd have said about Glessner House.

We don't assess historic importance based on popular vote. We establish criteria, and do our best to judge based on those. I have my doubts that Morton Salt will meet the criteria, but what's the harm in observing a process?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 3:48 PM
The City

Quote:
^That's what most people would have said about Prentice, or about a Paul Rudolph civic building, or about the Maywood Courthouse, or 55 West Wacker, or Inland Steel. In 1910, it's what they'd have said about Glessner House.

We don't assess historic importance based on popular vote. We establish criteria, and do our best to judge based on those. I have my doubts that Morton Salt will meet the criteria, but what's the harm in observing a process?
I feel like we can still rebuild the GGP and other mid-century modernist buildings, though.

The craftsmanship and building techniques required to build things like the old Stock Exhange Building, however, are largely gone. I think that is one of the big differences.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 4:57 PM
Small but Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I feel like we can still rebuild the GGP and other mid-century modernist buildings, though.

The craftsmanship and building techniques required to build things like the old Stock Exhange Building, however, are largely gone. I think that is one of the big differences.
Honestly, we can always rebuild a building. You just need the money to do so. There will always be some people who are just as skilled as before. Just look at the rebuilding of the Berlin Palace (bombed out in WW2, and destroyed by the communists later)

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 5:38 PM
1st Ward

Heritage buildings can still be built of course, but the issue is that it is no longer economically feasible to do so. New construction will be concrete, steel and glass. Terra cotta and ornate stone work is simply too expensive to build on a wide scale, and lacks the massive supply chain of modern building materials.

How many firms still make terra cotta in the US? Or distribute it for that matter?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 6:09 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...98228&page=105

This kind of made me laugh, beause I remarked on this in this thread. While they cut the cost by doing it curtain wall instead of directly applying it, one of the tallest buildings in the country will, indeed, be faced with expensive terra cotta panels. They also get the price down by the building being so thing, but that's still a crap-load of terra cotta panels.

Of course it's on an luxury residential tower. But, yeah, it is still being done.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post

This kind of made me laugh, beause I remarked on this in this thread. While they cut the cost by doing it curtain wall instead of directly applying it, one of the tallest buildings in the country will, indeed, be faced with expensive terra cotta panels. They also get the price down by the building being so thing, but that's still a crap-load of terra cotta panels.

Of course it's on an luxury residential tower. But, yeah, it is still being done.
It's being done. On one building... I wonder if it can and will be done outside 57th Street where the cheapest units will start at $16 million. I hope so! Because it's a stunner!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post

It's also being used on One Vanderbilt Curbed had a picture of that facade a while back here

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 6:16 PM

Huh.

So they're asking for more FAR?

https://ibb.co/gAzbvG

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 6:39 PM

That is very curious. Would be almost 1M sq ft left after Bank of America's lease.

Let the mystery tenant derby commence.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 6:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Huh.

So they're asking for more FAR?

https://ibb.co/gAzbvG
That's good. So they're looking to add 100k sf? That should make it taller.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 7:30 PM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post

-110 N. Wacker

-DX-16

-office tower

-800’

-PD filed tomorrow 01/18/16

-Current building is 220,000 sq ft

1,350,000 sq ft of rentable area

-40’ high lobby on Wacker Drive

-Roughly 44,000 sq ft site

-20,000 sq ft of riverwalk and landscape area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Low-rise portion will have about 30,000 sq ft per floor.
Mid-rise will have about 28,000 sq ft per floor.
High-rise will have about 26,000 sq ft per floor.

Given these front page numbers and the subsequent change in the design, I'm not sure if 100,000 sq ft means a guaranteed height increase. At least not a substantial one.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 8:09 PM
BANNED

c'mon 850'

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 2:26 AM

Guys, the 100k is probably where the third setback disappeared to. They likely fattened up some of the floors making it disappear.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Guys, the 100k is probably where the third setback disappeared to. They likely fattened up some of the floors making it disappear.
Bingo! The new PD they submitted says they're still at 800 ft: https://chicago.legistar.com/Legisla...vanced&Search=

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 9:50 PM

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/12/1...scraper-design

Wacker Drive office tower tweaks design, asks city for more floor space

Despite a federal review hanging over the project, the developers of the 52-story building are seeking additional density

By Jay Koziarz Dec 15, 2017, 1:06pm CST

Quote:
This week, the developers behind an already-approved office tower at 110 N. Wacker filed a zoning amendment to increase the size of the building by 100,000 square feet. If approved by the City of Chicago, the measure would grow the total floor space of the 52-story Bank of America-anchored skyscraper to a maximum of 1.6 million square feet.

The latest application also confirms a redesign by Chicago architect Goettsch Partners. The move will see the glassy riverfront skyscraper ditch its previous three-setback layout for a beefier—and arguably less elegant—two-tier design.

The previous three-setback design [left] versus the latest version of the project [right]. Goettsch Partners

The change will help accommodate the requested increase in square footage while retaining the tower’s previously approved height of 800 feet. The building’s serrated western facade—designed to maximize views up and down the Chicago River—and its waterfront riverwalk will remain as previously shown.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 12:46 PM

^^ what a shame that stepped back profile was one of the few distinguishing characteristics of what is now a pretty banal glass tower.

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive